Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 03:14 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,751 times

Advertisements

I just thought of another---it didn't exacly happen in the restaurant, but right outside the door where people were coming in & out. When we were teenagers, my siblings and I had just eaten at a McDonalds...on the way out, I was carrying my half-finished chocolate milk shake to drink on the walk home. Well, my younger brother (a total brat back then) had taken ketchup packets from the restaurant, and he had them strategically lined up on the sidewalk outside, so that when I walked out the door he would stomp on them and they would explode all over my legs and pants---which is exactly what happened. I was so furious with him that I instinctively just hurled my chocolate shake at his head--the cover popped off--and he was covered in chocolate shake. Needless to say, our Mom was pretty unhappy with the state of us both when we got home.

We still tease each other about that day--all these years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 06:50 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
I always took my kids out to eat when they were small, despite being a family of 7 they were always well behaved and polite, we even had compliments on how well behaved they were so when we first moved to Michigan we decided to take our 3 grandees out to dinner, we were told they liked the food at the local China Buffet King so off we went. OMG little harridans, they mashed food into the tables, hid under the table, refused to eat anything except soft serve ice cream. Everyone in the restaurant was looking as us so we paid and left. On the way out the oldest had a melt down because we refused to give him 25c so he could get some tat from those crappy vending machines so I dragged him out by his arm.

That was a year ago, we have never eaten out with them since. My son knows he wasn't brought up like that and I'm not blaming my daughter in law but OMG. That advert on tv right now with the chimpanzees at a resataurant ... yes I'd rather take them than the grandee's, at least they have a good excuse for behaving like animals.

Lots of table training since and the oldest who is now nearly 7 still can't use a knife and fork and licks the plate when hes finished
Careful about letting them lick the plate at school. My ex-girlfriend's 7 year old daughter did that after she finished her lunch and then we got a nice little visit from CPS because a teacher saw and just automatically assumed she wasn't getting fed enough at home. Slightly ridiculous.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:05 PM

366 posts, read 433,072 times
When me and my ex boyfriend were still together, his parents visited us and we went to Red Lobster. His mother has always been one of those people that is very rude and uppity to wait staff. She ordered a shrimp cocktail and had an absolute fit, over the fact that the shrimp was not served in a cocktail glass, and sent it back because of this.

Everytime we dined with this woman...no matter how nice the restaurant, she always found something wrong with the place.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:05 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conusmound View Post
Not so much embarrassing as infuriating. In 1984, I was having lunch at a Brigham's in Boston, and my waitress was an elderly woman (whom I think had been a waitress at the Last Supper). I gave her my order, and she brought it about 10 minutes later. I had silverware in hand and was about to take the first bite when she came back to my table and took the plate away. Why? Someone had ordered the identical meal before me, and she went to take it to them.
LOL. I can certainly understand how that was infuriating, but that story is also very funny

Old 01-15-2015, 06:32 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
When I was College there was a Roy rogers on Campus. Both my friend and I attended. We meet for lunch at Roy's and at that time she was taking an oral communications class. So me with my Irish whisper said out loud "How's your oral sex class going"? Talk about a Freudian slip. Everyone in the restaurant turned around and one student asks me "they have that course here?"
Hilarious!!!!!!!

Old 01-15-2015, 06:39 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
I may have posted this before some time ago:

It was my first pregnancy, well-advanced, and hot as only Washington D.C. can be in August. My apartment had no AC and the fan did nothing to relieve the unrelenting heat and humidity. I walked to the local "drug store" with an old time marble soda fountain. I watched as a Dad and his kid got their ice cream and the counterman, a young boy actually, approached me to take my order.

Let me explain that I hate those dry, powdery nuts that they sometimes use to "dust" the ice cream to make it a peanut sundae. What I wanted was a sundae with chocolate sauce and walnuts in syrup. Fanning myself, I smiled and said, "Do you have wet nuts?" Seeing the look on his face made me realize just what I said and how it could be misinterpreted.

I got down from the stool as gracefully as my 8 1/2 month pregnancy would allow and waddled as quckly as I could out of the store. Never did get my ice cream.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:52 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,565 times
This happened twice in my presence so it has to happen a lot....we were in high school eating at a department store restaurant called Hudson's which was legendary for their Maurice Salad.....
Like a chef salad with this famous dressing... We all get ours and we are blabbing and all of a sudden my one friend screams and said that a bug was in her salad..... We looked and there was a caterpillar in a cocoon on the big wedged of lettuce.......CHECK PLEASE...

Then it happened again..eating with my son and my ex bf.....crunching into his salad and yep.....cocoon number 2.....HE WAS
LIVID......my son was laughing as a kid would...... He made a stink but they comped his meal.....

Old 01-15-2015, 09:20 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
What I wanted was a sundae with chocolate sauce and walnuts in syrup. Fanning myself, I smiled and said, "Do you have wet nuts?"
ha, that is what I ask for too

Old 01-15-2015, 12:19 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I choked on a bayleaf left in the lasagna at a nice Italian restaurant,
and threw up as I dislodged it..

The part our family still laughs about is that they offered me a poster
when I left as an apology...

My kids were middle school age and thought a poster for almost killing me
was hysterical...
Growing up we used to say getting the bay leaf was lucky...

Old 01-15-2015, 12:35 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,911 times
great thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink