Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 01:29 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times

Advertisements

I cannot seem to get that infused garlic flavor into my mashed potatoes like restaurants do. Last time I made them I boiled the potatoes with a few peeled cloves of garlic added, then mashed them together with milk and butter. It had a slight garlic flavor but not the way my SIL and MIL make it. I have used garlic powder and it's ok but not great. Any suggestions? Maybe sautéing the garlic in EVOO and then adding it to the potatoes before I mash them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 01:34 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
I made my own garlic oil for a white pizza I made at home a couple of weeks ago. It had a nice garlic taste to it.

Garlic Oil Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network

Do you have granulated garlic too?

Old 03-18-2015, 01:45 PM

4,694 posts, read 3,475,013 times
I make it the same way as you, just throwing in cloves. My husband makes garlic mashed by roasting the garlic in the oven. He then adds the roasted garlic when he adds the cream and butter. I admit it, his version is way better then mine.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I made my own garlic oil for a white pizza I made at home a couple of weeks ago. It had a nice garlic taste to it.

Garlic Oil Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network

Do you have granulated garlic too?
Garlic powder I have, but I do have frozen garlic. It's the kind that looks like little ice cube trays. I use that a lot and it has a nice garlic flavor. I cooked 3 cloves of fresh garlic with the potatoes, mashed them then added 2 cubes of the frozen garlic, cream , butter and dill. I tasted it and it's a lot better. Thanks for the garlic oil. I will try that next time.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I make it the same way as you, just throwing in cloves. My husband makes garlic mashed by roasting the garlic in the oven. He then adds the roasted garlic when he adds the cream and butter. I admit it, his version is way better then mine.
Roasted why didn't I think of that? I'll try that another time too. Thanks

Old 03-18-2015, 01:49 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Don't cook the garlic fully or you'll lose the aromatics. Put the minced raw garlic in the milk/cream and warm it to a simmer before adding it to your cooked potatoes. One of my favorite restaurant garlic mashed potatoes is prepared this way.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Don't cook the garlic fully or you'll lose the aromatics. Put the minced raw garlic in the milk/cream and warm it to a simmer before adding it to your cooked potatoes. One of my favorite restaurant garlic mashed potatoes is prepared this way.
Thanks, another great suggestion. Will try all three when I am making mashed potatoes.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:02 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
My husband makes garlic mashed by roasting the garlic in the oven. He then adds the roasted garlic when he adds the cream and butter.
This is the way to do it.

If you boil the garlic in the water you're losing most of the garlic flavor when you dump the water. How much you roast the garlic is a matter of personal preference, but I like to roast it enough that it can be mashed into a paste. That makes it much easier to incorporate into the cream and butter.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:14 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I cannot seem to get that infused garlic flavor into my mashed potatoes like restaurants do. Last time I made them I boiled the potatoes with a few peeled cloves of garlic added, then mashed them together with milk and butter. It had a slight garlic flavor but not the way my SIL and MIL make it. I have used garlic powder and it's ok but not great. Any suggestions? Maybe sautéing the garlic in EVOO and then adding it to the potatoes before I mash them?
I roast the garlic, too, lubby. It adds a lot more flavor and mixes well because roasting really softens it--like butter.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:21 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
Take the garlic out before mashing them.
Works for just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink