Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 06:20 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,602,986 times

Advertisements

Wondering about this cut of meat, how to cook, is it good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 07:01 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,039 times
I am sorry but I cannot answer your question.

In was just looking at grocery flyer today and saw Prime Rib Roast.

I was wondering if that was the same as Prime Rib.
That good Prime Rib you eat with horse radish.

Its all so confusing

Old 12-16-2014, 09:40 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
It is just as it says...a rib roast. If it were graded USDA Prime, then it would be Prime Rib.

It's the same cut, just different grades.

I'm guilty of calling rib roasts Prime Rib also.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:58 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
If you do it right all the ribs of the prime are good to cook. Ask the butcher or meat department which ribs this particular "center" cut entails.

Traditional Prime Rib is ribs 7-12. However today the 6th is included as well.

The name Prime Rib is the Cut and has nothing to do with the grade of the meat.

You can have a Prime, Choice or Select Prime Rib Roast.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:04 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
Is it good? Okay...first. ..what is you comfort level in cooking? Prime rib and even rib roast is not hard to cook..but if you are not familiar with the cut to ask if it's good......maybe we need to start with with your comfort level with basic cooking first.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:10 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
OP, Mainebrokerman can answer all your questions and probably will. He is a former butcher and meat market manager for years! He knows his stuff.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:33 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
"Prime Rib "is now a generalized term meaning a rib eye roast (bone in or boneless)

A "standing Rib Roast" implies a bone in rib roast.

technically, it cannot be be advertised as "prime rib" unless it is actually PRIME grade
(top 3 beef grades are Prime , choice, and select)

years ago, the rib had a fatty "cap" to it - which was very flavorful, and the roasts were sold with this "cap" on it- and you would see the terms "small end " and "large end"
the large end connected to the chuck , with a much larger "cap" on it- also if you've ever ordered a prime rib steak at a restaurant and have a lot of (internal) fat in the steak, this is from the large end

small end" ( of the 7 bone rib) use to be more expensive because of less fat/waste

today, there is no "cap" as there use to be in most stores, and most stores do not advertise small or large end anymore,,,just a rib roast (there isn't much difference between the two without the cap )

a "center cut" prime rib roast, (this is new to me also) but it would mean a roast out of the center or heart of the rib

this would be my recommendation for a rib roast
depending on adult to child ratio- figure 1lb per serving for bone in roasts, for boneless roast, figure 1/2-3/4 lb per serving (some adults will eat a lot of this!)

I would call for a special order get exactly what you want,,, if a bone in roast ask them to "bone and tie" the roast - they will do it for free (simply means taking the roast off the bones and tie-ing it back on-so you don't have to cut away from the bone when carving it

usually two ways to cook this roast , some will swear by searing it on high heat and then turning the oven temp down
and the traditional method is roasting 17-20 minutes per lb at 325 (bring the roast to room temp before putting in oven)
I don't like recommending the high heat searing method, because if not done correctly its a very expensive roast to mess up on

if using a thermometer I will take roast out of the oven at 125-128 degrees let it "set" for at least 20 minutes it will still cook a bit - this is for medium rare
do not tent or cover with tinfoil at all , not when its cooking and not when its on the counter

a lot of folks have very particular "right " ways to cook this roast and that's fine,,,, but beware the high heat searng if your first time- a very expensive roast to practice on--I use to recommend this cooking method and somehow they'd mess it up and blame me for ruining their meal

the "end" of the roast will be more cooked than the middle, so when carving, place those slices together for the "medium" crowd

I also like to spread olive or garlic oil on roast and season with salt/pepper/garlic and a hint of rosemary- and roast UNCOVERED if covered in tinfoil, it will steam and taste more like a chuck roast consistency

the rib roast is one of my favorites!!

put your trust in a store/butcher shop that still has butchers/meatcutters

Walmart has no butchers and will not do any special orders (on site)

one last tip- if you have dull carving knives, you can also ask your butcher to sharpen one - doesn't hurt to ask, and he will usually do it for free
" if I order a roast from you , will you sharpen my kitchen knife so I can carve it" ????

for the rib eye enthusiasts the "cap" im speaking of above is not the same "cap" that is part of the rib eye itself, (think of a rib/blade chop on pork, much larger than center cut pork chop)

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 12-17-2014 at 05:01 AM..

Old 12-17-2014, 07:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
Prime rib, center cut rib, or just rib roast is about the same. the difference could be the grade of beef. They are all cooked the same and should taste great. Everyone cooks theirs a little different. We do ours at about 450 for 45 min. turn it off, do not open the oven. let it set and they reheat at 450 about 45 minutes before serving. I got this recipe off the Food network years ago and have never had it fail.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:37 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,746,245 times
I do the Paula seen method and it comes out perfect every time .

Basically 375 oven for the first hour, then turn off the oven for three hours, reheat 45 mins before serving.

Paula Deen Perfect Standing Prime Rib Roast Recipe - Food.com

Old 12-17-2014, 01:35 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,602,986 times
Default How about a rib eye roast.....how to ook rib eye roast---.

How is this cut of meat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink