Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 09:04 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,105,370 times

Advertisements

I am by no means a BBQ gourmet or experienced griller. But my husband is under doctor's orders to eat more meat - that means meat or eggs at every meal and snack. He has a very small appetite, so it is hard to get it down him. So even though I'm not a meat lover (though not a vegetarian, either) I have to change my ways and cook lots of protein. So one thing I am thinking about is buying some kind of grill. We have a small deck, and there are only two of us, so I am thinking small. I also need something easy. I noticed the Char-Broil Patio Bistro grill. I am concerned about carrying the full sized, full propane tank on this, but I suppose I could buy a smaller capacity tank. Does anyone have recommendations or thoughts on small scale, amature, easy grilling. (I know Texans can be fanatical about the perfect grill, making the perfect brisket, but I am not aiming that high.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 09:22 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,281,219 times
We have a Weber Q series portable propane grill for tailgating. It uses the small propane torch gas cylinders, and not the bigger tanks. It does a fantastic job - heats quickly and sears the meat nicely.

Have no experience with the Char Broil. The Q series are also available in electric if that's the way you want to go.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:27 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
I've had poor experiences with Char-broil grills. The parts seem to wear out fast, and replacing a few parts is almost as expensive as a new grill (granted the grills are cheap in the first place). I'll be getting a Weber next.

Also, if you have a gas range top and don't already have something like one of these, they are great and very easy to use --
Denmark Tools for Cooks® Cast Aluminum Double Burner Reversible Grill and Griddle - BedBathandBeyond.com

Old 07-02-2014, 07:00 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,021,921 times
Buy a Weber and it'll last forever. I've got two Weber kettles that are 10+ years old and they are as good as new!

Old 07-02-2014, 08:00 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,955,202 times
Like everyone says. Weber makes the best grills. You can buy cheaper, but the quality just isn't there. Weber Grills - By Grillers For Grillers | Weber.com From the heavy gauge metal used in making them, to the excellent customer support, you won't go wrong.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:40 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,482,440 times
Gas grills are very convenient but have a problem with flare-ups. So any meats that have a high fat content (like chicken with the skin on) will cause flare-ups. You can get around that by placing the meat on one side of the grill and using the burners on the other side (In-direct heat). You do have to go out and refill the gas canisters every now and then and nowadays they have the recycle thing where you give them your empty tank and you get back a full one for around $20.

A charcoal grill you have to buy charcoal which can get expensive. Lighting it is made easier with a chimney. The taste is better with charcoal as well.

Both types of grills wear out with extensive use and you have to repair or replace them after a few years. Weber charcoal grills last longer without repairs. They do sell a mini-weber called the Smokey Joe for only $30. Here is more info

Smokey Joe® Silver | Weber.com

Here's some info on the chimney which makes it much easier to light your fires. (About $15)
Grill Skills - Using a Chimney Starter | Weber.com

Hope this helps.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:40 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,775,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post

Here's some info on the chimney which makes it much easier to light your fires. (About $15)
Grill Skills - Using a Chimney Starter | Weber.com

Hope this helps.
Have you used this device? It doesn't mentioned using lighter fluid, but I find it hard to imagine the charcoal taking off from just a start-up fire from a few crumpled newspapers. I'm curious about this now.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:08 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,883,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Have you used this device? It doesn't mentioned using lighter fluid, but I find it hard to imagine the charcoal taking off from just a start-up fire from a few crumpled newspapers. I'm curious about this now.
I only use a chimney to light my charcoal. Don't use lighter fluid with a chimney. I crumple paper and put it under the chimney and light it - sometimes it takes 2-3 tries to get the charcoal going. Sometimes I put a firestarter chunk under the chimney - that always works. The chimney is much cleaner and there isn't any chance of getting that lighter fluid taste in your food.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:14 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,166,697 times
You do not need a fancy grill at all. The beauty is in how you season your food. You could get a $20 grill from Walmart and be just fine. The most that I have ever paid for a grill is just under $200 and it was a propane. And don't sleep on your crockpot for cooking meats, either.

Also, you should look into non-meat sources of protein like beans and yogurt. Good luck.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:26 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,277,314 times
Have you considered something like a George Foreman indoor grill? Grill aficionados may balk, but I love mine. I definitely recommend a version with removable plates for ease of cleanup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink