Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 06:35 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times

Advertisements

I was going to suggest donating to a food pantry, too. I read recently, I think in the OC Register, that there is even a group in SoCal that will come to your house and harvest some of the fruit for you, then donate it. Can't remember the name but you could probably Google it.

I lived for 26 years in a house in La Habra with three HUGE old Valencia orange trees in the backyard. There was no human way for one family to use up all those oranges, so even though we had fresh orange juice every day of our lives, a lot went to waste. So I feel your pain. Plus, I developed a lifelong aversion to fresh orange juice!

I made marmalade a couple of times and it was really good, but a lot of work, and keep in mind that you need about as much sugar as orange and so you don't use up as many oranges as you would think unless you are making it by the gallon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 08:19 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Put an ad on Craigslist and sell them! Take them to a farmer's market! Ripe off the tree, chemical free! Get yours today!

I juiced up a bunch of grapefruit last year that I got for free from a man in Redding. Wanted people to just come take them away. If you do this, get a good juicer. Dealing with a cheap one made the job a pain for me. But I canned up a bunch of quarts of grapefruit juice, and it was fun to make cocktails with it the next summer :-)

Also canned up a bunch of Meyer lemon juice. Wish I'd canned more of those.

It's really, really easy to can citrus juice. I didn't add anything to mine, so the color got kind of dark, but it still tasted great. I forget the name of the stuff you add to it so it retains it's color right now, but when you look up how to do it, you'll see that info.

BTW, I found my favorite sized jar for juice was the pint and a half jars. Great size. You can get them at Walmart. And if you just use wide-mouth jars for everything, they're way easier to clean.

Have fun! Wish I had one of your oranges to eat right now. Yum.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:31 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
Here's a link to Sunkist that has recipes for oranges and other citrus fruits on it. You're very lucky to have access to fresh oranges!!! Enjoy them!! Browse Sunkist Orange Recipes

Old 02-10-2015, 08:38 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
I miss fresh-off-the-tree oranges!!

Marmalade is pretty easy. It's a good starter recipe for canning. You can freeze the juice of some of them, if you have freezer space. Make orange syrup.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:45 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Make orancello: paperplanes and maryjanes: because everything tastes better homemade... orancello!

Also peel the orange and use it whole in smoothies. Extra fiber!

Old 02-10-2015, 09:59 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
In this area, one call to the food bank and they will send out their volunteers who will harvest the fruit from the trees and give you a receipt for the donation.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:10 AM

922 posts, read 1,111,898 times
All great ideas, everyone, thank you! I especially like the idea of donating them AND making orancello

Old 02-11-2015, 03:18 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
We have 2 orange trees in our backyard and they produced some of the best oranges we've ever had this year- the only problem is that there are so many of them! I've been giving them away but even that only puts a small dent in the supply. These suckers are HUGE and very sweet and juicy, I can't believe how good they are this year.

Does anyone have any ideas on things we can do with them other than juicing and slicing them up? I was thinking of making a bunch of orange marmalade and canning it but I'm not that experienced with canning. I need ideas, I don't want these babies to go to waste!
take them to a farmers market,,,,call them ORGANIC oranges, and charge 2-3.00 apiece,,,just like whole foods does,,,you'll sell them all in one day and make some easy money

Old 02-11-2015, 05:04 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Default Valencia are juice, Seville is for marmalade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
We have 2 orange trees in our backyard and they produced some of the best oranges we've ever had this year- the only problem is that there are so many of them! I've been giving them away but even that only puts a small dent in the supply. These suckers are HUGE and very sweet and juicy, I can't believe how good they are this year.

Does anyone have any ideas on things we can do with them other than juicing and slicing them up? I was thinking of making a bunch of orange marmalade and canning it but I'm not that experienced with canning. I need ideas, I don't want these babies to go to waste!
You more than likely if you're in California (not too far from the parents/ place) have juice orange trees.
Navel and Seville (the preferred rind for marmalade) is usually Florida. (humidity loving)
Juice and freeze, juice and freeze.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:11 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I would make some orange cakes (which use orange juice) which I believe can be put in the freezer for preservation after baking (and cooling off).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink