Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 12:24 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,383,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
No meat in heaven, but SDA's originally had other reasons for rejecting meat. To quote a sample of one of Ellen White's (Prophetess of the SDA Church) writings from Counsels on Diet and Foods:

"Meat should not be placed before our children. Its influence is to excite and strengthen the lower passions, and has a tendency to deaden the moral powers. Grains and fruits prepared free from grease, and in as natural a condition as possible, should be the food for the tables of all who claim to be preparing for translation to heaven." (pp. 63-64)

It doesn't take a Sherlock to figure out what she meant by "lower passions".

DH grew up with this stuff.
Yes, it reads weirdly, but one should consider the general health of the SDA community before writing vegetarianism off as quackery. They are a long-lived bunch.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:58 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,358,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Yes, it reads weirdly, but one should consider the general health of the SDA community before writing vegetarianism off as quackery. They are a long-lived bunch.

The fact that they also don't drink alcohol or caffeinated beverages and don't smoke may have something to do with that longevity. And the fact that they don't eat meat doesn't mean they don't love their starchy carbs, desserts and cheese...ever been to an SDA potluck? Lots of vegetarian casseroles of cut up Worthington veggie meat smothered in mushroom soup and cheese (at least the few I've been to). It isn't always what you'd consider healthy, just because it doesn't have meat in it.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 03-24-2015 at 01:09 PM..

Old 03-24-2015, 01:26 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,383,742 times
You make a good about contributing factors. The social support of an active faith community might also have something to do with it. I have good friends who are SDA. Their diet is heavy on whole grains & vegetables and relatively low in dairy. They are also very physically active. I would not suggest to anyone that a diet made up of rich, cheesy casseroles would lead to longevity, any more than I would suggest that a diet of hamburgers would do so. Full disclosure: I eat a 95% vegetarian diet similar to my friends, so I'm pretty much always going to side with the veggies.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:34 PM

5,849 posts, read 4,184,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
The fact that they also don't drink alcohol or caffeinated beverages and don't smoke may have something to do with that longevity. And the fact that they don't eat meat doesn't mean they don't love their starchy carbs, desserts and cheese...ever been to an SDA potluck? Lots of vegetarian casseroles of cut up Worthington veggie meat smothered in mushroom soup and cheese (at least the few I've been to). It isn't always what you'd consider healthy, just because it doesn't have meat in it.
This is true, but multiple studies have demonstrated that vegetarians and vegans do in fact have longer lifespans. Depending on the study, the extend is between two and six years.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:06 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,860,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree
I was at the store when I overheard a male shopper tell his female friend/wife? to put down the tofu as he didn't want to be eating female hormones and turning girly.
I dont eat it...... The last time i heard the word TOFU mentioned was on the movie BUT IM A CHEERLEADER!! (The girl liked TOFU and the parents got concerned cause she liked girls and not guys)

Old 03-24-2015, 03:07 PM

5,849 posts, read 4,184,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I dont eat it...... The last time i heard the word TOFU mentioned was on the movie BUT IM A CHEERLEADER!! (The girl liked TOFU and the parents got concerned cause she liked girls and not guys)
That is literally the last time you heard the word "tofu"?

Old 04-28-2015, 06:50 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,848,357 times
Default Does tofu or soy cause any adverse problems?

We are not male, but a friend of mine has inflammation near her colon, that was not there 5 years ago. The only change of habit, is the consumption of tofu and other soy products. Anyone else ever had that problem?

Seems like moderation in foods and drinks is a big key for health; IMO.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:27 AM

26,431 posts, read 46,625,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
We are not male, but a friend of mine has inflammation near her colon, that was not there 5 years ago. The only change of habit, is the consumption of tofu and other soy products. Anyone else ever had that problem?

Seems like moderation in foods and drinks is a big key for health; IMO.
Modern soy is genetically modified, has been since at least the mid 1990s. FDA, EPA, etc let them modify the crops and public hardly knew a thing about it. I certainly don't consume it and I have allergies and sensitivities to other foods as well. In the past I had no issues at all.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:18 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,768,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Modern soy is genetically modified, has been since at least the mid 1990s. FDA, EPA, etc let them modify the crops and public hardly knew a thing about it. I certainly don't consume it and I have allergies and sensitivities to other foods as well. In the past I had no issues at all.
I buy the non-GMO soy that is also organic. Tofu is on today's menu.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:50 PM

128 posts, read 242,643 times
It does seem a decent thing to eat in moderation. There are a good number of people with food allergies to soy, but I have not had an issue. I have tried to cut down on wheat consumption so I sometimes do add some soy products such as the morning star line of products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink