Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 12:17 PM

94 posts, read 116,705 times

Advertisements

For 30 years now, I've drink Pepsi. I can't even imagine a meal without soda. I drink about 4 cans a day. I truly believe that all my weight gain (50 lb) is from Pepsi alone-my diet is generally healthy otherwise.

Over the last 10 years I've tried to quit, but can't. I honestly tried. I've told God if Pepsi will ever go out of business, I will never look for anything else. Every year goes by with me promising to quit, as I truly believe I will lose weight and my life will be in total control. I feel totally powerless. (I know, some people kicked heroine and cocaine habit-what am I crying about!)

Moreover Pepsi goes so well with other crappy foods.

Has anyone ever kicked Pepsi's habit to the curb? What worked? I would love to hear stories of success. Please tell me it's doable!

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 12:54 PM

709 posts, read 955,479 times
Of course it's doable. Switch to Mt. Dew.
Seriously though, Just don't buy it for the house and order water if you eat out.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:11 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Pepsi goes well with crappy food? I believe it.. always tasted like metallic cigarette butts to me. Some of my bunch still drink that many other brand sodas a day. Not healthy. Switch to iced Tea. I did it long ago.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:17 PM

460 posts, read 1,004,945 times
I have a friend like you. She has even been to expensive clinics to try to overcome her dependence. She hasn't been able to, and she now has Type 2 diabetes.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:18 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,764,351 times
One easy way is not to have it readily available - don't buy it. I drink cola in moderation because I don't buy it and bring it into my home with regularity.

Make it a special treat to have a couple of times a week. Substitute the Pepsi with an ice-cold glass of water with a fresh lemon slice.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:30 PM

460 posts, read 1,004,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
One easy way is not to have it readily available - don't buy it. I drink cola in moderation because I don't buy it and bring it into my home with regularity.

Make it a special treat to have a couple of times a week. Substitute the Pepsi with an ice-cold glass of water with a fresh lemon slice.
That probably makes sense to you, someone who doesn't have an addiction to Pepsi. I personally don't drink soda, maybe 2 times per year, but that kind of advise to me sounds like telling an alcoholic to just switch to ice water and maybe a glass of wine once or twice a week. It seems simple to some people who don't have a problem with something, but I think there's more to it than that.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:30 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
It might be the sugar you're craving. You can switch to iced tea and gradually decrease the amount of sugar in the tea. If it's the throat burn that has you hooked, you can switch to carbonated water. Many fast food restaurants have carbonated water available at the drink dispenser.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:55 PM

94 posts, read 116,705 times
Thank you everyone for your responses.

I am a single man who eats out most of the time. I know it's sounds silly, but I tried to stop a while back, and actually felt physically sick, I could not stop shaking and became deeply depressed. It sounds like an excuse, but there is something in this garbage that just clicks with me.

I know what you are all saying, "Look at the poor people in the Middle East and the Appalachian Mountains struggling for normal life! Just get over it. Stop it already! -this is not a REAL issue!". And to some point I agree.

Drinking it, makes me feel completely out of control and for decades I've been hoping to stop. I've just found lists I've made for myself 20 years ago. Quitting Pepsi is on it. Just do it already!!!

I am fairly disciplined person: I get up every morning, go to work, finished 3 BA's. This took some will power.

This is my New Year's resolution: THIS IS IT and all of the posts are encouraging to me.

Last edited by nyc1641; 12-30-2014 at 02:05 PM..

Old 12-30-2014, 02:02 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,764,351 times
It does not sound silly at all - a physiological withdrawal from either the caffeine and/or the sugar may have caused your symptoms.

Reduce your consumption gradually (set the limits that you believe are achievable while at the same time listening to what your body is telling you) - that would be a great and achievable New Year's Resolution in my opinion.

Good luck and Happy New Year to you!

Old 12-30-2014, 02:27 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post

Don't even walk down the soda aisle! Avoid it. If its not there, you can't drink it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink