Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 01:11 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I like Michael Simon on The Chew ...
I do too. He really presents dishes that are manageable for the home cook, but still feel "elevated." And he makes it seem fun, which is helpful for me. I'm not much of a cook, and want to cook more, but I tend to stress myself out worrying about doing everything right. He makes it easy and stress-free.

Clinton is good at that too. He's not a chef, but he shares dishes that he's made that have turned out well. I kind of like that he doesn't have a culinary background. And everything he makes will have an accompanying cocktail. Usually containing gin.

Mario bugs me because he assumes we all want to know the history of every type of pasta, or want a language lesson ... I don't care what region of Italy that particular olive is from. Just freaking cook already! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 07:54 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Cooking shows drive me up the wall. I'm not a big TV watcher anyway but my guy loves those cooking shows!

Old 03-18-2015, 08:06 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times
I haven't seen a single cooking show in years. I can think of many better things to do with a couple hours than watch a video of people preparing food.

I do agree that people should cook more and watch less tv, though.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:23 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
In my family the people who watch the cooking shows are the people who do the least cooking.

When my niece (who is now a mother herself) was a tiny child she was in love with the Frugal Gourmet. She knew when it was on and how to tape it on the video recorder. But she didn't have any idea what "frugal" means. She called him The Frumal Gourmet. The second person to get into cooking shows was my dad, whose idea of cooking was opening a can of soup at most. He didn't even make eggs. But he watched Frumal with his granddaughter and then came to love some other TV cooks. Yan Can Cook was his favorite program. Did I say he never ate Chinese food in his life? He was definitely one of the old school brown-green-and-white-must-be-separated-on-a-plate kind of guys. Go figure.

Now that my mother is nearing 90 she has completely given up cooking. In favor of watching cooking shows all day. She likes the competition programs such as Chopped, Iron Chef, etc., etc. She watches reruns of Top Chef I know she's seen a dozen times. The weird part? She's a very picky eater and wouldn't go near 99.9% of the things they prepare on those programs. When they unveil the secret ingredient on Iron Chef she invariably screams, "Ewww. Who would eat that?" I've given up replying, "So why are you going to watch?"

As for the people-get-fat watching-cooking-shows part of this article, why not people like cooking shows because they like to eat and maybe that's why they're fat. I seriously doubt most of Paula Deen's fans got fat after they started watching her show. They already loved butter ... that's why they like her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
... who has truffle oil in their kitchen? Not everyone is a multi millionaire living in The Hamptons or married to a millionaire rancher in Oklahoma.
I'm about as far from millionaire status as one could be and still be solvent, yet I own truffle oil. I buy truffle pate sometimes, too, when I can find it. It's delicious! A very special treat. I'm now experimenting with red palm oil after discovering it at Trader Joe's. It's supposed to be really healthy. I also have a lot of different kinds of salts and vinegars, I grow my own herbs, and I make my own infused oils. I rarely eat out anymore. Most of the time when I do I think, "I make better stuff than this at home," so I don't see the value.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:23 AM

3,799 posts, read 2,698,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I haven't seen a single cooking show in years. I can think of many better things to do with a couple hours than watch a video of people preparing food.

I do agree that people should cook more and watch less tv, though.
For me it has been about 3 years since I have watched a cooking show on tv. One thing I have done is search for a particular cooking technique on youtube (e.g. Jacque Pepin making a French omelette), to add a technique to my arsenal. I don't have Food Network and I'm a bit turned off by all the gimmicky stuff there, but I do think the PBS stable of shows are worth watching, e.g. America's Test Kitchen.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:09 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
For me it has been about 3 years since I have watched a cooking show on tv. One thing I have done is search for a particular cooking technique on youtube (e.g. Jacque Pepin making a French omelette), to add a technique to my arsenal. I don't have Food Network and I'm a bit turned off by all the gimmicky stuff there, but I do think the PBS stable of shows are worth watching, e.g. America's Test Kitchen.
This is a good point. It seems there is a big difference between current food tv and what used to be the common type of cooking show. In the past, cooking shows were clearly targeted toward people who would do actual cooking. More emphasis was placed on the technique and preparation. Now, the shows are geared toward drama and decidedly less-oriented toward an actual cook in the audience.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:20 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
These so called cooking shows on now are more for the drama than actual cooking. And who has truffle oil in their kitchen? Not everyone is a multi millionaire living in The Hamptons or married to a millionaire rancher in Oklahoma.
Truffle oil is not that expensive....it doesn't take a millionaire to have it. I wish it did because I have a small bottle in my pantry. Great to use when making omelets.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:26 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I like Michael Simon on The Chew
He's the guy with the adorable giggle, right?

Old 03-19-2015, 12:48 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,764,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
He's the guy with the adorable giggle, right?
Yep. And I thought that I was the only one.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:45 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Had an avocado to do away the hunger pangs when I woke up, now cooking a small bean, lentils, brown rice, split green pea, fish stew for breakfast. Between being on the tail end, I hope!, of this mucus thing and needing to eat, it's something to be going while I work on moving.

I don't keep much in neither munchies nor ready meals around the house; if I wasn't taking care of my throat right now, I might have made a salad instead.

But as I said, I do need to eat, so I pull out a pot and start cooking from the ready things around the kitchen. It isn't imaginative nor necessarily relaxing all the time but then again, I guess it is, just on a sliding scale. It pleases me that I am like this.

So there may be more to it than what the study, if quite flawed, says...............those darn confounding variables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink