Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 08:35 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

I have some granny forks which actually belonged to my granny. They have wooden handles

Several sets of measuring cups- some for wet (more than the measurement so you don't spill while moving around) and for dry which have the exact measurement at the top so you can use a knife to level excess off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 08:47 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,449,830 times
A good knife and a cutting board. Take these two away from my kitchen and I'm lost.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:14 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
I have almost everything mentioned, but I need to add:

wire cheese cutter
cheese plane
whisks of different sizes
silicone spatulas
different sizes of ladles
spaetzle maker
vegetable peeler
pasta maker
olive/cherry pitter
tomato huller
strawberry huller
whistling kettle
vacuum coffee pot (my parents received it as a wedding present ninety years ago)
ice crusher
spice mills, especially pepper
all kinds of odd spoons (Julia Child said that we can never have too many)
fish poacher
corn on the cob handles
inside herb garden
egg pricker/slicer
egg topper
egg cups
soft boiled egg spoons
caviar spoons
egg coddlers
ramekins
snail tongs
butter keeper
oyster knife
enameled cast iron of several sizes and shapes
12 quart sauce pot (how could I have almost forgotten that one? )
8 and 24 quart pots
pressure cookers
double boiler and steamer inserts as well as at least two other double boilers
stovetop popcorn popper (basket)
electric popper for roasting coffee
coffee grinder
shallow pyrex baking dishes
mortar and pestle
pastry blender
pastry cutter
rolling pin (my late wife used to chase me with it )
electric waffle iron
stovetop wafffle iron
regular blender
immersion blender
hand onion chopper (chops them just right with no tears)
nut cracker
crocks for pickling
juicers of different sizes and styles

There are many more, especially baking pans and dishes. Different items range from convenient to critical. I may not use some for a year or two at a time, but I'm glad I have them all.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:28 AM

19,427 posts, read 15,240,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I have some granny forks which actually belonged to my granny. They have wooden handles
Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Several sets of measuring cups- some for wet (more than the measurement so you don't spill while moving around) and for dry which have the exact measurement at the top so you can use a knife to level excess off
This is what I hate about watching cooking shows. They say something like "a heaping tablespoon," "a generous cupful..." What's the point of measuring things if you're just going to overfill the measuring instrument? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I have almost everything mentioned, but I need to add:

wire cheese cutter
cheese plane
whisks of different sizes
silicone spatulas
different sizes of ladles
spaetzle maker
vegetable peeler
pasta maker
olive/cherry pitter
tomato huller
strawberry huller
whistling kettle
vacuum coffee pot (my parents received it as a wedding present ninety years ago)
ice crusher
spice mills, especially pepper
all kinds of odd spoons (Julia Child said that we can never have too many)
fish poacher
corn on the cob handles
inside herb garden
egg pricker/slicer
egg topper
egg cups
soft boiled egg spoons
caviar spoons
egg coddlers
ramekins
snail tongs
butter keeper
oyster knife
enameled cast iron of several sizes and shapes
12 quart sauce pot (how could I have almost forgotten that one? )
8 and 24 quart pots
pressure cookers
double boiler and steamer inserts as well as at least two other double boilers
stovetop popcorn popper (basket)
electric popper for roasting coffee
coffee grinder
shallow pyrex baking dishes
mortar and pestle
pastry blender
pastry cutter
rolling pin (my late wife used to chase me with it )
electric waffle iron
stovetop wafffle iron
regular blender
immersion blender
hand onion chopper (chops them just right with no tears)
nut cracker
crocks for pickling
juicers of different sizes and styles

There are many more, especially baking pans and dishes. Different items range from convenient to critical. I may not use some for a year or two at a time, but I'm glad I have them all.
Wow!...

Wow.

There are many more??!!

And...."snail tongs"?

I must say, I'm nothing if not impressed. I like to keep it as basic as I possibly can, but I'm still impressed, lol.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The crock pot is essential. I'm using mine right now to cook a pot roast. I use it all winter long but it gets put away in the summer.

Also, a cast iron frying pan, a few sauce pans, pyrex mixing bowls, egg beater, grater, big spoon and fork for cooking, good old spatula, carrot peeler, paring knife, serrated knife, measuring cups and spoons, vintage glass citrus zester, cutting boards that can be sterilized, potato masher.

For measuring spoons I started out with stupid plastic ones a long time ago and after melting a few of them, I have always had only stainless.
I wonder how people live without a grater? That might be the number one tool I need, plus,yes the skillets and big spoon for starters. Plus of course, decent quality knives. That was one thing my dad insisted on, quality knives.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:06 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Lol.

This is what I hate about watching cooking shows. They say something like "a heaping tablespoon," "a generous cupful..." What's the point of measuring things if you're just going to overfill the measuring instrument? lol

Wow!...

Wow.

There are many more??!!

And...."snail tongs"?

I must say, I'm nothing if not impressed. I like to keep it as basic as I possibly can, but I'm still impressed, lol.
There are a lot more things that you can have in the kitchen. I used to have escargot tongs, sugar cube tongs, asparagus tongs, individual butter warmers, lidded jelly server with spoon, toast rack, salt cellars, on and on and on. I still have things which I no longer use like the dessert service--forks, spoons, pie and cake server-- with porcelain handles.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:50 PM

336 posts, read 575,247 times
Food processor, microplane grater, stick blender, aebelskiver pan.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:37 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCB View Post
Food processor, microplane grater, stick blender, aebelskiver pan.
Yes, indeed. Aebelskiver is great and easy to prepare. It means apple slices in Danish. Needless to say, Amazon carries the pans.

Scandinavian Jul is great with potato sausage, Glogg, and Aebelskiver. These are as traditional in the North as oyster stew on Christmas Eve in America.

Remember, the more and better you eat and drink at midwinter, the more and better you'l eat in the following year.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:20 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Yes, indeed. Aebelskiver is great and easy to prepare. It means apple slices in Danish. Needless to say, Amazon carries the pans.
Aebelskiver pans also work great for making Takoyaki, or any batter you want to make into a ball shape. I've used my grandmother's Yorkshire Pudding recipe in an aebelskiver pan and it turns out great.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:40 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
There are a lot more things that you can have in the kitchen. I used to have escargot tongs, sugar cube tongs, asparagus tongs, individual butter warmers, lidded jelly server with spoon, toast rack, salt cellars, on and on and on. I still have things which I no longer use like the dessert service--forks, spoons, pie and cake server-- with porcelain handles.
Oh, thanks for reminding me.

I have so much kitchenware but there are only certain items that are truly essential.

If I open my hutch there are all those tongs and little salt pats and the corn on the cob holders, the silver butter dish, all of which would come tumbling out if I ever opened the doors. I also have a drawer full of vintage kitchenware that came from my mother and I hang onto it for sentimental sake. Oh, just remembered, I also have vintage kitchenware on display. Three shelves of it. But none of it is essential. I just can't get rid of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink