Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 11:23 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
And it doesn't take long at all to grate what you need for a pasta dish using a microplane. And you'll never scrape any knuckles like you might with a box grater once you're down to a little nub of cheese.
This is very true. I find that the box grater works better on softer cheeses but cannot even begin to count the number of times I've scraped my knuckles on that thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 01:19 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,885,809 times
For pizza - gimme that Kraft cheese in the green container - all of it ('chovies love dat stuff).

Old 02-20-2015, 02:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Nothing like freshly grated parmesan. One can use just about any kind of grater, i prefer something like this that costs about $20=
http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-11-222.../dp/B00004T148

Old 02-20-2015, 02:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
For pizza - gimme that Kraft cheese in the green container - all of it ('chovies love dat stuff).
This stuff?
https://skyrisefoods.com/store/pc/ca...20Parmesan.jpg

Old 02-20-2015, 05:23 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Yes there is a huge difference. I strongly prefer the dried cheese like the Kraft grated over freshly grated cheese. The fresh grated has way less flavour. That's why you are asking for so much of it when eating out. I usually buy the store brand or whatever one is on sale. I have tried them all and there is little if any difference between them. My wife and I use a lot of it on our saladThat's expensive enough as it is. Wes and pastas, about 500 grams per week.
Same here. I usually get the large container of Kraft because we go through so much of it. We save our splurges for other types of cheese.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:30 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,334,326 times
I have a little hand-held grater. Make that two. One I got at a yard sale, all metal which I love. Nice little handle. Reminds me of a file. But my guy doesn't like it - says it's too fine. (like me bwahahaha...j/k...*cough* where was I?)

He uses another cheapie that we got in a color coordinated counter set that has spoons, spatulas, etc, in a rotating bucket.

The point is, just grate what you need over soup, salad, pasta.... If I'm doing a recipe and need a cup I lay the cheapie over a paper plate and it works fine. I must say, I'd like just one decent grater.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:32 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,393,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
The fresh grated has way less flavour. That's why you are asking for so much of it when eating out..
Don't you think that has to do with the quality of the cheese? All cheddar cheeses are not equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Same here. I usually get the large container of Kraft because we go through so much of it. We save our splurges for other types of cheese.
I just always feel there is something that they add to the container of cheese to keep it separated.

I graduated too a couple of years ago. I have never eaten a lot of processed food anyways. I am just really staying away from the processed stuff even more now.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:36 AM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Nothing like freshly grated parmesan. One can use just about any kind of grater, i prefer something like this that costs about $20=
http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-11-222.../dp/B00004T148
I had one of those for decades--until it finally broke. I should get another one. It's really easy to use and clean.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:02 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Congratulate me, I have graduated from Kraft grated parmesan cheese! I am almost ready to buy my first real triangle of real parmesan cheese. I know that's pretty sad, considering my age.

Currently, I'm buying the grated parmesan cheese from the deli, you know that kind that looks crunchy? Then when I go somewhere like Olive Garden I envy their fluffy, soft looking freshly grated parmesan. Whenever they tell me to say when, I want to say, hope your arms are strong, you're going to be here a while, ha ha.

As far as graters, right now all I have is one of those standard 4-sided graters. Is that "good enough" for grating real parmesan? Should I buy one of those microplane graters or something else?

Is there a huge difference between what I'm buying now and freshly grated at home?
I always buy parmesan regianno - yeah, the expensive stuff. It just tastes SO much better than the cheaper, imitation stuff. I just grate it with a regular box grater.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:03 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,492,253 times
I find Trader Joe's to have good prices on cheese and nuts. Please no jokes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink