Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 06:00 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times

Advertisements

No, i dont mean put a plate of meatloaf and mashed potatoes in the closet or keep a bottle of Beam in your desk drawer. Do you buy any sort of "crave" food such as a bag of your fave candies or a box of your fave snacks and hide them somewhere because others would eat/drink it in a heartbeat and youd get none? Or they wouldnt last as long as you wished?

**This is for food nobody knows you have purchased, not stuff everyone sees laying there.

Last edited by pythonis; 11-05-2014 at 06:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 06:03 PM

919 posts, read 848,279 times
No, my parents taught me how to share.
Before taking the last of anything, you ask everyone else if they have had any yet. If not, break it up and share.
If others like the same thing I do, buy more.

Well, all this applies to family and very close friends. If you are talking about roommates raiding your food, get different roommates

Old 11-05-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
No, my parents taught me how to share.
Before taking the last of anything, you ask everyone else if they have had any yet. If not, break it up and share.
If others like the same thing I do, buy more.

Well, all this applies to family and very close friends. If you are talking about roommates raiding your food, get different roommates
uhhh my parents taught me how to share as well, however life taught me that if you want your package of, say, Mallomars. to not be eaten by the others in the house in less than a day then hide them so only you can enjoy them.

This is a fun thread, not a "youre a horrible person who needs to live with new people" thread.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:13 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
as kids we would hide our Halloween candy, and also the chocolate easter bunnies,,,,,and we could tell if another sibling started gnawing on the chocolate bunny by the teeth marks

on a serious note, a couple coworkers would binge eat- they'd eat salads,,always on a diet,,, and hide large Hershey bars in their desks, and eat the whole damn thing

Old 11-05-2014, 06:16 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
I used to do this at work but not at home , I never heard of doing such a thing at home and never would . Now I raised two boys and boys are always hungry and they always had something out and they would have been so mad at me if I had hid anything in the way of food from them . I think as a kid I would have been mad at my family if I found out one of them had hid food . I just don't think it is right to hide food at home but okay at work since you don't really know those people .

Old 11-05-2014, 06:22 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
o think everyone did that, but i mean now, as adults do you or have you in your adult life ever hid some small thing of food somewhere in the house because you loved it so much that you didnt want your spouse or kids eating all or any of it? Sort of an "i love you but this is MINE" type thing.

yes,,,,,sweets once in a great while,,,reese's pb cups to snickers bars

usually hide in the freezer

Old 11-05-2014, 06:22 PM

118 posts, read 157,355 times
If I buy something a bit pricey for enjoyment, I don't want to find someone mindlessly munching it all in front of the TV, not even aware of what they are eating. So of course it is put aside to be enjoyed and possibly shared.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momzdrm View Post
If I buy something a bit pricey for enjoyment, I don't want to find someone mindlessly munching it all in front of the TV, not even aware of what they are eating. So of course it is put aside to be enjoyed and possibly shared.
This is what im talking about. Buy it and make sure that its eaten when you want it to be eaten and by whom.

To the previous poster, cant hide anything in the freezer here because everyone is always rummaging around in there to look and see what all is in there to eat.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:11 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
My husband hides his junk food from the kids.

I don't hide food. My mom used to lock everything edible in the freezer in the garage so that we wouldn't eat it. This was a good idea in theory because she didn't want fat kids, but then she'd leave us home all day in the summers without anything to eat. So I don't like the idea of locking food away from my kids.

If I have something that's mine, I put it in the pantry and then I tell everyone that it's mine. If they want it, they can ask me. The only one who eats up all my food without asking is my dad, who has dementia and can't remember that he's eaten.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My husband hides his junk food from the kids.

I don't hide food. My mom used to lock everything edible in the freezer in the garage so that we wouldn't eat it. This was a good idea in theory because she didn't want fat kids, but then she'd leave us home all day in the summers without anything to eat. So I don't like the idea of locking food away from my kids.

If I have something that's mine, I put it in the pantry and then I tell everyone that it's mine. If they want it, they can ask me. The only one who eats up all my food without asking is my dad, who has dementia and can't remember that he's eaten.
Our parents didnt lock up the food, the kitchen was simply off limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink