Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 04:43 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times

Advertisements

A better plan would be a warning on soda cans and bottles about the high sugar content not being healthy for people with certain medical conditions or perhaps being part of a cause of certain medical conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 06:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
Every day it seems there is some health issue regarding sodas especially on Yahoo. OK when will restaurants get the message and at the very least cut back on the sale of soda and promote the sale of something else like water, coffee, tea, juice and energy drinks such as Red Bull for example ?? Yes I know that there are "issues" with energy drinks but unlike sodas they are VERY popular right now among the young heck my own doctor told me recently to take up drinking Red Bull instead of diet sodas " for the sake of your health".
Why do you think it is the place for a restaurant to decide what to serve or what is good for us? This is like saying when will the government require us not to indulge in soda so much. First of all, I don't think there is any studies that we can take seriously that says an occassional soda will harm anyone and second, if it is the place of the restaurant to stop seeing soda, how about alcohol, should they stop seeing beer, wine and spirits? Coffee isn't always thought to be healthy either. Why not just have the food establishements provide water?

What you choose to drink should be left up to you. People should not depend on fast food as much as they do either, but as long as they do, we will continue to have fast food restaurants.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:32 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,925 times
Red Bull sucks, I'd rather have a beer ....... or a coke! or about anything else on the menu...

Old 02-19-2015, 06:33 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litefoot View Post
Red Bull sucks, I'd rather have a beer ....... or a coke! or about anything else on the menu...
^^^true that! I can't stand those energy "drinks".

Old 02-19-2015, 06:41 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,565 times
Quote:
Every day it seems there is some health issue regarding sodas especially on Yahoo. OK when will restaurants get the message and at the very least cut back on the sale of soda and promote the sale of something else like water, coffee, tea, juice and energy drinks such as Red Bull for example ?? Yes I know that there are "issues" with energy drinks but unlike sodas they are VERY popular right now among the young heck my own doctor told me recently to take up drinking Red Bull instead of diet sodas " for the sake of your health".
Red Bull? That's a good drink if you want to have panic attack all day.

I cannot believe a doctor would tell you that....Pop is a treat for some people and only have it when they go somewhere...just like at a baseball game..I rarely if ever, eat a hot dog at home..but I might have one there..Me? I love my Diet Coke and Diet Vernors..... Red Bull and that Monster make me go into a hyperventilating state and doesn't give me energy..I feel like I am going to freak...no thanks...

Old 02-19-2015, 06:43 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
So....you also want bars to stop selling liquor? Cause thats...you know....unhealthy...

Most restaurants rely upon the healthy markup on soda to make a good return. Each cup costs them like 15 cents and they sell it for like 2 bucks...

Old 02-19-2015, 07:03 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,911 times
OP this is kind of a loaded question..

Old 02-19-2015, 08:14 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Actually I did

No I don't drink energy drinks at all but the reason I had posted this was that today at work I had at least FOUR people ( all young ) asking me to sign a petition demanding that the various restaurants around Denver, Colorado cut back on selling "poison" being soda pop for the sake of good health. Of course all of them had brought up Yahoo News and their stories about that girl in New Zealand who they had claimed had died from Coca-Cola ( so Yahoo claims anyway..I am sure the story is available through Google ) and that man who drank Coke for a month and the results....oh yes..all of them when asking me to sign that petition were drinking a Red Bull.
Denver's restaurants are selling POISON?!? That's OUTRAGEOUS!! People will get KILLED!! Heck yes, I'll sign the petition! And then I'll call our elected officials IMMEDIATELY and DEMAND they put a stop to this RIGHT AWAY!!!

Oh, wait, what? You said "soda"? Oh, sorry, I thought you said "poison." Never mind. I think I'll just let the free market sort this out. Meanwhile, I kind of worked up a thirst with all the shouting, so if you'll excuse me, I'm going to head on over to the Coke machine . . .

Old 02-19-2015, 08:24 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
...today at work I had at least FOUR people ( all young ) asking me to sign a petition demanding that the various restaurants around Denver, Colorado cut back on selling "poison" being soda pop for the sake of good health.
Just shows what the schools are turning out these days.

Quote:
...stories about that girl in New Zealand who they had claimed had died from Coca-Cola
I doubt it. My brother drank 12 Cokes a day during his teens and early 20s. Today, at 66, he doesn't even have diabetes!

Old 02-19-2015, 09:21 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
They'd have to cut back on cakes, pies, cookies, high sodium foods, highly saturated foods. Not something that's gonna happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink