Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 08:34 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times

Advertisements

Think You've Been Eating Wasabi All This Time? Think Again

It truly is sad when almost 95% of Sushi places in America don't use real wasabi instead they are using green colored horse-radish. It's like fake guacamole.

Last weekend I was at Mitsuwa Japanese Supermarket for the Tuna slicing festival and enjoyed some freshly sliced Tuna along with some real Wasabi. Mitsuwa » TUNA Filleting Event (New Jersey Store)

What does real Wasabi tastes like? It's actually less pungent smelling, horseradish almost instantly get into your sinus but real Wasabi doesn't sting that much.

The taste is a lot smoother and the sting is more progressive as it slowly builds onto your tongue vs instantly hitting your tongue with horseradish.

The real difference really is taste, it has a more earthy tone than the fake wasabi or horseradish.

Some folks might not like it because it is less pasty and more grainy in texture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 08:36 AM

2,290 posts, read 1,433,330 times
I always assumed most of it wasn't authentic. I've heard that real wasabi is a lot more expensive.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:59 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post
I always assumed most of it wasn't authentic. I've heard that real wasabi is a lot more expensive.
Most of the sushi places we go to have it if you request it, but there's usually an additional charge ($5 or so). If you live in a cool climate it's not that hard to grow and make your own, it just takes awhile (2 growing seasons).

Old 11-19-2014, 11:13 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post
I paid $1 for a small bag good for maybe 5-6 pieces of sashimi but the stuff takes a bit to tingle in your tongue once it does it's longer lasting sensation.

It doesn't mix very well with soy sauce, it's bit more gritty than smooth.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:25 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
I've had both, and I really don't care what the sushi bars use. The true wasabi is usually grated in front of you so that you can witness the authenticity and freshness.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Hasn't this been common practice for ages?

Old 11-19-2014, 09:05 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Think You've Been Eating Wasabi All This Time? Think Again

It truly is sad when almost 95% of Sushi places in America don't use real wasabi instead they are using green colored horse-radish. It's like fake guacamole.

Last weekend I was at Mitsuwa Japanese Supermarket for the Tuna slicing festival and enjoyed some freshly sliced Tuna along with some real Wasabi. Mitsuwa » TUNA Filleting Event (New Jersey Store)

What does real Wasabi tastes like? It's actually less pungent smelling, horseradish almost instantly get into your sinus but real Wasabi doesn't sting that much.

The taste is a lot smoother and the sting is more progressive as it slowly builds onto your tongue vs instantly hitting your tongue with horseradish.

The real difference really is taste, it has a more earthy tone than the fake wasabi or horseradish.

Some folks might not like it because it is less pasty and more grainy in texture.
Real wasabi tastes more herbal. If you are outside Japan, you are not getting authentic wasabi, period.

Even in Japan, I doubt many people have had real wasabi.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:10 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
...If you are outside Japan, you are not getting authentic wasabi, period...
I beg to differ. Go to a state-side restaurant featuring Japanese wagyu beef (not domestic wagyu) and see if they offer real wasabi. Better yet, get to know a senior itamae.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 11-19-2014 at 10:19 PM..

Old 11-20-2014, 09:44 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I beg to differ. Go to a state-side restaurant featuring Japanese wagyu beef (not domestic wagyu) and see if they offer real wasabi. Better yet, get to know a senior itamae.
well..

Old 11-20-2014, 11:45 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
This is just another example of the same basic problem -- consumer ignorance. Most Americans have no idea how real wasabi tastes. Just like they don't know how real olive oil tastes. Or how real sherry tastes.

So they get duped.

Real wasabi is considerably more mild than green horseradish powder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink