Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 07:20 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times

Advertisements

Okay, okay... I'll admit... 'though begrudgingly... that I may be getting up there in age... and do wear my reading glasses to read... but other than that, I really don't need them.

That is... until it comes to salting something! I can never judge anymore if I have enough salt or not by just shaking the salt shaker! Because, you see, I can't see it when it's coming out! It's always too little or too much... nothing "just right" like Goldilocks found! And, I be darn if I'm putting on my glasses in a restaurant just to salt something 'cause I surely can't eat with them on.

Whew, there, I said it! 'Tis heck getting older! Now, pepper, I have no problem with, because it has color. So, I've concluded what is needed here is colored salt! I mean, they do make colored sugar, so why not?

Help!!! Anyone with me? Any ideas? And, what color shall it be? Any other food item you'd like to see changed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 08:18 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,735,832 times
Here you go!

Colored table salt in five colors

Old 01-05-2008, 08:21 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,735,572 times
That is so cool! -

might get my husband to lay off of it so much, if he can see just how much he's using...

Old 01-05-2008, 08:28 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Or you could go back to the old fashioned way of a open salt dish with a little salt spoon to go with it. You can then be extra scientific about how much salt you are using by measuring how much salt fits in the bowl of your salt spoon.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:30 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,735,572 times
a salt cellar! how fancy! That would be fun!

Old 01-05-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
Wow, this is great, exactly what I need!

Now, to sneak it in my purse and take it with me!

Thanks holly... who knew!?!

Old 01-05-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Or you could go back to the old fashioned way of a open salt dish with a little salt spoon to go with it. You can then be extra scientific about how much salt you are using by measuring how much salt fits in the bowl of your salt spoon.

Well, I think I need this, too... to put my colored salt in!

This is beautiful... where can I find one?

Old 01-05-2008, 10:30 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
Well, I think I need this, too... to put my colored salt in!

This is beautiful... where can I find one?
Antique stores/malls, eBay, flea markets. They come in stainless steel, glass, china, silverplate, sterling and coin silver. People collect them. There are known as "open salts". They also come in different sizes. Small individual sizes (~1-1/2" diameter) and then master salt dishes that would hold salt for several people. And the salt spoons come in different sizes too so they sit inside the dish well, not falling in or falling out.

Otherwise, it's not good to leave the salt inside your salt dishes after the meal. After the meal, you should pour the salt out into a plastic container for the next meal. This is especially important if your air is humid. Humidity will clump your salt and also damp salt is corrosive.

If you don't want to keep emptying your salt dish every time, find a small mustard holder made out of glass or china. Covered mustard pots are about 3" high. Find a mother of pearl spoon to stick in the pot. They use mother of pearl spoons to serve caviar with. Or a small wooden spoon will work too and be unaffected by being immersed in salt. I found a boxwood salt spoon listed on a kitchen supply site. I can't find a picture of one, but there are neat salt spoons with a hooded pierced top. You scoop then turn the spoon sideways to sprinkle the salt out of the holes on the hood.

Mother of pearl caviar dish and spoon:

http://www.caviar.com/shop/images/pictures/palette_spoon_caviar.jpg (broken link)

Also check a kitchen supply shop and ask what they have to hold salt in. A small individual custard ramekin will work well too as a master salt dish.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:03 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

Bingo, this is what I have, except not so glorious! I have an antique glass cellar, with a silver spoon, seems to work really well with DH, who has high BP. I hardly ever salt food, preferring to leave it to the diner, but we have to watch DH...... Miu, we seem to be kindred spirits....

Old 01-09-2008, 05:31 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
...... Miu, we seem to be kindred spirits....
Do you also have a beer budget but champagne tastes? lol

If the O.P. likes a little garlic flavour, I like the McCormick roasted garlic and sea salt spice that comes in a container with a grinder top. So you can see the garlic flakes and it's about a 50/50 blend of garlic and salt being dispensed. It's the middle container in the picture.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink