Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 10:29 AM

19,775 posts, read 22,673,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Many restaurants plate and price their appetizers 'to share', not expecting you to eat them all yourself.
This one did not state that but I asked- the server said "it wasn't a large amount"

Old 03-20-2015, 10:31 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I think restaurants have figured out that non-repeat customers are more likely to be diverted by too-small portions than soso-quality food. As every American knows, there is no competition in the marketplace -- everything is uniformly the archetype that proves to be the most economical, and uniformity of advertising persuades every consumer to demand exactly that.. If the market paradigm is that large portions work, the industry is lock-stepped into large portions, and no corporate food chain dares to deviate.

By the way, fast-food presentation seems to be just the opposite of what the OP described. A burger, on the menu picture, looks so high it will tip over. But when you get the burger, you have to lift the top of the bun off to see if they actually put anything inside or not.

It is very common in some countries, like Brazil, for restaurants to proffer food by weight. It is buffet style, when your plate is full, they weigh it, and charge by the gram. That's for the sides, with the meat portion being calculated at a standard rate for a uniform portion..

Old 03-20-2015, 10:35 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
No, that wouldn't offend me. But I would ask for a doggie bag.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:48 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I am totally cool with being able to make another meal (or more) out of a restaurant meal. Providing quality is decent, I'd prefer to get more food for my $$$ than less, and if I liked it, I'm going to eat it as leftovers, versus waste it. But I really enjoy leftovers. If I were an anti-leftover person, I'd probably avoid restaurants with generous portion sizes. As it is, I enjoy getting more bang for my buck. One of my top reasons for not returning to a restaurant is if I feel portion sizes are small for the price. I don't, as a rule, purchase appetizers, and I don't want an appetizer-sized entrée at an entrée price point.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:09 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
This one did not state that but I asked- the server said "it wasn't a large amount"
I don't think I've ever seen a menu say that the appetizers are enough to share, its just something that most people know based on the type of restaurant and the price of the appetizer. Most appetizers are portioned with a table of four in mind.

The server is pressured to have a high check average, so they're going to say what you want to hear. They're there to sell you food.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:14 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,707 times
Americans basically want a lot of food for the lowest price. Quantity trumps quality. If you go to Yelp or any other online restaurant review site, if a rating is low, the review is complaining about "too small portions" 90% of the time.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:21 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Even at my neighborhood taco place I can usually make three meals from what is served. Why would anyone be offended? I say, count your blessings and if "to-go" boxes offend you, don't return.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:23 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a menu say that the appetizers are enough to share, its just something that most people know based on the type of restaurant and the price of the appetizer. Most appetizers are portioned with a table of four in mind.

The server is pressured to have a high check average, so they're going to say what you want to hear. They're there to sell you food.
I order primarily from the appetizer menu and it's often enough to share for 2 people easily. I often order a few to share with the table and take my "portion".

Now I have seen where you can ask for it as a side dish. If you wanted fried green tomatoes and asked, they would probably be able to give you a few slices.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:24 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
That doesn't mean quantity trumps quality. If the food's not good, I'm not going to return regardless of how generous the portioning is. I don't want leftovers of food that wasn't good the first time around.

My experience on yelp is that low ratings most often correlate with service-related complaints (particularly slow service and bad attitudes) and cleanliness issues, less often with food portioning. But maybe that's just here.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:32 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,327 times
I wouldn't be offended, just disappointed that anyone could eat that amount of crap and how much of it would be wasted. Seriously, its always the cheap food that's piled high like pancakes, heaps of toast, french fries, pasta, etc. Not dishes with meat or fresh fruit and vegetables.

Normally we eat during happy hour or at restaurants that serve small plates (tapas). We start out with a fair number, knowing we can order more if we need to. Over the last year we've "to-go" boxes less than a dozen times and all are things we ate the next day (like half of a burger).

When food is piled high, its a red flag that businesses are overcompensating for other issues like quality, service, and cleanliness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink