Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 12:16 PM

19,777 posts, read 22,673,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybaloneytoys View Post
My wife is from Japan. Before her my thought of tofu went back to the 70's when someone thought it would be cool to make tofu hotdogs. Grossist crap ever! Yet, after I married her my outlook on tofu changed. I eat it when she makes if it's not in Miso soup, but when other foods like Mabo dofoo (probably not correct spelling), I love it!

As far as myths go, well that what they are: myths. BTW, my wife thought the idea of eating tofu hotdogs was gross too.
You hit the nail on the head with regards to my opinion. I have found that those types of dishes you mentioned are generally great with tofu. The other times I've tried tofu when 'substituted' for another main ingredient- not so good.

Take some of the early vegetarian burgers. We bought several kinds and generally thought they were pretty bad. Boca comes to mind. My wife makes an awesome zucchini fritter with finely chopped carrots, zuchs and spices. Lightly fried in olive oil they're fantastic on a bun.

Maybe it's my taste buds. I'm generally not fond of any pre-prepared/processed foods and enjoy freshly prepared. However that homemade tofu cheesecake- I still shudder at the horror...

Old 03-19-2015, 12:23 PM

216 posts, read 314,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
You hit the nail on the head with regards to my opinion. I have found that those types of dishes you mentioned are generally great with tofu. The other times I've tried tofu when 'substituted' for another main ingredient- not so good.
You're 100% right about the substitution thing. Tofu suffers from a marketing problem in the USA. When it first started showing up here, the food industry marketed it as a health food. Americans (read: White people) started trying to sneak it into traditional foods or using it as a meat replacement. When you have a whole generation who suffered tofu as a ricotta replacement in lasagna, or had to choke down tofurkey at Thanksgiving, or got lectured on its virtues by smelly vegan hippies, it's no wonder they'll believe any ridiculous reason not to eat it, like this supposed testosterone reduction thing.

Tofu isn’t a specialty health food in Asian cuisines, it's a staple that comes in hundreds of flavors and textures. Saying you don’t like tofu as a whole is kind of like saying you don’t like drinking beverages: a meaningless statement because the category is so wide. I'm a guy and I eat it 2-3 times a week.

Last edited by eating while walking; 03-19-2015 at 12:32 PM..

Old 03-19-2015, 12:40 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
I am a male and I don't eat much soy but it's not because I fear becoming "girlie." I do eat leaner meats though. I even eat turkey for bologna, hamburgers and hot dogs rather than beef.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Now that is something we can agree on! I loathe any kind of meat-analog type, and Boca is the worst of all. I usually make my own, but the store-bought varieties that are good are the ones that aren't pretending to be meat; they're straight up veggies, beans/legumes, and grains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Y
Take some of the early vegetarian burgers. We bought several kinds and generally thought they were pretty bad. Boca comes to mind. My wife makes an awesome zucchini fritter with finely chopped carrots, zuchs and spices. Lightly fried in olive oil they're fantastic on a bun.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:05 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
I like some meat analogs. I'm particularly fond of Quorn crumbles. Yes, I know about the GI complaints, but my family eats it without any issues. It's a great addition to our favorite three-bean chili, which originally called for ground turkey, and I suspect it would similarly do well for taco filling. That's my experiment for this weekend. As for soy, I'm not fond of soy milk, but I like tofu in all sorts of applications, even "hidden" in chocolate mousse.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:12 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Now that is something we can agree on! I loathe any kind of meat-analog type, and Boca is the worst of all. I usually make my own, but the store-bought varieties that are good are the ones that aren't pretending to be meat; they're straight up veggies, beans/legumes, and grains.
I agree. I don't like faux food items for the most part. I rather it be on it's own. Only really "faux" items I like are gardenburger (grillers), but I don't see them as subbing for hamburgers. I see them as another item I like to eat.

But I don't mind tofu replacing something not vegan friendly in a recipe such as mousse or smoothies. I have had them and I couldn't tell they had tofu in it. (but it was clearly labeled having tofu)

Old 03-19-2015, 02:38 PM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post

If you are male, do you eat soy without a second thought? Or limit it? I am of course not talking about taste, GMOs etc. Just on the "estrogen" factor.
LOL I never heard of the "estrogen factor" regarding soy products!

I use soy sauce on Chinese food and with certain other foods. Does that count?

Tofu as a food is "culturally estrogen-laden" if not scientifically so.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:41 PM

19,777 posts, read 22,673,762 times
McDonald’s new tofu nugget definitely isn’t made from pink chicken goo - Geek
I knew it, lol.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:46 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,218,598 times
Tofu in the US is made with gmo soybeans and is a highly processed food.

I suppose you would have to go to Asia or buy a high priced specialty brand here to get the good homemade and healthy fermented stuff that actually has some nutritional benefits.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:51 PM

63 posts, read 67,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I was at the store when I overheard a male shopper tell his female friend/wife? to put down the tofu as he didn't want to be eating female hormones and turning girly.

I did a little googling and came across it being a "myth" or you would have to consume HUGE quantities etc.

If you are male, do you eat soy without a second thought? Or limit it? I am of course not talking about taste, GMOs etc. Just on the "estrogen" factor.
My hubby don't eat, he don't even want to drink/try to soymilk I bought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink