Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 10:52 PM

45 posts, read 102,867 times

Advertisements

On impulse, I bought a 4 quart Staub enamel cast iron French oven. It's really pretty, but I'm not sure if I'll really use it enough to justify the price tag, or if I should switch it out for something else.

Some background: I currently work from home, and I have young kids, so I tend to be around the house enough to cook in this method. I have a crock pot that I use now and then for stews or the occasional pork or chicken dish. I enjoy cooking, although I don't usually have time to cook elaborate meals because I'm chasing after the kids.

So, for anyone who has a French oven:

Is it different enough from crock pot cooking that I should keep it and use it?

Does anyone have experience with this brand or similar styles and have any tips?

Any great recipes you'd like to share to get me started?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 12:53 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monet789 View Post
On impulse, I bought a 4 quart Staub enamel cast iron French oven. It's really pretty, but I'm not sure if I'll really use it enough to justify the price tag, or if I should switch it out for something else.

Some background: I currently work from home, and I have young kids, so I tend to be around the house enough to cook in this method. I have a crock pot that I use now and then for stews or the occasional pork or chicken dish. I enjoy cooking, although I don't usually have time to cook elaborate meals because I'm chasing after the kids.

So, for anyone who has a French oven:

Is it different enough from crock pot cooking that I should keep it and use it?

Does anyone have experience with this brand or similar styles and have any tips?

Any great recipes you'd like to share to get me started?

Thanks!!!
I had to look up French oven. Not sure why you compare it to a crock pot. It's closer to a Dutch oven. Heavy iron pot. I have a Dutch oven and love it. Stews, chili, pot roast, whole chicken, etc. Stove top or in the oven.

I'd say keep it. Take care of it and it should last forever.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:55 PM

4,694 posts, read 3,473,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
I had to look up French oven. Not sure why you compare it to a crock pot. It's closer to a Dutch oven. Heavy iron pot. I have a Dutch oven and love it. Stews, chili, pot roast, whole chicken, etc. Stove top or in the oven.

I had to look it up too!

I would keep it if I were you. Actually now I am thinking I need one too!

Old 12-07-2014, 04:34 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
French ovens have nothing in common with crockpots besides their both being vessels in which you make something to eat.

When you make chili or sauce for pasta in a cast iron pot, you need to stir fairly often. Cast iron gets hot spots otherwise, and you can burn something you cook on direct heat. I prefer to use All-Clad for this purpose (or tin-lined copper, if you've got it) to either Le Creuset or Staub, and I prefer Le Creuset to Staub. I don't like Staub because of the black enamel interior. I like to be able to see the fond when I'm cooking, so I prefer Le Creuset's beige interior.

The French/Dutch oven is better for stews, daubes, etc., that you make in the oven, which don't need stirring. Coq au vin or boeuf bourguignon are two classic recipes for braising. I love to cook beans this way. Look up different braising recipes online. Molly Stevens and Jean Anderson are two good cookbook authors to google.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:42 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
I use my crockpot about 1/10 as often as my French ovens. I have several sizes and make soups, chili, braised meat dishes, just about anything.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:50 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post

I had to look it up as well. Looks like a Dutch oven.

That being said, I LOVE my Le Creuset Dutch oven.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:01 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
I have a Le Creuset Dutch oven, typical orange...it's worth close to $300...huge...
I found it for $50 at an indoor Flea Market...You couldn't pry it from my cold dead hands.
I did the turkey in it ...not one drop of liquid escaped it...perfect fitted cover!
Heaven....all the controversy about my iron,non-enameled Dutch oven....and I sold it.
'Rust leeching, too much iron oxidating in our blood'...I didn't know what was TRUE
anymore. I thought it was a good thing and it helped us with iron!!!

Heavier than a bar bell!

Old 12-07-2014, 05:42 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Le Creuset is a French oven. Dutch ovens are the non-enameled type, while French ovens are enameled.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:10 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
You'll find it's also good for baking no-knead bread in it as well. They're lovely cooking pieces, and if you're around most of the days to be able to check in occasionally on a long braised dish, keep it.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:12 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Le Creuset is a French oven.
Dutch ovens are the non-enameled type, while French ovens are enameled.
Ah...Ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink