Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 11:50 AM

5,193 posts, read 5,767,731 times

Advertisements

All the time. About the only time that I purchase meats/poultry/seafood at full price is when I want King crab and the speciality items for Thanksgiving and Christmas meals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 12:01 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I guess I hesitated saying 'Clearance Meat'...haha...but yes you are right.
That little area of daily markdowns.
now, if you really want the insight and jump on specials- give the butcher you know your email address and he will send you the managers specials -

I do this ,,,, i'll even deliver the meat to certain ladies

Old 12-06-2014, 01:16 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,047,026 times
I always check the cheap meat first! Always! But beef is so high right now even the bargain bin is expensive.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:08 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,002,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
The beauty of knowing people from different parts of the world is learning those reduced cuts of meat are the best available in the lands they come from. Go shopping with an Asian and learn how to buy meats. You cut off the questionable part and cook the rest like the high dollar stuff. We are some jaded a$$es when it comes to what equates to luxury elsewhere.
Ok, first, if that isn't one h--- of a racial stereotype I don't know what is. Who says things like that with a straight face?

Second, there are certain things I don't look to find the absolutely cheapest option for. Borderline meat, used mattresses, medication from questionable Internet sites... all not worth savings a few bucks. If a discount lawn mower doesn't work, that's one thing, as I'm not actually putting that in my body (and it doesn't contain things that could contaminate my body without a lot of effort.)

Old 12-06-2014, 04:17 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,829,165 times
Back to the thread's topic: I just picked up some tenderloins on mark down this afternoon. Woot, miso rubbed steaks tonight.

Also grabbed a few smart whole chickens that were marked down to stew and make stock/dishes.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:29 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Although I always shop the meat specials, I made the mistake of buying a manager's special chicken at Kroger, and it was a fatty awful mess.
I have Publix, Food Lion, and Bilo stores nearby. I shop at whichever beef specials are on sale. Then, I fill in the blanks at the others for that week.
I go to Sam's once a month or so, and I look for meat deals there, too, but I always buy my coffee beans, and cage free eggs there.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
The beauty of knowing people from different parts of the world is learning those reduced cuts of meat are the best available in the lands they come from. Go shopping with an Asian and learn how to buy meats. You cut off the questionable part and cook the rest like the high dollar stuff. We are some jaded a$$es when it comes to what equates to luxury elsewhere.

go shopping with an Asian and learn how to buy meats??

I don't understand your whole post....

I don't think an Asian could "learn me how to buy meats"

Old 12-06-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Back to the thread's topic: I just picked up some tenderloins on mark down this afternoon. Woot, miso rubbed steaks tonight.

Also grabbed a few smart whole chickens that were marked down to stew and make stock/dishes.
steaks are better when aged

most stores place a 3-4 day shelf life on fresh cut steaks, the optimum bloom is at day two - then it starts to break down and discolor (still good)

if I cut a fresh rib eye now and placed it in my fridge it'll be good for 10-12 days but only look good for 3-4 days

beef fades away,,,while pork and chicken dies
so if the steak is a little discolored its still ok,,,,even better at times

Old 12-06-2014, 05:17 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,987 times
I always look for meat in the "mark-down" section. I find that it is a crowded spot and sometimes I have to wait my turn to look. It is a narrow section only about two feet wide!

Old 12-06-2014, 05:39 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
Asians? Shop with a Mexican!! They will tell you what to buy at the counter!
Mexican meat market, Carnicerias that is...and teach you the language!
Cuts I'd never seen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink