Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 05:49 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,547,050 times

Advertisements

I think it makes sense for a buffet-style meal. They may say it's because they hate waste, but it also cuts their profit. Either way, I think it's a good idea. I really dislike food being wasted, on principle.

When a customer pays for each item, that's different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 05:52 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
many times when one acts like a pig, they deserve to be treated as a child !
Problem is if you want to TRY something and find out you don't like it, you should NOT have to explain why you left something on your plate! You think that you should be forced to eat something? There is NEVER a situation when it is acceptable to treat an adult with such disrespect!

Old 05-15-2014, 06:17 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardvanderbosch View Post
Problem is if you want to TRY something and find out you don't like it, you should NOT have to explain why you left something on your plate! You think that you should be forced to eat something? There is NEVER a situation when it is acceptable to treat an adult with such disrespect!
What is wrong with putting a SMALL amount of something on your plate to sample and see if you like it? If you do like it you can go back for more.

No need to pile your plate full of a food you may or may not like.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:20 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I think it makes sense for a buffet-style meal. They may say it's because they hate waste, but it also cuts their profit. Either way, I think it's a good idea. I really dislike food being wasted, on principle.

When a customer pays for each item, that's different.
If people waste food, restaurants will raise prices. It is in the best interest of both diners and restaurants not to waste food.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:06 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,497 times
I ate at a sushi restaurant in either Berkeley or Oakland, CA that did this. It was like, $25 or $35 (I forget) for all you can eat, but if you left anything on your plate, you were charged per piece of sushi you didn't eat. Makes sense to me. At all you can eat places, people's eyes are usually bigger than their stomachs, and they end up wasting a lot of food. With that rule in place, people took small amounts, ate it, then went back for more, and so on. In the end, none of us had any food left on our plates. I think at every other all you can eat place I've been to, I, and the other people at my table, all had food left over.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:13 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,547,050 times
I personally am turned off by the phrase "all you can eat". It sounds gluttonous and unpleasant. Just because you can fit more food into your stomach, does that mean it's a good idea? I don't like being so full that it's uncomfortable.

If I do go to a buffet, I eat what I like and no more. Eating more after that is not healthy nor pleasant. And why waste food? If you eat more than you need, or throw away food, it's not good either way.

This is the opinion of Woodstock and is not the official opinion of the buffets, neither Warren Buffet nor Jimmy Buffet nor any other buffet.

Last edited by WoodstockSchool1980; 05-15-2014 at 08:48 PM..

Old 05-15-2014, 08:46 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
A Swiss restaurant has decided to fine its diners for leaving food on their plates. What do you think about this? Would this deter you from eating at restaurant that has such a policy?

Good Food - Swiss restaurant adopts a food waste fee
You don't have to go as far as a Swiss restaurant. They do it in a lot of buffets in North America. I think it's a great idea. We waste far too much food.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:01 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
I had that experience when I was in high school...went to a Chinese buffet with my boyfriend and the food, especially the seafood, was spoiled. They had signs everywhere saying they'd charge for any food left on the plate, so we sat there and gagged it down, then both had food poisoning afterwards. It was a dumb thing, even as a kid I should have been able to leave it on the plate and just walk away, but the boyfriend was worried about the extra expense. I dumped him a week or two after that.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:04 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
I went to one of those pizza buffet places. It was actually pretty decent. There was a guy who took about 40 pieces of pizza - and took ONE bite of each piece. This was a waste of 75-80% of the pizza.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:23 AM

293 posts, read 558,359 times
The policy of charging for wasted food wouldn't deter me from eating somewhere, although it might deter me from trying out dishes I was unfamiliar with or at least taking more than a bite or two of unfamiliar items on my plate. The policy would definitely deter me from treating anyone else to a meal or offering in advance to pick up the check. I once treated my sister to a Chinese buffet meal where there were signs on the walls asking people to not waste food. Nevertheless, she piled her plate so high that most of her food got cold and became inedible before she touched it, so she left it and went back to the steam tables for more. Luckily I wasn't charged for her waste, possibly because I was a regular customer there and the staff knew me. But I was certainly embarrassed, for that same reason. My sister is the type you all probably recognize - you can't tell her anything. She's impervious to criticism, since the rules don't apply to her. Never again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink