Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 06:40 AM

394 posts, read 2,002,851 times

Advertisements

We love filet mignon. We slice them about 1 1/2" thick, and wrap each one in bacon, securing the bacon with toothpicks. Then grill them. You can season them salt/pepper, olive oil or butter before grilling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 08:41 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,065,276 times
We usually eat T-bones if we're grilling at home, always look for a big tender side(the small side is the tender). If we're eating out I prefer a filet, very tender no fat or gristle, and they're generally cut nice and thick. Ribeyes are also a good choice if you have a good butcher. I buy all of our steaks at my hometown meatblock in Nebraska, when we're back visiting we load up. It's corn fed beef that he hangs for 30-40 days, it makes all the difference in the flavor of the meat. People who marinade steaks do so because they've never had a good cut of meat.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:44 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,065,276 times
Quote:
We love filet mignon. We slice them about 1 1/2" thick, and wrap each one in bacon, securing the bacon with toothpicks. Then grill them. You can season them salt/pepper, olive oil or butter before grilling.
It's all a matter of opinion but personally I can't stand this done to my filet. Nicer restaurants do not wrap filet's in bacon.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
We usually eat T-bones if we're grilling at home, always look for a big tender side(the small side is the tender). If we're eating out I prefer a filet, very tender no fat or gristle, and they're generally cut nice and thick. Ribeyes are also a good choice if you have a good butcher. I buy all of our steaks at my hometown meatblock in Nebraska, when we're back visiting we load up. It's corn fed beef that he hangs for 30-40 days, it makes all the difference in the flavor of the meat. People who marinade steaks do so because they've never had a good cut of meat.
Thank you that is what I am looking for experience from those who eat steak for what it is.
Yet I am getting posts of what to cover it with and what to have on sides??
I want user experience with different quality of steaks and why each one is different

Old 12-18-2007, 01:09 PM

394 posts, read 2,002,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
It's all a matter of opinion but personally I can't stand this done to my filet. Nicer restaurants do not wrap filet's in bacon.
Well, the OP did say he/she was going to grill it themselves. I just gave my opinion on how we like it. I never said how "nicer restaurants" cooked it. We personally don't eat in cheap steakhouses, just FTR. Come to think of it, I doubt a cheap restaurant could even afford to serve filet mignon.

Bacon or no bacon, I still think filet mignon is the best cut of steak.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:26 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,015 times
My favorite is a lean, cut Sirloin...Yummmy!!!

When it looks like there's more meat, than the white stuff (that's the fat), then I choose it.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:30 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post
My favorite is a lean, cut Sirloin...Yummmy!!!

When it looks like there's more meat, than the white stuff (that's the fat), then I choose it.
Hey: if any of you are in Prescott Valley, Arizona stop over at Poor Red's Steakhouse. That's the best steakhouse here, in this part of Az. I went last week (it was my first time) and I had the best lean, cut Sirloin in my entire life!! I can't wait to go again, sometime. They have the best steaks and food, that I've ever had...Try it, if you ever come down here...

Phone number: 928-759-3512 (they don't have their address listed, sorry).

Old 12-18-2007, 07:16 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Default tell me what you want to do with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Thank you that is what I am looking for experience from those who eat steak for what it is.
Yet I am getting posts of what to cover it with and what to have on sides??
I want user experience with different quality of steaks and why each one is different
Sunny, I have been experimenting w/ various cuts of meat for a long time. I am glad to share, but must ask - what would you like to do with your steak? Do you want to know about the different cuts so you will know what to order when at a restaurant? Or when you are checking out the meat section at the grocery store?

Cause I got the feeling you may be thinking . . . various ways of fixing steak . . . such as grilling . . . or broiling . . . or using in various dishes (beef burgundy), etc.

I will be glad to give you more info once i know what you really want to do w/ that steak (other than enjoy it!)

For ex., if you are wanting to do steaks for a crowd on a budget, I would suggest buying a shoulder roast and having the butcher cut into thick slices . . . then letting it rest for a while in a nice marinade . . . I will be glad to share some of my favorite marinades . . .

Or if you want to know what to fix yourself and your sweetie on the grill . . . I would suggest a nice ribeye or T-bone . . . and no matter what anyone tells you . . . I don't flip that steak but ONCE.

So if I know what really is "at steak here" - I will be glad to tell you my experiences, for whatever they are worth!

Old 12-19-2007, 12:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Sunny, I have been experimenting w/ various cuts of meat for a long time. I am glad to share, but must ask - what would you like to do with your steak? Do you want to know about the different cuts so you will know what to order when at a restaurant? Or when you are checking out the meat section at the grocery store?

Cause I got the feeling you may be thinking . . . various ways of fixing steak . . . such as grilling . . . or broiling . . . or using in various dishes (beef burgundy), etc.

I will be glad to give you more info once i know what you really want to do w/ that steak (other than enjoy it!)

For ex., if you are wanting to do steaks for a crowd on a budget, I would suggest buying a shoulder roast and having the butcher cut into thick slices . . . then letting it rest for a while in a nice marinade . . . I will be glad to share some of my favorite marinades . . .

Or if you want to know what to fix yourself and your sweetie on the grill . . . I would suggest a nice ribeye or T-bone . . . and no matter what anyone tells you . . . I don't flip that steak but ONCE.

So if I know what really is "at steak here" - I will be glad to tell you my experiences, for whatever they are worth!
Thank you for those who suggested to go with a butcher or ask a butcher when buying a steak.
Thank you ontheroad for that website but it was mainly a search engine offering recipes least part I kept crossing.

Thanks anifani821 basically I want to know the different grades.
either for restaurant consumption or grocery buying.
Base on what you posted rib eye or tbone is top of the line?
I would like a steak that is just a juicy steak that I do not have to cut around bunch of fat or bone to enjoy it.
I dont care for steaks that are too chewy or bristle.
When shopping for steak what are things to look for and try to avoid.

Thanks

Old 12-19-2007, 12:30 PM

18,008 posts, read 27,450,890 times
I recently went to the butcher shop here in Pueblo and asked for a good Sirloin cut about 1 and a half inch thick.

Sirloin can be as tender as filet and has plenty of flavor. It may not be as popular as a T-bone or Porterhouse, but hey! For the price, it's great. I also wouldn't turn down a good New York Strip or a Ribeye. If you get the Porterhouse, you get the NY Strip and some filet.

I grilled this Sirloin about 7 minutes a side and it was 32 ounces pre-cooked;

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink