Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 10:08 AM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times

Advertisements

Okay, this isn''t the way I normally eat..but I'm enjoying the heck out of this right now..

Backstory...came down with an evil head cold--you know the drill, right? Yuck. It may be a "common" cold but it makes you feel uncommonly ill and drippy.

Feed a cold? Yep, I didn't lose my appetite as one does with the flu so often. I was hungry. Didn't want to cook much and grocery shopping was a no go...only wanted to stay bundled up in bed, drink hot toddys and keep the Kleenex Company folks in business..

What to do? DH offered to bring back Chinese takeout..he's not much of a cook beyond heating up stuff and making morning oatmeal. Chinese didn't appeal much for some reason. Then came the lightbulb moment! I had a turkey in the freezer from a Thanksgiving special...and it wasn't a huge one -- about 12.5 pounds.

So friends,fast-forwarding stroy, we've been eating, both lunch and dinner, sliced turkey, stuffing with onions, celery, apples--and cream gravy (I know, my bad--but it's mostly stock and only a bit of half and half. Very yummy).

Feel like I've hit the jackpot--my favorite meal repeated. Might add some variety for dinner tonight -- some cranberry sauce and heck, living dangerously, possibly some green beans. Maybe a sweet potato tomorrow.

I'm weird, right? My DH is, too, for he's enjoying this as much as I am.

Seems the perfect cold weather carb and fat fest when weathering a cold. Thanksgiving every day is what we're doing right now.

We didn't get any left-overs on the real day, friends had us over. We were left-over deprived...maybe that's part of reason this is so enjoyable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 05:31 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I love roasting a turkey on some random day. Usually they're on sale about this time of year, but I haven't seen that happen yet ...

Old 02-18-2015, 05:32 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
I made green bean casserole a few days ago... and I'm not even American.

I hope you're feeling all good now.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:01 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,032 times
I always buy 2 big turkeys before Thanksgiving and make the other one with all the fixins the following summer when I'm sick of burgers and dogs... tastes so good!!!!

Old 02-18-2015, 07:09 PM

Appreciate all your comments! Have yourself a Random Little Thanksgiving! My cold's in retreat -- forget the chicken soup, have turkey, stuffing and gravy instead!

And a hot toddy now in then for a goodnight's sleep!

Old 02-18-2015, 10:39 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Sounds yummy! Thankfully, we always have leftovers (even when we don't do Thanksgiving at our home as we're begged to take extra food home ), but we do two or three turkey dinners with all of the fixings/sides each year. Some of my favorite times of the year!

How do you keep your turkey moist OP? Do you deep fry? Or do you use another method?

Old 02-18-2015, 10:46 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
An extra turkey dinner during the year is always welcome here.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:24 AM

Turkey? Oh, it's supposed to be moist? Just kidding. Since we've eaten through the turkey in 3 days of meals, twice a day (remember it was only 12.5 lbs. and we don't much care for dark meat), moistness was not a big problem.

Every meal, I'd slice off some white meat, put it on top of dressing in a steamer basket over boiling water and the steam made it tender and very moist. Do you ever steam left-overs? It works great for some, not so good for others.

Then, served both bird and dressing with creamy wonderful gravy on top. All in all, it was plenty moist enough.

Before I roasted the turkey I asked a girlfriend how to store left-over turkey, thinking I'd have plenty, which is not the case, little pigs that we've been. She said to store it in plastic containers in the freezer and cover the sliced turkey with some broth to keep it from getting freezer burn.

Has anyone ever tried that? We store fresh shirmp that way (but covered in water) and they keep wonderfully well that way and taste fresh when cooked.

I think I'm done with turkey for now..looked at the poor picked over carcass in the frig this morning and told myself I should use it for soup...but my appetite said, "No more tukey!"

So I'll now toddle forth and hit the grocery store for the first time in a week, cold's mostly gone, and I'm hungering for something green and a non-turkey-like meal. Or even poultry-like.

Maybe something Asian or Italian? Garlic is calling my name. Maybe a Thai stir-fry with lots of ginger and green onions...and hot red garlic chili sauce. No turkey added, though. Done with bland, now want spice!

Old 02-19-2015, 10:18 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I wrap the leftovers tight in aluminum foil - enough in each packet for one meal - and then in a freezer bag. Seems to work well enough ... as long as you don't forget the turkey is in the freezer and thaw it out 9 months later ...

I like the idea of steaming the turkey, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink