Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 09:21 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Marmite is very sticky in texture. I don't really see how it could be spread on bread that's not been toasted, first, without ripping it up. At least I've never had luck with that. Or maybe I just use very fluffy, soft bread.
I mix it with butter if I need to spread it on untoasted bread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 10:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post

Please tell me you're talking in stews and not on hot buttered toast.
Yep use Oyster sauce just like i would use Marmite on sandwiches but due to its extreme high salt content its only a 2-3 time a year event,most of the time i just use a little bit in a stir fry sauce..Heres the one i use=
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ored_Sauce.jpg

Old 05-27-2015, 10:30 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
I love Marmite on hot buttered toast. Umami extraordinaire...

Old 05-27-2015, 11:49 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
^^ I'll agree with that! Marmite on toast is the only thing I ever have on toast...

I have tried vegemite and it just was not the same, though.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:23 PM

4 posts, read 4,225 times
I like it, but I grew up with it (Australian parents living in the US).

Every friend I've ever given it to has hated it, even in tiny amounts.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
What's weird about Marmite is that the Brits I know (BIL, SIL, friends of theirs) hate it, and think it's funny that i love it, and send me jars of it and snacks, like Twiglets, flavored with it. And I'm as American is it gets.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:43 PM

171 posts, read 197,057 times
i love vegemite on toast

Old 05-27-2015, 06:51 PM

511 posts, read 508,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent hypnotist View Post
Vegemite is an Australian wheat extract thread. Its taste is unique, often described as a cross between soy sauce and beef stock. I am the only person in my family who likes it. My dad calls it axle grease. Other people say that Vegemite is so gross that even a car doesn't deserve such a fate.

How to get the best from Vegemite. I am a highly experienced Vegemite veteran who began my Vegemite journey aged 3.

1. Get some bread slices
2. put the bread slices on a sandwich maker/toastie maker.
3. Add your preferred cheese onto the top of the bread.
4. Spread a little bit of Vegemite onto the inside of the bread. I mean a little bit.
5. Switch on Toastie maker/sandwich maker.
6. You will produce cheese and Vegemite toasties!! The Vegemite will have marbled with the cheese and produce a warm, marbled combo! Mmmm!

DO NOT eat spponfuls of Vegemite from the jar. I don't have it that way. The only people who do that are Aussie 3 year olds.

I have watched Youtube videos. Most people find Vegemite so bad that as a tool of interrogation it would make them confess to anything. No more waterboarding!! A Japanese woman liked it and said that it is like the Japanese "fifth flavour".

Vegemite is very, very salty. It competes with salty peanuts for that title.

Enjoy. Or not. .
I never knew it was a real thing, but just part of a Men At Work song

Old 05-27-2015, 07:37 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,622 times
Iv never tried it, hubby has and didnt like it either.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:25 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent hypnotist View Post
Vegemite is an Australian wheat extract thread. Its taste is unique, often described as a cross between soy sauce and beef stock. I am the only person in my family who likes it. My dad calls it axle grease. Other people say that Vegemite is so gross that even a car doesn't deserve such a fate.

How to get the best from Vegemite. I am a highly experienced Vegemite veteran who began my Vegemite journey aged 3.

1. Get some bread slices
2. put the bread slices on a sandwich maker/toastie maker.
3. Add your preferred cheese onto the top of the bread.
4. Spread a little bit of Vegemite onto the inside of the bread. I mean a little bit.
5. Switch on Toastie maker/sandwich maker.
6. You will produce cheese and Vegemite toasties!! The Vegemite will have marbled with the cheese and produce a warm, marbled combo! Mmmm!

DO NOT eat spponfuls of Vegemite from the jar. I don't have it that way. The only people who do that are Aussie 3 year olds.

I have watched Youtube videos. Most people find Vegemite so bad that as a tool of interrogation it would make them confess to anything. No more waterboarding!! A Japanese woman liked it and said that it is like the Japanese "fifth flavour".

Vegemite is very, very salty. It competes with salty peanuts for that title.

Enjoy. Or not. .
Isn't Vegamite a yeast extract leftover from brewing with spices to stir the taste towards beef...

Anywho, I love Vegamite...Never had Marmite..... But I can eat me some vegamite....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink