Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 04:16 PM

4,696 posts, read 3,514,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Though you'll get no argument from me that Sheetz is great (as is its eastern Pennsylvania competitor, Wawa), it is a convenience store, not a restaurant chain.
I understand its a convenience store but I think the whole MTO thingy moves it into the realm of say how Subway is in gas stations or as in one close to me a liquor store or as we call it a packie.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:23 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,840,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
Went to a real dive once..the springs were boinging out of the naugahyde booth....great time...had to be careful where you sat!!!
Forgot to tell you it was called GASOLINE ALLEY. ..HOW appropo.....

Old 05-30-2015, 07:38 PM

5,652 posts, read 7,019,844 times
Anthony's Coal Fired. It would bring decent pizza to places that are currently pizza deserts.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:48 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,908,269 times
Moe's would be a good one to have nearby - or at least one in every major shopping district. So if I end up living on a mountain as a hermit all by myself some day, I'd still be able to drive down to the nearest shopping mall and find a Moe's.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,603 times
Biggby's!

One thing I will miss about Michigan. Biggby's coffee.

Now, I am moving to Georgia, and the closest one is in South Carolina.

On the other hand, there will be very little snow in Augusta.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:43 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,868,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You know how I feel about I&O. And we do not do chains very often either. We are pretty much stay at home eaters unless we are out for the day or traveling. Even then we prefer local mom and pop places.
Yeah baby In my best Austin Powers voice.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:31 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,258,038 times
Aladdin Middle Eastern food is very good.

However, when I visit a new place, I like to try a local restaurant.

Does anyone remember dinners? They are still around on the East Coast. All kinds of food to satisfy everyone in the family. Breakfast served all the time.
What I hate is that chains and fast food have put so many of the mom and pop diners, and other restaurants out of business.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:06 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,273,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Aladdin Middle Eastern food is very good.

However, when I visit a new place, I like to try a local restaurant.

Does anyone remember diners? They are still around on the East Coast. All kinds of food to satisfy everyone in the family. Breakfast served all the time.

What I hate is that chains and fast food have put so many of the mom and pop diners, and other restaurants out of business.
Diners are still pretty common in eastern Pennsylvania and New Jersey in particular and less common but still around within 200 miles or so of that core area. (Interestingly, one of my professors in graduate school who was originally from the south Jersey suburbs in the Philadelphia area wrote a book about diners about 15 years ago. Also, as someone from eastern PA, having diners around was common to me as a youth; one example I'm familiar with is the Gap Diner in Wind Gap, PA.) A lot of them are in pre-fabricated, rail car-like buildings.

Here in the DC area there are still a few diners and small diner chains. They include:

*Tastee Diner - has been around (or at least the original diner in Silver Spring has been around) for 80 years. It is a solid "greasy spoon" with fairly good and cheap food that I like to go to every so often.

*Silver Diner - this is a retro diner chain (according to their website, founded in 1989) rather than an authentic, original diner. I've never eaten there but there are some locations in the DC area.

*Ollie's Trolley - located in downtown DC not far north of the National Mall (in particular fairly close to the Museum of Natural History), this is a nice, humble, throwback-type restaurant in a city that increasingly caters to high-end, swankier tastes (the latter of which is fine from time to time but not all the time IMO).

One other, somewhat higher end place in the DC area that has some diner-like qualities is a small chain called Ted's Bulletin, which has a full menu but specializes in breakfast food.

Of the places I mentioned above, probably only the Tastee Diner is a true diner.

It should be noted that some restaurant chains, particularly Denny's, Waffle House, and Johnny Rockets, have strongly modeled themselves after old-school diners, so many people in many locations have eaten in restaurants that have diner-like qualities (though they aren't in pre-fabricated buildings like many "true" diners).

Last edited by CHIP72; 05-31-2015 at 12:18 AM..

Old 05-31-2015, 04:56 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,461,914 times
Default Cousins Subs

I wish Cousins was in California. I love their cheese steak.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:15 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,245,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Diners are still pretty common in eastern Pennsylvania and New Jersey in particular and less common but still around within 200 miles or so of that core area. (Interestingly, one of my professors in graduate school who was originally from the south Jersey suburbs in the Philadelphia area wrote a book about diners about 15 years ago. Also, as someone from eastern PA, having diners around was common to me as a youth; one example I'm familiar with is the Gap Diner in Wind Gap, PA.) A lot of them are in pre-fabricated, rail car-like buildings.

Here in the DC area there are still a few diners and small diner chains. They include:

*Tastee Diner - has been around (or at least the original diner in Silver Spring has been around) for 80 years. It is a solid "greasy spoon" with fairly good and cheap food that I like to go to every so often.

*Silver Diner - this is a retro diner chain (according to their website, founded in 1989) rather than an authentic, original diner. I've never eaten there but there are some locations in the DC area.

*Ollie's Trolley - located in downtown DC not far north of the National Mall (in particular fairly close to the Museum of Natural History), this is a nice, humble, throwback-type restaurant in a city that increasingly caters to high-end, swankier tastes (the latter of which is fine from time to time but not all the time IMO).

One other, somewhat higher end place in the DC area that has some diner-like qualities is a small chain called Ted's Bulletin, which has a full menu but specializes in breakfast food.

Of the places I mentioned above, probably only the Tastee Diner is a true diner.

It should be noted that some restaurant chains, particularly Denny's, Waffle House, and Johnny Rockets, have strongly modeled themselves after old-school diners, so many people in many locations have eaten in restaurants that have diner-like qualities (though they aren't in pre-fabricated buildings like many "true" diners).
When we lived on the east coast, one of the things that we loved about traveling from the DC area up through PA, NJ, etc was all the diners. I don't care whether they were chains or mom and pop, we just loved them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink