Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 05:30 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,371,571 times

Advertisements

Either way is fine, but if you want to sound less pretentious, say "blue" unless you're speaking French. And the next time someone corrects your spelling or grammar, if it's not an obvious typo or error, look it up. When I do, I usually find that the person doing the correcting was wrong because there are multiple acceptable uses and they just don't realize it.

Example: err -- most people pronounce 'err' as in 'air', but an occasional snob will correct you and tell you that it's 'err' as in 'her'. The fact is that they're both correct. Err (her) is kind of an older british pronunciation, so snobs tend to think it's the only correct one, but they're wrong. There are many examples, which bleu vs blue is just one of. Although it's really just the same word in two different languages so it's a bit different in that case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 05:35 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Either way is fine, but if you want to sound less pretentious, say "blue" unless you're speaking French. And the next time someone corrects your spelling or grammar, if it's not an obvious typo or error, look it up. When I do, I usually find that the person doing the correcting was wrong because there are multiple acceptable uses and they just don't realize it.

Example: err -- most people pronounce 'err' as in 'air', but an occasional snob will correct you and tell you that it's 'err' as in 'her'. The fact is that they're both correct. Err (her) is kind of an older british pronunciation, so snobs tend to think it's the only correct one, but they're wrong. There are many examples, which bleu vs blue is just one of. Although it's really just the same word in two different languages so it's a bit different in that case.
That's so interesting about "err" -- I always thought there was only the one pronunciation... like "air."

I thought of the "bleu" vs. "blue" thing, not because I live in a French city, but because I most often see it written as "bleu" (on this forum as well), but sometimes do see it written as "blue." I got curious, that's all. I'm not French or pretentious. Just a curious gal.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:35 PM

412 posts, read 545,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
He's being cantankerous.

If Pink says it's bleu, then it's bleu.
Maybe it should be pink cheese then...

Old 01-21-2015, 05:39 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
I spell it bleu because I get a kick out of all the people who think I'm elitist when I do.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:43 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,371,571 times
Quote:
I thought of the "bleu" vs. "blue" thing, not because I live in a French city, but because I most often see it written as "bleu" (on this forum as well), but sometimes do see it written as "blue." I got curious, that's all. I'm not French or pretentious. Just a curious gal.
I sometimes write 'blue' just so some snob doesn't come back and correct me, "um, it's not blue cheese..." But I think I sound pretentious too when I say 'bleu' in English.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I spell it bleu because I get a kick out of all the people who think I'm elitist when I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
I sometimes write 'blue' just so some snob doesn't come back and correct me, "um, it's not blue cheese..." But I think I sound pretentious too when I say 'bleu' in English.
It's funny because I write it as "bleu" (because that's how I always see it written, even in the States) but, no matter where I am, I say it as "blue."

I wrote this upthread, but I don't know if you saw it and it's a funny story:
Quote:
...being from Montreal, I'm surrounded by French, of course. When I moved to the States (Connecticut), I went to a bakery with my then-husband and I asked the woman in charge for some croissants that I saw behind the counter. She said, "What? Half a dozen whats?" I repeated the word -- croissants -- and she still didn't understand. My husband whispered to me, "Say it like us Americans say it. You sound pretentious as hell." So, yup, I asked for half a dozen CRESCENTS and we were on our way. I explained to him that I was just saying it "properly" -- he knew that I didn't really speak French, despite being from Montreal -- but he said that people would just think I'm uppity. Ha! They should only know how UN-uppity (downity???) I am. But I got my darn CROISSANTS, so I was happy.
So while I'd never say "bleu" all French-like, I couldn't help but say "croissants" the only way I knew how (until he told me the American way).

Old 01-21-2015, 05:51 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
I make a lot of fresh chicken cordon bleu's

so I'm use to spelling it this way

Old 01-21-2015, 05:58 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
It's funny because I write it as "bleu" (because that's how I always see it written, even in the States) but, no matter where I am, I say it as "blue."

I wrote this upthread, but I don't know if you saw it and it's a funny story:

So while I'd never say "bleu" all French-like, I couldn't help but say "croissants" the only way I knew how (until he told me the American way).
Heh - "Crescent rolls." Those are the things that come in the blue Pillsbury wrapper. The other ones that look just like them but you make from scratch, I pronounce (roughly) kwa-SONT with the "w" prounced as an almost-gurgle at the back of my throat.

No, I'm not French. It's just an awesome word

Old 01-21-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I pronounce (roughly) kwa-SONT with the "w" prounced as an almost-gurgle at the back of my throat.

No, I'm not French. It's just an awesome word
YES!!!! You've got it! By George, you've got it!

And keep in mind that I pretty much REFUSE to speak French (even though I live in a French city)... except when I'm asking for a croissant.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:24 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,577 times
I always figured it was "blue cheese" and "bleu french-word-for-cheese." If you translate one thing, why not the other?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink