Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 07:13 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times

Advertisements

Everything at my family Thanksgiving was great, except for the dressing. I don't know who made it, but it was inedible. I don't even know how to describe it. There was way too much sage and from the texture, white bread must have been part of it. I didn't have the nerve to ask who made it since I made nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 07:29 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I did use 1% milk, and I can't swear I've used anything but whole milk before, so it is a very possible cause. They were Delmonte green beans (drained), and regular Campbell's Cream of Mushroom. None of the cans were damaged or old. Like I said before, I've made it every year for about 40 years without incident.
The only thing that I deviated from is my oven was set 25 degrees lower, so it baked about twice as long as it would have otherwise.
The conditions for curdling of milk protein can be very susceptible to pH, time and temperature. It's possible that the longer time tipped it over the edge into curdling, even at a lower temp. But this is something that a higher fat milk would help with.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:00 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,810 times
I agree it was probably the lower oven temp and cooking it twice as long. My oven temp has gone wonky and I baked two of the ugliest pumpkin pies I've ever seen.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:44 AM

17,391 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Unless you're deployed in Afghanistan, why would you do that to people? Fresh beans are available all over the United States, so are fresh mushrooms. Take an extra ten minutes and make something decent using real ingredients. I'll bet you can find fifty recipes on the interwebs if you need the help. Redeem yourself at Christmas!
. I make fresh, steamed veggies a lot. Green beans with sliced mushrooms, a crumble of bacon, tossed in a little olive oil would be more of a Sunday dinnre sort of dish for us. GBC is a once a year Thanksgiving day treat for us. Mashed potatoes, candied sweet potato casserole, stuffing, turkey - also a once a year treat.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:07 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
I suspect the mushroom soup had gone over. I've seen that on occasion when someone forgot to check the expiration date.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:51 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I didn't have a veggie dish for TG. I eat salads, etc. all throughout the yr, so no veggies on TG won't hurt me.

My cornbread stuffing that is my mom's recipe didn't quite turn out the way I wanted it, but it was still good. I use toasted wheat bread, the grocery store box cube stuffing, & the homemade cornbread, which that didn't turn out like I wanted, so I didn't use any of it in the stuffing.
Cornbread stuffing is the ONLY stuffing we ever make. My Grandmother's recipe is what we follow too. Here is how we make ours:

1. Make Cornbread:
Mix 2 cups Martha White self-rising cornmeal and 1 cup Martha White self-rising flour with whisk. Add 1 cup buttermilk and stir with whisk. Add enough water until it is no longer thick but not too thin either (you don't want it watery). Add 1 egg and stir with whisk until it is mixed (it will be a little grainy). Spray a large iron skillet with Pam and pour batter in and bake at 450 until browned.
2. Chop 3 medium white onions and 6 stalks celery (food processor is easier) and sauté (no oil or spray) in pan or saucepan until tender but not mushy.
3. Crumble cornbread into large bowl and add (usually whole bottle) of McCormick Gourmet rubbed Dalmatian sage. We usually add half a bag of Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing Mix and you can also add toasted bread if you want.
4. Add the onion and celery and stir.
5. Add broth with ladle until it is moist.
6. Season with McCormick poultry seasoning to taste.
7. We usually make hamburger sized patties and bake it at 450 until as browned as you like.

Delicious and hope it helps you with your cornbread.

Last edited by AtlantaIsHot; 11-29-2014 at 03:27 PM..

Old 11-29-2014, 06:35 PM

261 posts, read 1,217,100 times
Love all the different reactions to GBC. I always wonder if my guests are eating it because they like it or because they are too polite to decline! I love it, but then I'm not known to be a picky eater. As a person who was a kid and teen in the 1960's and 70's, my mother fed us such delicacies as GBC, and the ever unpopular and disgusting Tuna casserole made with canned tuna, green peas and crushed potato chips on the top. Compared to the tuna casserole, GBC was absolutely mouth watering. My husband's frugal parents fed him and his four siblings a disgusting concoction called schmooey on toast. That nausea inducing dish was made of cream of mushroom soup, canned tuna and "enough milk to make this into the consistency of a thick sauce". This concoction was to be served over toasted white bread. Can you even image what that looked like sitting on a plate? His mom actually included this recipe in a cookbook she self published, thus the reason for the quotation marks. At least her Pink Bunny recipe had some color. That yummy dish was made with canned tomato soup, hot water, shredded American cheese, one egg, dry mustard, and worcestershire sauce. Serve that heaping helping of yumminess on toasted bread and garnish with a green pickle. The recipe is silent on whether that pickle should be dill or sweet.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:01 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNCGirl View Post
Love all the different reactions to GBC. I always wonder if my guests are eating it because they like it or because they are too polite to decline! I love it, but then I'm not known to be a picky eater. As a person who was a kid and teen in the 1960's and 70's, my mother fed us such delicacies as GBC, and the ever unpopular and disgusting Tuna casserole made with canned tuna, green peas and crushed potato chips on the top. Compared to the tuna casserole, GBC was absolutely mouth watering.
Ugh! That was the worst! Hated that.

Quote:
My husband's frugal parents fed him and his four siblings a disgusting concoction called schmooey on toast. That nausea inducing dish was made of cream of mushroom soup, canned tuna and "enough milk to make this into the consistency of a thick sauce". This concoction was to be served over toasted white bread. Can you even image what that looked like sitting on a plate? His mom actually included this recipe in a cookbook she self published, thus the reason for the quotation marks.
Lol!

Quote:
At least her Pink Bunny recipe had some color. That yummy dish was made with canned tomato soup, hot water, shredded American cheese, one egg, dry mustard, and worcestershire sauce. Serve that heaping helping of yumminess on toasted bread and garnish with a green pickle. The recipe is silent on whether that pickle should be dill or sweet.
Lol! Your whole post made me laugh.

I've only made GBC once, at the request of a family member, and they wanted me to use the French's fried onion recipe. It was not a success.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:02 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Do you still have the milk? Is it still good? It may of gotten warm at the market, then replaced in the dairy section. It is the only ingredient that easiest to be a variable; I can't remember a bad can of beans, soup or onions. Unless the soy sauce went evil on you and but how could you tell?

I love GBC, but not a fan of the salt content of the Campbell's version. Been too lazy to make it from scratch. I also prefer whole green beans from the frozen section, though serving whole beans in a sauce can be awkward. I always forget to cut them down to a manageable size.
I actually just got up and got a glass of the milk, exp 12/6, just to make sure it is OK, and it is still fresh, so that is not the reason.
It looked normal going into the oven, so it must have to do with the lower temp for too long a time.
This kind of puzzles me though, because I also use cream of mushroom soup in Paula Deen's Beef Stroganoff recipe in which it simmers for 30 minutes and it does not separate.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:05 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
At least her Pink Bunny recipe had some color. That yummy dish was made with canned tomato soup, hot water, shredded American cheese, one egg, dry mustard, and worcestershire sauce. Serve that heaping helping of yumminess on toasted bread and garnish with a green pickle. The recipe is silent on whether that pickle should be dill or sweet.
This sounds like the cheese strata recipe my mother made, except the bread was in it instead of under it. I really liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink