Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 08:47 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
If it doesn't somewhat taste like "home", then why are half or more of the patrons there of either the ethnicity that the restaurant supposedly serves the food of or one with a similar cuisine?
I have always noticed this as well, especially in Mexican, Chinese, Middle Eastern, and Sushi places.

The same ethnic groups I NEVER see eating at American style restaurants, or indeed, at other ethnicities restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 09:01 PM

336 posts, read 591,987 times
Because "authentic" ethnic restaurants taste different and memorable. And the non-authentic ethnic restaurants taste the same and forgettable in any city nationwide.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
There are so many good ethnic restaurants around here (and I mean the real deal, not the Americanized version) that I can get good, "authentic" ethnic food at reasonable prices any day of the week. And I visit them pretty often.

But I'm not a food snob about it. Sometimes you just want Chinese buffet food or a crunchy taco from Dairy Queen. And that's OK too!

Best of both worlds.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If you had ever tried a taco from an old fashioned taqueria, you probably wouldn't have that opinion at all. del taco, taco bell, and ortega are to Mexican food what Kraft Mac & Cheese is to American Soul Food.

----

Anyway - I enjoy different styles of ethnic foods. I -like- Kraft Mac & Cheese. But I also like baked mac & cheese with smoked gouda, and I like the southern-style that usually gets served as a side with shredded barbeque pork and collard greens. I like taqueria tacos, with cilantro and onion over chunks of marinated skirt-steak, tucked into two small, stacked, hand-spread soft-shell tortillas. I also like crispy-shell tacos with seasoned chopped roast beef, cheddar cheese, lettuce, and pico de gallo. Once in a rare blue moon if I'm at the mall, I might even like a taco bell original taco made with ground beefy-like meat product, cheddar, and lettuce in a stale shell with "hot" sauce.
Nothing quite like those Mexican "street tacos!" OLE!

Old 01-15-2015, 10:40 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Sooner or later, nearly every conversation about popularly priced ethnic food restaurants in the United States turns into ugly allegations that the food isn't 'Authentic', either in its ingredients, it's way of cooking, or its flavor. Most hard hit are Mexican, Italian, Chinese, and Japanese styled restaurants.

My question is, does it really matter? Do you really feel that you should be able to buy an 'Authentic Mexican' taco cart style taco for 99 cents at Taco Bell, or 'Authentic Italian' home cooked style meals for Olive Garden prices, or 'Authentic Japanese' hand-rolled quality sushi for the pre-packaged CostCo sushi price?

On top of that, what makes the recipe 'authentic'? Every year, billions of tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, burritos, etc. are made by millions of Mexicans, none of which are exactly the same. They can vary wildly according to the available ingredients and the preferences of this making and eating them. Everywhere from bland to POW! spicy. The same applies to most ethnic food.

So, unless you are actually immersing yourself in a specific culture, do you care about the authenticity of the food, or do you care more about having an enjoyable meal at a good price?
Who cares when you cannot even get a decent hot dog in 90% of the Country, and they are supposedly as American as apple pie. Or decent soul food in the Midwest. And what is with all of this California this and that? As a native born and raised Californian I look at theses foods and wonder what makes them Californian. Avocado? Sun dried tomatoes? Okay, whatever. And if a California Torilla were truly Californian it would be twice the size and half the price without all of that effin lettuce, tomato, and other filler. You'd start with a tortilla the size of manhole cover, fill it with enough beans and/or beef to fill a kitchen sink, add a fistful of diced onion and cheese, wrap, sell for $5. That's a California tortilla!

And speaking of California, pescados are kind of the unofficial State food. But you never see that on any "California" menu.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:02 PM

29,517 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Glad the OP brought this up, because I was thinking the same thing recently.

In fact I find it downright annoying when people put down places like Taco Bell or Panda Express, saying, b-b-but, that's not real ____ food.

Who gives a flying toss!

I don't eat at Taco Bell because it's 'authentic' Mexican food. Nor Panda Express for any semblance to 'real' Chinese food. And so on and so forth. I eat at those places because I like the taste of the food itself and the way it's cooked and seasoned. On its own merits.

If I wanted 'authentic' ethnic meals, then by golly I'd go to a place that served it.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:10 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
...In fact I find it downright annoying when people put down places like Taco Bell or Panda Express, saying, b-b-but, that's not real ____ food.

Who gives a flying toss!...
They don't advertise themselves as authentic either. Most of us are complaining about restaurants promoting themselves as authentic.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:35 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Nothing quite like those Mexican "street tacos!" OLE!
We used to drive to the boarder walk across and buy bunches and bring them back.
My favorite were the fish tacos from the carts in the Ensenada fish market.

You are from Texas right? although I was at Ft. Hood for 2 years when I was in the Army I don´t remember many Mexican places.
Is the food is much different than in San Diego Mainland vs Baja influence?

Old 01-16-2015, 02:02 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
I've read that you can find authentic Chinese, Korean, and of course regional Mexican restaurants in the appropriate ethnic enclaves ...... authentic from the view of actual recent tourists and immigrants from those countries ...... more so than other American cities. I dunno, that's just what I've heard. And of course, being California, it has an endless supply of ethnic fusion foods and just plain authentic weird stuff.

Since seeing that Anthony Bourdain special on Mexico, I've wanted to do Oaxaca.

Maybe one of these days I'll up and waddle my way down to LA, go on a gastronomic tour. I dunno about Mexico, I'd be a prime target there.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:29 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Why the obsession with the obsession?

Whatever the ethnicity, when the people of that culture flock to that restaurant, go there. Even in Japan, my favorite places were little hole-in-the-wall dives. The real food of the people!

I call it soul food and my big white grandma used to cook up some great soul food. Stick to your ribs, fried chicken, greens, sweet potatoes, etc.

Here's a hint. Have you ever gone into a grocery store and there's a steam table in the deli dept? If there's a grandma-looking lady back there, look like she's raised a bunch of kids? That food is probably really really good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink