Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 12:12 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I always add the potatoes to soup uncooked. It takes about 30 minutes or less for them to be fully cooked (and they're in fairy big chunks), so the soup probably only needed another 10 minutes or so to cook. It does not take 3 hours for potatoes to fully cook, even if you had large baking potatoes thrown into the soup uncut.

If some of the liquid cooks down, then add some more. No one was telling you to just add liquid and overflow your pot. If the pot wasn't overflowing with liquid before, then it wouldn't be if you were to add more for whatever liquid was lost during the cooking process. But really, you're soup is not going to go dry in the few minutes it takes the potatoes to finish cooking unless you had the heat all the on high. Soup just needs to be on simmer (just below boiling) for it to cook. I made stew over the weekend, and even having it on simmer for three hours, there wasn't a noticeable difference in the amount of broth in the soup.
LOL...I usually burn water...and the reason I wasn't even considering it was more so to not thin out the soup too much...you know, like turn it too watery and flavorless?
The potatoes were cut in very small squares, which was the other thing I couldn't figure out, if they would mush to the point of mashed potatoes inside soup...LOL I was very confused needless to say...

Old 11-11-2014, 12:14 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Well, yeah. You were making it more complicated then it needed to be. Its soup. You simmer it on the stovetop until everything is cooked.

Granted others are also making it more complicated then it needed to be. Fish out all the potatoes and cook them separately in another pot or in the microwave? Put the potatoes in a blender and liquify them? Maybe I'm just more patient then others and can wait the 10-15 minutes it would take potatoes to finish cooking in the pot.
I have ZERO patience when it comes to food, which is why I bake cakes! LOL

I was starving and I wanted to eat...but I don't like the potatoes undone; it was difficult to phrase it well because I don't cook, so I was looking for a short cut if you will...LOL

Old 11-11-2014, 12:32 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
LOL...I usually burn water...and the reason I wasn't even considering it was more so to not thin out the soup too much...you know, like turn it too watery and flavorless?
The potatoes were cut in very small squares, which was the other thing I couldn't figure out, if they would mush to the point of mashed potatoes inside soup...LOL I was very confused needless to say...
If all the water is usually evaporating from your pot (when you don't want it to) then you probably have the heat up WAY to high. A nice simmer (just below boiling) is usually good.

If you were worried about the soup getting too thin, then it probably didn't need more liquid. No one can really tell you if you really needed to add more liquid or not, it really just depends on you and the consistency that you want your soup to be. If it were to become too thick, then just add a little liquid at a time. But again it just depends on how the soup is doing and how you like it. Like when I made stew a few days ago, I added extra flour to the broth because I wanted my soup a little thicker, but then when we reheated it up the next day SO added some broth to it because he thought it was too thick. So its really just what you prefer since it was your soup that only you would be eating.

And don't just add water to the soup, add whatever liquid you were using to make the soup so it doesn't end up watery and flavorless. If its a broth based soup, add more broth. If its a cream based soup, use whatever cream (milk, heavy cream, etc.) that you used as the liquid. Or with cream soups you can add some vegetable or chicken stock (depending on the flavors) to the soup if its too thick. You can always add more seasoning as well if more liquid is needed. Just taste the soup as it cooks and go from there.

If the potatoes were cut in very small squares then they would have only needed a few more minutes to cook. I cut mine in pretty big chunks, and it only takes about 30 minutes for them to cook. When I check the potatoes, if they're not done, I'll set the timer to check them again in a few minutes. But even then they probably wouldn't over cook. My carrots seemed to take forever to cook in my stew, a lot longer then the potatoes, but the potatoes were still fine. We even decided to added lentils to the stew after everything was done, and even after cooking (on simmer) another 25 minutes nothing was overcooked and there wasn't a noticeable difference in the amount of liquid.

Mashed potatoes are mashed potatoes because they are mashed, not because they are overcooked. They might not keep together as well when pierced with a fork, but they're not going to turn into liquid potatoes unless you want them to.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:10 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
This not about the flavor; My husband cannot eat potatoes, but I like potatoes in my soup, and it was pretty simple...he boiled the potatoes in a different pot, the soup with the rest of the veggies was in another pot, then he split the soup into two pots, then added my potatoes in my pot. The only issue was that they didn't cook all the way through, and some were harder than others, and I didn't know how much longer they could have been cooked in my pot "after" putting them in there.

Trust me, it sounds a lot more complicated in writing than it was in reality.
OOHHH! You did not splain this the first time, Lucy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink