Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 01:32 PM

47 posts, read 120,925 times

Advertisements

[quote=bad apples;34946043]Mexican food is awesome. My neighbors are Mexicans and the smell coming from their house at dinner time makes me jealous when I am eating my t.v. dinner. They bring me food occasionally and it's awesome. The BBQ that the man of the house fixed one time in this big metal pot with a fire under rivals any pork BBQ I have ever tasted in the U.S. I can't get enough Mexican food, need to find me a muchacha that can cook traditional Mexican.[/QUOTE

I went to Oaxaca Mexico last year during their Guelaguetza festival and it was the best Mexican food I have ever had and Oaxaca is known as having the best food in all of Mexico. I also saw many Americans marrying beautiful Oaxacans with big wedding celebrations in the streets. So if you want a a beautiful muchacha that can cook I suggest a girl from Oaxaca. Here is a link regarding Oaxaca.

Day of the Dead 2011 Oaxaca Mexico Guelaguetza 2011 Oaxaca Mexico

Last edited by SuckaFree123456; 05-25-2014 at 02:09 PM..

Old 05-25-2014, 01:39 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Americans like bad Tex-Mex.

There is certainly good Tex-Mex, but it is not only rare, but hardly even the tip of the iceberg as far as the depth and breadth of Mexican cuisine as it exists from tropical Central America to the American Southwest.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:59 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Americans like bad Tex-Mex.

There is certainly good Tex-Mex, but it is not only rare, but hardly even the tip of the iceberg as far as the depth and breadth of Mexican cuisine as it exists from tropical Central America to the American Southwest.
I agree. I don't know that I've had good Tex Mex. But I'm a snob. My Mexican food has to come from a mom and pop shack with Abuelita making tortillas by hand in the back.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:38 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Mexican food and culture is already integrated into American culture, and has been for quite some time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
You probably don't like Mexican food because you've had New Jersey "Mexican" food. I don't like that stuff either.
I agree with both of these. When my parents (in NJ) visit Oregon, they have to have some Mexican food here, just as I have to have pizza when I go there.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:40 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,776 times
"Real" Mexican food is not just one thing. There are so many regional differences. But I agree that a lot of so-called "Mexican" food in the USA isn't really Mexican.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:29 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
[quote=SuckaFree123456;34951233]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
Mexican food is awesome. My neighbors are Mexicans and the smell coming from their house at dinner time makes me jealous when I am eating my t.v. dinner. They bring me food occasionally and it's awesome. The BBQ that the man of the house fixed one time in this big metal pot with a fire under rivals any pork BBQ I have ever tasted in the U.S. I can't get enough Mexican food, need to find me a muchacha that can cook traditional Mexican.[/QUOTE

I went to Oaxaca Mexico last year during their Guelaguetza festival and it was the best Mexican food I have ever had and Oaxaca is known as having the best food in all of Mexico. I also saw many Americans marrying beautiful Oaxacans with big wedding celebrations in the streets. So if you want a a beautiful muchacha that can cook I suggest a girl from Oaxaca. Here is a link regarding Oaxaca.

I'd agree that Oaxacan cuisine is probably the most diverse and interesting in all of Mexico.

Yet 95% or more of "Mexican" restaurants in the US/Canada primarily serve items eaten in the US border States (Sonora, Chihuahua, Sinaloa, Baja, Durango, Coahuila, Nuevo Leon).

Oaxaca is the epicenter for the seven traditional moles. Yeah, you'll find a token "mole" on many menus in the US (usually a poor mole poblano), but not much else from this amazingly vibrant state .

Old 05-25-2014, 07:49 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Let's keep this thread on topic.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:19 AM

854 posts, read 1,140,885 times
[quote=SuckaFree123456;34951233]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
Mexican food is awesome. My neighbors are Mexicans and the smell coming from their house at dinner time makes me jealous when I am eating my t.v. dinner. They bring me food occasionally and it's awesome. The BBQ that the man of the house fixed one time in this big metal pot with a fire under rivals any pork BBQ I have ever tasted in the U.S. I can't get enough Mexican food, need to find me a muchacha that can cook traditional Mexican.[/QUOTE

This may change my life.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:17 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
I like both tex-mex and traditional mexican food. To be honest, there are times that I crave the tex mex way more than the traditional mexican dishes.

However, I think too many people get way too worked up as to what is "authentic" mexican food and what isn't. Just enjoy food for what it is, something that is enjoyable to eat and will make you full. After dating a Mexican girl and seeing the traditional dishes, it makes me appreciate both tex-mex and the more traditional food... but I'm not going to be that guy at the restaurant pointing at every dish and saying "ohhh that's not actually mexican food".

One thing that is a bit funny is to hear people from outside of the US mispronounce the typical Spanish words that we know. Watch an Indian, British or Australian say Quesadilla or Tortilla.. bet they don't say it right I think the United States is more integrated with Mexico than most people think.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:00 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
One of the things I miss the most about living in San Diego is the Mexican food. San Diego has the best taco shops.

I remember parking at the boarder and going over just to eat Tacos from the street vendors, Fich Tacos at the fish market in Ensenada, Shrimps and Lobster in Rosarito....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink