Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 08:35 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Almond milk goes great blended into a fruit smoothie with some strawberries and bananas.
Or coconut milk with rasberries, apples, cantaloupe, pineapple, green tea or whatever I can think of.
My kids love making fruit/milk cocktails and experimenting with different combinations like a mad scientist.
The nutribullet is the greatest kitchen appliance invented since the toaster hehe.
I'm sure almond milk makes great smoothies!

So does the natural milk and homemade yogurt that's always in my house. My grandkids think MiMi's smoothies are a special treat and like you, we put anything and everything in them. I keep fresh frozen fruit in the freezer just for smoothies, which aren't complete without a big dollop of delicious fresh dairy yogurt in our house.

Almond milk is tasty - I like it. But for me, it's not a substitute for dairy - it's another drink option but it's IN ADDITION TO, rather than INSTEAD OF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 08:58 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Love dairy products.....don't really care for milk.

I cannot remember the last time I drank any sort of milk.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:13 PM

38,895 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Oh, yes, I have a glass of milk every day. I LOVE it!

The kind of milk I buy is certified to be hormone-free. It says so right on the jug or carton.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:16 PM

38,895 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
YES !! I have a herdshare so my milk is raw, unpasteurised, direct from the cow goodness. No antibiotics no hormones just happy grass fed cows.
^^^ This is the best kind of milk to drink, if it's available in your area (it is in my state, thank goodness). As someone else mentioned, the pasteurization process kills both the good and bad bacteria as well as the nutrients that are found naturally in raw milk. I wish I could afford to buy it more often because it's twice the price as the commercially available pasteurized milk.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:21 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
Quote:
Huh? That might be true for dairy milk but the expiration dates on my cashew milk and coconut milk cartons
are 2/18/15 and 2/20/15 and I bought them last week. That's well over a month shelf life.
Not sure if it is available in the US, but you can by ultra pasteurized milk that does not need to be refrigerated and lasts for months opif not years.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:53 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina
Yes, I do. Direct from the farmers.
As long they will have cows, I will have milk
How is that compared to Whole Milk I get @ the store Elnina??

I LOVE Whole milk

Old 01-26-2015, 04:17 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Yes, I drink milk.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:35 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
I don't even drink milk. So the hell with it...

But I believe cow's milk is mandatory for chocolate and other yummy sweets right?

Old 01-26-2015, 07:15 AM

604 posts, read 856,506 times
Quote:
I love alternatives like almond milk, cashew milk and coconut milk because they are naturally low fat and taste amazing. Goes great with cereal or in coffee too.
Coconut milk is awesome, but it is definitely not low fat.

I put milk in my coffee and use it for cooking/baking, but other than that I only drink it a few times a year when I am jonesing for chocolate cake or oatmeal raisin cookies with a glass of cold milk. I buy one quart a week from the local hippie food co-op (they call themselves that, I'm not insulting them) and while I'm pretty sure it's not raw milk it comes with a significant cream plug in the neck of the bottle that I either shake back into the rest of the bottle or in the summer scoop out to put on berries for breakfast.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:18 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times
The difference between the milk I get on herd-share and milk from a store is that I know that my milk comes from one of only a dozen cows that aren't given any antiobiotics nor hormones. The are happy healthy cows that are allowed to roam freely and munch as much delicious grass as they can instead of being cooped up in a barn with several other hundred or even thousand cows, fed a processed diet and sometimes never get to see the sunshine.

I'll take my raw milk any day thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink