Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 03:43 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Just dig a path and brush off the snow.
Bingo.

I've BBQ in below freezing temps in the back country of Colorado 30 miles from the nearest civiliaztion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 05:34 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,547,050 times
Keep the grill in the garage . Open the garage door when you want to grill, any time of year. That's my way.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:17 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
I enjoyed a steak today on that same grill of mine. (Also I've since learned that it's a Smoke Hollow in terms of brand--again, the model is Sportable 28159K. My wife says she paid about $75 or so for it, it was marked $120 but they had it at Walmart on clearance, and that was a good price, it seems to go for $150 or so otherwise.)

Anyway--if charcoal tastes better than this thing, or if wood chips would jack up the flavor more still, then man it must be something, because even just as it is man that was some meal we enjoyed today. It was a cheap steak, like chuck or something (it was like $7 for enough steak for my wife & I, vs the $15 ones I saw beside it in the store), but I grilled it and had Country Bob's steak sauce with it, and added baked beans (with barbecue sauce and brown sugar), a salad, Mexican rice, and mustard-based potato salad.

You want to talk about a meal, man, I felt like we were spoiling ourselves in a manner like that you do when you go out to eat at a steakhouse or something.

One side point--this grill by default uses the Coleman "tube" propane tanks, vs the 20 lbs tanks of a full-sized one. I don't mind that, except that as of late for some reason the tanks don't seem to stay mounted without help. I often-times have to add electrical tape to the nozzle in a manner similar to how people add that white tape to pipes during plumbing jobs to make the seal tighter. It didn't do that before, but it has lately. If I recall correctly the Coleman-brand ones have a hard time while these other ones I got from Atwood's that are a different brand worked better, but I could be wrong.

I am wondering if I should go to our propane gas place and have them add the hose for utilizing the 20-lb tanks, simply so the fitting will be better. It would look like this (it's hard to see since the picture is so "busy," it's the best I could find--that's exactly the kind of grill I have):

The only thing is (a) that would take away any portability aspects (although I don't take this grill with us a lot particularly) and (b) it would, I'd imagine, take longer to light since you'd now have long hosing that would you'd have to "prime" first (meaning wait for the gas to work its way from the tank, through that long hose, then finally arrive at the grill itself). I like how the current arrangement makes it very portable and how it lights quickly since there's no long hosing to "prime" first, but the low quality of the fitting makes it frustrating when you change tanks and have to get it to "take."

Last edited by shyguylh; 06-28-2014 at 07:29 PM..

Old 06-28-2014, 07:42 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
Welcome to the dark side! We have Moink.

You can buy adaptor hoses for the big tanks on Amazon. Coleman or Weber makes 'em.

Good luck!

Old 06-28-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Welcome to the dark side! We have Moink.

You can buy adaptor hoses for the big tanks on Amazon. Coleman or Weber makes 'em.

Good luck!
Would this work? (Coleman 2000005062 5-Ft. High-Pressure Hose & Adapter)

Amazon.com: Coleman High-Pressure Propane Hose and Adapter: Sports & Outdoors

(Or this)

http://www.campersland.com/col5470a7...FZJbfgodIHIAzg

LRH

Old 06-29-2014, 09:17 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

The adaptor hose on Amazon is the exact one we bought for our mini-Weber grill. It seems to work fine.

And congrats on a good first cook!

Old 06-29-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
The adaptor hose on Amazon is the exact one we bought for our mini-Weber grill. It seems to work fine.

And congrats on a good first cook!
Well it wasn't a first cook per se, in fact I've had that grill for almost 2 years now, although I didn't really start using it in earnest until around May of last year when I finally got around to assembling it. I've been on something of a tear with it lately, though, for whatever reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink