Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 02:20 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,803,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot pocket View Post
After you're done cooking, whether you clean it or not, heat it up a bit on the burner, and either wipe out most of the oil if you didn't clean it, or add a small amount if you did clean it. Which ever you do, the goal is to have a small (very) amount of fat left in the skillet as it cools. That fat, when heated next time you use it, will start to break down-basically burn. That's what the smooth carbon stuff in your picture is...carbonized fat, and its a good thing.
Ok I think I got it.
It's ok to leave a small, very thin amount in the pan. But if I leave too much it will get sticky which is bad.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 02:24 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
With the Lodge Logic pre-seasoned stuff, you don't go through the seasoning procedure before use. That will destroy the seasoning on it. Just grease it and use it. Clean it (no soap) and rinse in the hottest tap water you can bear, wipe it dry, and grease it while still hot from the water. That's it and it's been working fine for me. Most of my cast iron is antique though and has about 90+ years worth of seasoning on it. If it seems "yucky" from rancid grease or something, I just add a bit of baking soda and hot water and gently wash it, being careful not to take much of the seasoning off, just enough to clean off the bad most recent grease. then rinse and grease. I've used everything from vegetable oil to lard to Crisco for greasing cast iron, all of it works.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:03 PM

692 posts, read 1,706,940 times
Mom has 3 50+ year old cast iron pans. After cooking a mess of fish they go in the dish washer and than stored downstairs until next fish fry. Never have anything stick. Guess they are seasoned very well.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:05 AM

So while i'm working on this lodge griddle, I was perusing ebay and wondering if something like this is typical for condition/price and if something like this would be worth picking up, or is something better I should be looking for?
Vintage Griswold 10 Cast Iron Skillet Frying Pan w Small Logo 716 A | eBay
I have no idea what to expect with the old stuff.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:00 AM

41 posts, read 60,911 times
That's actually a pretty good price. I have a few of those old Griswolds, and a couple Wagners as well. You will be able to tell a big difference between those and the new Lodge stuff.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:10 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Ok I think I got it.
It's ok to leave a small, very thin amount in the pan. But if I leave too much it will get sticky which is bad.

Thanks!
It should be more like what someone else said....after you've put some on (or with whatever is left after you've cooked), wipe it until it seems you've almost wiped it all off. Many thin coats are what eventually seasons it, not a few thick coats.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot pocket View Post
That's actually a pretty good price. I have a few of those old Griswolds, and a couple Wagners as well. You will be able to tell a big difference between those and the new Lodge stuff.
And the condition looks ok?
When looking at these things I see remarks about pitting and such but not sure how much that really matters.
I figure as long as it sits flat and it's pretty clean I should be ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
It should be more like what someone else said....after you've put some on (or with whatever is left after you've cooked), wipe it until it seems you've almost wiped it all off. Many thin coats are what eventually seasons it, not a few thick coats.
Yep, that's basically what I'm doing. Wiping off as much as I can but leaving it shiny.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:41 AM

41 posts, read 60,911 times
Once its well seasoned, those small pits/nicks would be filled in with seasoning...as long as those are pictures of the actual item for sale, it look to be in good shape, and not a bad price. The seller knows what they have, so you're not getting quite a yard sale steal, but its not extortion, lol.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:11 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
I've seen some cast iron frying pans at flea markets and second-hand stores for a pittance. Most look to be in fairly good condition.
Probably a lot cheaper than ebay.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:03 AM

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!

I cooked three PERFECT fried eggs this morning!
I had trouble getting the spatula under them to flip because they were sliding across the pan, and then when they were done they slid right off into the plate!

Thanks for all the advice!

And since this was the flat griddle, I went ahead and bought that #10 griswold off ebay for the $40 asking price. I figured that wasn't all that bad and now I can see what this old stuff is all about.

I do have one more question though... what to you guys use on the handles so you don't burn yourself?
When I bought the Lodge from amazon, i got it bundled with a red rubber handle cover.
But that thing gets nearly as hot as the pan! Unusable.
I have an older handle cover that is kind of like a thin oven mitt that works better. At least i can lift the pan and hold it for a minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink