Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 11:32 PM

156 posts, read 137,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
After minimizing red meat in my diet for years, I succumbed to the temptation of a juicy hamburger with cheese recently and it was so good, but I have a question about how the meat is cooked. I have the hamburger medium, but the meat is charred around the edges and there are black grill marks on some areas, but I wonder if it is safe to eat. When I eat the hamburger I don't want to pick off all the black parts (that wouldn't leave much meat), except the really charred parts. It isn't really that awful tasting to eat some of the charred parts, but I think it's carcinogenic. Do any of you eat the black grill marks, too?
I only eat well done burgers with grill marks and all. Hot dogs, chicken.....anything grilled.

Steak is another matter......medium...medium/well for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 11:39 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
After minimizing red meat in my diet for years, I succumbed to the temptation of a juicy hamburger with cheese recently and it was so good, but I have a question about how the meat is cooked. I have the hamburger medium, but the meat is charred around the edges and there are black grill marks on some areas, but I wonder if it is safe to eat. When I eat the hamburger I don't want to pick off all the black parts (that wouldn't leave much meat), except the really charred parts. It isn't really that awful tasting to eat some of the charred parts, but I think it's carcinogenic. Do any of you eat the black grill marks, too?
yes, I eat the charred parts, for most of humanity -since we've been cooking (fire) meats, we've been eating charred meats

everything in moderation- if you are eating charred meats everyday, yes, maybe you are at risk

but once in a while,,,,you are fine

Old 09-19-2014, 07:05 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,974,007 times
I love this thread! Thank you guys I repd all of you

Old 09-19-2014, 08:04 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaniardinTexas View Post
I really doubt it.
Soup is cheap and it is a great money maker for any restaurant.
Not sure what you mean. One can only charge so much for a burger at a restaurant, and more expensive dishes will bring in more money. Are you talking about % profit margin, then i dont disagree with you but the same thing could be said for soda and alcohol. But unless you are running some pho, ramen noodle shop soup is an appetizer and wont be the money maker compared to main courses.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:09 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
If you wanted to go really crazy you could go 50/50 sirloin/chuck. That would be a world class burger. And don't smash them flat as they cook cause all the juice gets squeezed out. I like them on the grill better for that reason.
You can smash a burger right at the beginning when the fat is still solid, and you get an amazing crust. The technique has been used in countless restaurants, and my personal preference for a burger.

I agree with you that smashing after the patty has been cooking for a while is a big no-no.

I prefer bigger steakhouse burgers on the grill.

All this burger talk is making me hungry; perhaps someone should start a burger making thread in the recipe forum

Old 09-19-2014, 08:16 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
Quote:
Of course. Grill marks (or browning) on anything are an important part of the flavor. That's why there are so many foods that are seared instead of just boiled or steamed.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:22 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times
The area where I live has a lot of nice finer dining restaurants with happy hour menu (including Flemings). They do offer low cost quality burgers (called "sliders") but they are much smaller than average and no sides. So $6 or so is not really a meal.

There is a place we love, called Pier 22, waterfront casual fine dining that has an awesome burger - it is large, Angus beef pattie, served with house made wafer-thin potato chips and all the trimmings on a grilled artisan bun for around $10. It is a full meal and fantastic! Plus it is enjoyed in a gorgeous atmosphere.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:23 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak Night Eyes View Post
That' not even close to the whole menu at my drive-in.....but enough to give you a idea on prices.

BURGERS

Big Burger3.491/2LB ALL BEEF PATTY WITH MELTED CHEESE, LETTUCE AND MAYO Hamburger2.151/4LB ALL BEEF PATTY WITH CATSUP, MUSTARD AND PICKLE Bacon Burger3.151/4LB ALL BEEF PATTY WITH CATSUP, MUSTARD, PICKLE, BACON STRIPS AND MELTED CHEESE Cheeseburger2.491/4LB ALL BEEF PATTY WITH CATSUP, MUSTARD, PICKLE AND MELTED CHEESE Olive Burger2.691/4LB ALL BEEF PATTY WITH LETTUCE, MAYO AND GREEN OLIVES Mushroom Burger2.791/4LB ALL BEEF PATTY WITH SWISS CHEESE AND MUSHROOMS
MAKE IT A BASKET $2.65 EXTRAALL BASKETS INCLUDE SANDWICH, FRENCH FRIES AND COLD SLAW Chicken Strip Basket6.253 STRIPS, FRENCH FRIES AND COLE SLAW Shrimp Basket6.251/2LB SHRIMP, FRENCH FRIES AND COLD SLAW Kid's Fun Box3.39 - HOT DOG - CHILI DOG - CORN DOG - HAMBURGER - GRILLED CHEESE - CHICKEN STRIPSINCLUDES CHOICE OF ABOVE, FRENCH FRIES OR FRUIT CUP AND TOY Extra Beef Patty0.99 Extra Cheese0.30 Extra Tomato0.30 SANDWICHES

Pork Tenderloin3.491/4LB BREADED AND DEEP FRIED PORK TENDERLOIN WITH LETTUCE AND MAYO Pizza Burger Supreme3.49ONE LARGE SPICE BEEF PATTY WITH EXTRA MOZZARELLA CHEESE, BACON STRIPS AND SPICY SAUCE Pizza Burger2.99ONE LARGE SPICY BEEF PATTY WITH MELTED MOZZARELLA CHEESE INSIDE Breaded Chicken Fillet3.49ONE LARGE ALL WHITE CHICKEN FILLET, DEEP FRIED WITH LETTUCE AND MAYO Spicy Chicken Fillet3.491/4LB BREADED CHICKEN FILLET WITH LETTUCE AN MAYO Grilled Chicken Breast3.49ONE SKINLESS CHICKEN BREAST, GRILLED WITH LETTUCE AND MAYO BBQ Chicken Breast3.59GRILLED CHICKEN BREAST WITH SWEET BABY RAY SAUCE Grilled Cheese1.99 Ham Sandwich2.49LETTUCE AND MAYO Ham 'N' Cheese2.79 Bar-B-Q Beef2.49 Fish Fillet2.79FISH FILLET AND TARTAR SAUCE
There are a few drive-ins near by. The burgers are about $5 at each. Chicken sandwiches are about $6-7. They typically have lower quality meat. We do have a fast food like burger place with nice ingredients that costs $5 as well. That feels like a pretty good deal. It is packed. And they use Niman Ranch or similar.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:27 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
The charr is the best part. There might be some truth to this cancer thing. But I am skeptical. The 1 burger I have a month isn't going to kill me. Maybe I'd be more concerned if you ate them daily.

But of all the things to worry about I'd call that low priority. Eat more veggies to make up for it.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:21 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
I recently had an amazing hamburger at a fine restaurant for only $6 (at the bar). The name of the restaurant? Flemings Steakhouse.

The next day, I had a burger at Red Robin and paid about $10! It was cheaper and much better at Flemings.

I want to try out more burgers at fine restaurants.

I think Ruth Chris has something similar at the bar for about $6-7.

Does anyone know of any other fine dining franchises that offer great burgers at similar prices?

Well, it's not a secret any more!

I have thought about this but not tried it recently. Thanks for the reminder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink