Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 02:20 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times

Advertisements

Well,

I'm interested in making chocolate sort of from scratch, but I haven't found food grade cocoa butter in my local grocery store. Now, I could order it online, but I was wondering if there were something I might be able to substitute for the cocoa butter to yield the same results. Also, what kind of cocoa powder should I use? Do you know of any tasty recipes? This is fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 08:47 AM

I've heard you can use coconut oil? Is that correct? Has anyone ever made chocolate? How did it turn out?

Old 08-05-2014, 09:02 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Not a good idea when you can buy the huge bulk chocolate that *Professional* chocolate makers use.
I prefer the Belgian Chocolate which I get from
http://www.santabarbarachocolate.com/pure-cacao/

The best way is to buy the right stuff, and then let your creativity go wild !

All this assuming that you do want to end up with some *home made* chocolate treats !

Still interested in doing your own?
You need:
RAW cacao powder (so NOT from roasted beans !!)
cacao butter (If you use an alternative, often your choco will taste like soap !)
Virgin Coconut oil
Coconut syrup, or you can use Agave sweetener or even honey
maca (a personal choice - you can make yup your own mind about *jazzing* it up)

Google around for recipes, but they are usually all the same.

Last edited by irman; 08-05-2014 at 09:38 AM..

Old 08-05-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Not a good idea when you can buy the huge bulk chocolate that *Professional* chocolate makers use.
If you *think* you can make better chocolate products than the Pros, then well go ahead and do it.

The best way is to buy the right stuff, and then let your creativity go wild !
Really, I'm just in the mood to experiment. I want to get chocolatier or pastry training eventually, but this is just for fun. I want to find a relatively cost effective means of making melting chocolate for projects. Later, though, I may be able to alter the recipe so that friends with allergies or sugar problems can more easily enjoy chocolate, too. I agree that mixing the component ingredients of cocoa beans together and turning them into fine chocolate isn't easy, and what I make probably won't be nearly as good as the pros; in fact, I'm not one-hundred percent sure it will be eatable. I still want to try, though.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:32 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Really, I'm just in the mood to experiment. I still want to try, though.
By all means, do it !!

Fun to try, but if you like good stuff in the end, just buckle down and get some starter chocolate from a good source, and make the treats which then will always be good and tasty !

Most of all, let you imagination go wild, the wackier the more fun !

Show us some of your creations later , please ?

Old 08-06-2014, 08:50 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times
I have never tried this before.. please show us pictures after you have done it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink