Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 10:53 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I love me some Funyuns.

I know they're wretched (health wise), but I have - really and truly - found perfect bliss inside a bag of those crunchy, salty, greasy, delightful Funyuns.

Just talking about them makes me want some.

Right now.

Be right back.

LOL Kill me now I just ate another marshmallow bunny. John keeps buying them. I keep eating them. Crap I think we're co-dependent now (He's in there cooking fish and kale now from scratch.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 10:55 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Mine is cereal and the more processed and sugar it has the more I adore it and I can go through the biggest box in the market in one day if I do not control myself, then it takes 1.5 days....LOL

Edited to add: The cereal addiction for me is so bad I cannot even walk down the cereal aisle and we do not have cereal in the house. I have also required our distant neighbors to not have cereal in their homes either. (just in case I get a midnight craving)...

MMMMM Cocoa Krispies marshmallow treats.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:20 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
Currently I am not eating desserts such as baked goods, ice cream, cookies, or candy. I have been cooking a lot more at home for many months and if I eat out at a restaurant I have noticed I have really lost a taste for much of their food.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:32 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
"I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself."
LOVE IT!!!!!

Old 03-09-2015, 11:49 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Trying to cut down on foods that contain HFCS, salt intake I try to cut down on that. I cut out regular and diet soda 3 years ago. Other than that I eat everything else in moderation.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:01 PM

226 posts, read 369,069 times
My husband and I have been trying for a few weeks to really cut back on meat, processed foods, sugars, and pasta. We both have pounds to lose.
We've cut out sodas and sweet teas almost completely, cut out fast foods mostly (maybe 1x per week we get take out now), and are buying less pastas, convenience foods, and meats, and sweets.
We figure moderation is the key. If we go out to eat or get take out, or pick up lunch every now and then it is okay...plus trying to eat healthier when we do go out (get veggies instead of mashed potatoes, that kind of thing). No soda is in the house now. We've been eating a lot of beans, rice, quinoa, veggies, fruits, that kind of thing.
I read somewhere 'Eat real food, mostly plants, not too much' and thought that was a good saying to try and go by.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:02 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
my dr. would like to have my bloodwork results,,,im on no medication..

food is an enjoyment in life,,,and im going to enjoy,,,the more I hear "what I shouldn't be eating" I enjoy it even more
(it changes every 10 yrs anyway)

i don't drink much... don't smoke, cut down on the prostitutes,,,,

ive got to have some enjoyment in life,,,and that's food

from steak to ice cream, i will indulge
^^^ I mostly agree with this. Every time I see the word "bad" attached to food, or see a list that starts out "NEVER EAT THIS ...", I cringe -- I mean, seriously, NEVER? I can't think of any food that I absolutely should NEVER eat in my life. (I might not WANT to eat it, but I wouldn't "forbid" it.)

I did make a New Year's resolution to eat more fresh veggies (before that my typical veggie with many dinners was canned corn -- no sugar added, but still!). That resolution is going VERY well, as I have found that I LOVE many fresh veggies (asparagus, green beans, green & red & yellow & orange bell peppers, zucchini, onions, carrots, leeks which I just tried for the first time EVER a couple of weeks ago, cauliflower, mushrooms, and on and on!). I had tried canned versions of some of those and hated them (the only canned veggie I can stand these days is corn). If I don't like how something tastes, I'm not going to eat it, no matter how "good" it's supposed to be for me.

I also am eating a bit less meat/poultry -- e.g., my dinner plate in the past might have been half meat, half veggies, but now it's much more likely to be 1/3 meat and 2/3 veggies or even 1/4 and 3/4. I do enjoy eating meat, though, so I don't ever see myself becoming a vegetarian.

I also am trying more different spices on foods -- some work well, some not so well! Just trying to be a bit more adventurous.

There ARE certain foods that I have an extremely hard time eating in moderation (like donuts!! you know, those little powdered sugar and powdered cinnamon ones ... yum yum yum), so I usually keep them out of the house, but every couple of months I give in and buy a couple of boxes. They're gone in a few days, and I don't think about them much until another couple of months go by.

When I eat out at a restaurant, which is maybe once a month (I'm much more likely to have friends over or go to their house), I don't think about calories or fat, because I just don't go to restaurants very much. (And usually the portions are large enough for 2 meals.)

Still love ice cream, still love chocolate, still love some cookies & muffins (but mostly the fat-free or reduced-fat kind), still love some alcoholic drinks (watermelon margaritas, anyone? ). To me food is something to be enjoyed (alone or with friends and family) as well as nutrition for my body. I remember seeing a study many years ago that suggested that very-low-calorie diets (as I recall, well under 1,000 calories/day) might help one live longer, but that doesn't sound like much fun.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:39 PM

126,280 posts, read 19,053,589 times
For us eating in moderation is the key,knowing making a solid commitment may not work all the time. One thing that DH and I have committed to since almost 20 year is not to touch cold cuts and any processed food. Also we eat mostly lentils,legumes,plenty of raw or steamed vegetables,at times poultry and an assortment of fish. Our salt/sugar use has been also reduced and we drink daily our 6 cups of green tea. When we have family/friends/guests over yes I do cook meat dishes than and it does become a treat for us. We are so tired to hear the do's and don'ts,we just follow common sense and try to enjoy life. One thing that helps us to overcome certain food desires like salty or sweet snacks is not to have them in our home,unless I am willing to bake or make kale chips or my own salty nuts or trail mix. Sigh.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink