Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 06:42 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,007,727 times

Advertisements

Hope this is the right forum.

Do people ask you food questions when you shop? This has happened to me several times.

For example, I was in the produce area once and a young man with a newborn in tow told me that his wife sent him shopping. On the list were "baking apples". He asked me what kind of apples he should get. I took the time to point them out.

Another time, a man asked me what type of cream he should buy for a recipe he was making. I explained the difference between heavy and light cream.

I have more stories that I can tell. Both men and women have approached me. Each time, I'm glad to take the time to help them.

When I tell others that this happens to me, they tell me that no one has ever asked them such questions.

Do any of you have similar stories to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 08:29 PM

12,045 posts, read 8,429,550 times
Yes, it happens now and then. One that comes to mind was when I was buying cucumbers at the Farmer's market and a woman of Asian appearance asked me if I made pickles from them. I said, "Yes" and she indicated that she would like to know the recipe. And this is where things went wrong for both of us.

I asked, "What kind of pickles would you like to make?" And she said, "Yes, pickles." Then I realized we had a language barrier problem. Finally we ended the conversation in flustered smiling. A lot of smiling.

I'm still wondering how I could have made a meeting for a pickle-making session possible.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:37 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,617 times
Yes, I also have folks from the Ukraine ask me questions, only I don't understand them but I must look the part. I have a pretty sweet translate app on my phone for these occasions.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Noe and then I am asked. More often I see short woman attempting and say let me get that for you.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:41 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
I have people ask me food questions in the grocery store. I don't think it's that uncommon.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:43 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Noe and then I am asked. More often I see short woman attempting and say let me get that for you.
Ha! I'm that short woman. I always say, "Excuse me? Can I borrow your height for a second?"

Old 12-18-2014, 09:47 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times
How normal ...interaction between people. I've been asked questions and I've asked questions. No big deal.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:52 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
It happens occasionally. I would be getting off work, stop in to a supermarket for a couple of items, and I would get the "do you work here?". Usually, I would respond, "If I worked here, wouldn't I be in the back with all of the other employees?" and generally COULD HELP THEM OUT.

It would happen more frequently in ethnic markets. People would ask me about the use of a particular meat product or vegetable. Sometimes I could help, sometimes, I was stumped.

==========================

One unrelated comment. Over the course of a year, I might step into 200 grocery stores in 20-25 states. One of the best independents is the Dorothy Lane Market which has three stores in Dayton, OH. What I most like about the place is that you will find the STORE MANAGER standing in the front of the store actively interacting with the customers and the employees. If you cannot find something, he will take you back and show you where it is at. If they don't have the item, he will make an effort to bring it in.

Do you think that he is worried about a Walmart opening down the street? I do not think so.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:54 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Hope this is the right forum.

Do people ask you food questions when you shop? This has happened to me several times.

For example, I was in the produce area once and a young man with a newborn in tow told me that his wife sent him shopping. On the list were "baking apples". He asked me what kind of apples he should get. I took the time to point them out.

Another time, a man asked me what type of cream he should buy for a recipe he was making. I explained the difference between heavy and light cream.

I have more stories that I can tell. Both men and women have approached me. Each time, I'm glad to take the time to help them.

When I tell others that this happens to me, they tell me that no one has ever asked them such questions.

Do any of you have similar stories to share?

I have food conversations often at the grocery and I have learned so much from others from those casual conversations. One can learn so much from others if they would just take the time to do so.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:42 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,956,563 times
Not usually but once, I was shopping in the produce section and a woman approached me with a container of mushrooms in her hand. She asked me what would be the best way to cook them. I told her I had no idea as I never buy them.

She looked at me strangely and said, "What do you mean, you never buy them?" I told her that I don't buy them because I don't care for them so I have no experience with cooking them. She shook the container under my nose and said, "Are you telling me you don't buy them?" I said, "That's exactly what I'm telling you."

She ranted on about never having heard of anyone who wouldn't admit to liking mushrooms. All of this was done in earshot of other shoppers who vacated the produce department pretty rapidly.

Since then, I try to get through the store without making eye contact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink