Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Country ham - love it or hate it?
I love it 33 56.90%
I hate it 8 13.79%
It's okay 17 29.31%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 10:28 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times

Advertisements

Just got back from Memphis, where I ate some great country ham and went back to my favorite fried chicken joint - Gus's Famous Fried Chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 09:42 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Default Country ham, yes or no?

Have you had it? Is it good?

I’m reading an article about a family ham company in KY. They are famous for their aged country hams. Included are instructions on how to remove the mold from the outside of the ham. I am thinking this doesn’t sound at all appetizing....eating 3 year old meat after washing the mold off. Apparently, many people buy them, though.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:19 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
Prosciutto is made in a similar manner and I'd eat as much of that as I could get without complaint. But your question makes me realize that no, I have never had a country ham. I see them here, but haven't a clue what to do with them.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:23 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
I'm not a fan of country ham. It's WAY too salty for me and a little gamey.

Others swear by it, though.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:27 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,244,243 times
It might be better to try country ham at a restaurant to see whether you like it. It is more intensely flavored than hams cured by other methods (such as the regular hams you can get at the supermarket), and it is very salty. It should be sliced very thinly and served and eaten in small portions. Small amounts can also be used to flavor other dishes (greens, etc.). Country ham should definitely not be served in large, thick slices as the flavor and saltiness would be overwhelming.

Some supermarkets sell small vacuum-sealed packages of country ham slices. If you could find something like that, you could try it to see whether you liked it before purchasing a whole ham, which can be expensive.

The curing process produces the mold on the outside. It is method used for centuries to preserve pork and if done properly, the hams are perfectly safe to eat. As with anything else, purchasing from a reputable purveyor is your best safety measure.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:33 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
most ladies wont buy meat with too much fat..let alone some mold

thanks for the post....ive had some locally smoked hams.....and you are correct the flavors are intense.....and different degrees of smokiness too.. they do cure longer.. salted meats got many a mainers thru the winter in the past

Old 11-24-2018, 11:03 AM

4,694 posts, read 3,475,013 times
This summer while I was in West Virginia I ran across a country ham at the supermarket. I had never tried it so of course I bought it.
I did a ton of research to get it right. I figured we love both prosciutto and jamon. Lots of people out there compared it to them. NO! It was not even close. I am sorry to say we just did not like it. In my husband's words it tastes a lot like week old road kill!
If you like it, which I know tons of people do, more power to you. I love strong tasting food but (shudder) it is over the top!

Old 11-24-2018, 11:05 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,725 times
We used to live in the Pacific Northwest aka not the land of country ham. We have a lot of family that live in the South and at one of our family events located in our Northwest quadrant of the country, an uncle from Tennessee served up country ham he tucked into the trunk of his car as he drove across the country to see us. I had never had it and my siblings and I were so excited to try it, but wow, it was inedible.

We have since moved to the deep South and I have had it several times ranging from terrible to good. I like ham, but I am a little bit wary of country ham when I see it.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:41 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I don’t even really like prosciutto very much, or some hard salamis. They taste spoiled to me.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:45 PM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
I like prosciutto but to me country ham is WAY too salty. And I like salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink