Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 07:30 AM

946 posts, read 1,136,872 times

Advertisements

So how do I make those tasty coffee drinks like Mocha, Latte's ect. ? Sorry I'm a coffee noob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 07:44 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,380,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This is exactly why I prefer pourovers, french presses and the like.

I can no longer tolerate automatic drip, because it simply doesn't brew hot enough coffee, and the flavor suffers. Just a flat, bland cup.

I agree completely! I cannot stand lukewarm coffee. I use a double walled glass french press and have moderately good luck (William Sonoma). I like a rich dark coffee but NOT bitter. So far the best I have found is World Market Italian Roast. Still open to any other suggestions but I have tried loads of coffee beans and this is my favorite.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:57 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,640,301 times
Press pots are inexpensive and make a good cup of coffee. We used them for about a decade before we got into it more and bought a pressure brewing machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfertx View Post
So how do I make those tasty coffee drinks like Mocha, Latte's ect. ? Sorry I'm a coffee noob
Lattes, cappuccinos, etc. require a steam source, which means a coffee maker with a boiler. These are generically referred to as espresso machines. Probably the most popular and best value among coffee geeks is the Rancilio Silva. It is for home use but approaches commercial quality. Some of the more well known big name companies make things that can work also, depends on the quality you want.

Last edited by LesLucid; 03-21-2018 at 08:07 AM..

Old 03-21-2018, 07:59 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
I agree completely! I cannot stand lukewarm coffee. I use a double walled glass french press and have moderately good luck (William Sonoma). I like a rich dark coffee but NOT bitter. So far the best I have found is World Market Italian Roast. Still open to any other suggestions but I have tried loads of coffee beans and this is my favorite.
Try some the Indonesian coffee beans, such as Sumatra or Moka Java or Hawaiian Kona. They tend to be less acidic, so less bitter after brewing

Old 03-21-2018, 08:03 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
I gave up on coffee machines as they all seem to be very poor quality anymore. I had a Krups made in France, but that is no longer the case. After my last two coffee machines that broke down, I ended up going to a German made stainless french press and love it.

If I had to have a machine, I would look for one made in the US or somewhere in Europe and avoid Chinese made machines. I just have had horrible luck with them.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:17 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,640,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I gave up on coffee machines as they all seem to be very poor quality anymore. I had a Krups made in France, but that is no longer the case. After my last two coffee machines that broke down, I ended up going to a German made stainless french press and love it.

If I had to have a machine, I would look for one made in the US or somewhere in Europe and avoid Chinese made machines. I just have had horrible luck with them.
Good machines aren’t cheap and do require some maintenance. We have had this machine over 10 years (an earlier model of it) and, brewing a minimum of 4cups/day, that comes out to close to 15,000 cups brewed. The only thing we have had to do to it during that time is change the gasket on the brew group.

https://www.chriscoffee.com/Alex-Due...zo-p/mk605.htm

Also, I recommend the linked company for their service, at least from my experience.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:59 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
4 key elements:
Freshness of the roast.
Temperature of the water.
Seep time.
Serve time.

Beyond that most get hooked on the bells and whistles. Having coffee stay on a warming pad carafe does nothing for it's quality of serve time.

A simple carafe ,funnel , roasted bean,hot temp water will do.no electric. Required really.. unless blending roast .....

Old 03-21-2018, 09:19 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
It's not the machine, it's the coffee. We use a Kona blend in a tiny cheap machine that makes only three cups. The coffee tastes just as good as it does in the restaurant.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:14 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
I put a poll out about this a while ago. You can read the results and comments

//www.city-data.com/forum/food-...nch-press.html

By the way, so many people raved about an Aero Press that I bought one. My turn to rave now. I love it!

Old 03-21-2018, 01:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfertx View Post
So what's the difference between a brew machine and those like Keurig and Nescafe?
Keurig and Nespresso use pods. You slip in a pod, punch a button, and out comes coffee into your cup. Keurigs tend to break and the coffee is not hot. Nespresso is more expensive and makes better coffee.

A brew machine, like my Cuisinart, requires you to grind beans, pour in water and punch a button. You can use ground coffee, if you want, instead of grinding beans.

Pour overs make great coffee, but you can’t usually make much coffee at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink