Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you add Englush peas to guacamole?
Yes 10 10.64%
No 84 89.36%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 10:47 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,674 times

Advertisements

Green peas in guacamole is about as Texan as a book on common courtesies published, not in Texas, but also published by the New York Times.

Some things should be left to the pros and not the pretenders.

I live in San Antonio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 11:36 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The problem in Chicago AND OTHER LARGE CITIES is that there are Mexicans from a variety of Mexican states that are all used to THEIR style of Mexican cooking. Serve Veracruz cuisine to a Sonoran family and they will not be satisfied,

I have had one friend on a Chicago food forum identify at least 12 different Mexican cuisines - all in Chicago.
Exactly. I love eating Mex in Chicago. I favor south/central/coastal Mexican to northern Mexican, but seems 98% of US Mexican restaurants only/mostly serve northern Mex or TexMex.

That said, living in Pittsburgh, it's hard to find an avocado ready for use same day. Usually have to plan a couple days ahead. Most are either rock hard in the supermarket or already mushy. Not to mention generally $1.50-$2.00 per.

Oh, and just for clarity, I'll add I lived in Mexico City for a year. There, Mexican food is just, well... "food". But more southern influence than northern, thankfully.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:51 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
When I went vegan-ish, any oil and avocado was off limits. (it wasn't true vegan but it really ended up being mostly vegan)
ANYWAY there was a great recipe using tofu, and two different types of beans - lima and green I think, along with a dollop of salsa and it was amazing. Hard to tell it wasn't avocado, believe it or not! And I'm sure lots of you don't believe it. So yep, I'd be willing to toss a pea or two in there!

I do love avocado.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Green peas in guacamole is about as Texan as a book on common courtesies published, not in Texas, but also published by the New York Times.

Some things should be left to the pros and not the pretenders.

I live in San Antonio
lived in Texas for 13 years, as well as NM and So.Ca.never heard of peas in Guacamole. Well, not until the article in the L.A. Times a few days ago. I think that may have started this debate, but regardless, if someone wants to put peas in the avocado dip, go ahead, it isn't Mexican though, that is for sure.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:28 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
I've never been to Chicago but I've had several friends and acquaintances who were first or second generation Mexican-Americans over the years that were from there, and from what they told me, "Just Julia" is dead wrong. Chicago's Mexican food is supposedly top notch, the real deal. Every bit as good as you'll find in California, Texas, and the Southwest.

Also, no thanks on the guac with peas. Avocados, a little salt, garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice...hand mashed with a fork for me please.
On topic, no I personally do not put peas in my homemade guacamole, but, respectfully, to each their own.

This is the truth of the matter (and of course all due respect to anyone who thinks otherwise) I promise you Chicago has more than enough Mexican (as well as South American; Argentina, Colombia, Brazil, Puerto Rico), eateries to please anyone and everyone from fine dining Mexican and regional Mexican cuisine to hole-in-the-wall Mexican "fast food" (NOT to be confused with Taco Bell), mom & pop eateries, corner taquerias, as well as the street food.

Why Chicago Has Better Mexican Food Than Mexico

Chicago Has Better Mexican Food Than Mexico, Best Mexican Restaurants

Carry on!

Old 07-04-2015, 03:03 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I also add a little mayo to my Guacamole , along with the Avocado i also add some chopped onion a little salsa, pinch of cumin, hot sauce, salt/pepper and a few squirts of lime.
5 pages of creative ideas=
Guacamole Recipes - Allrecipes.com

As one can see Guacamole is a very versatile dish,if you dont like peas in your Guacamole dont put them in but to have a national melt down because some one put peas in their Guacamole strikes me as odd.
Made it and tasted it=
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...psbgtkp5uz.jpg
Verdict? while i would say its not my cup of tea when it comes to Guacamole it certainly isnt an unpleasant addition to guacamole. and the rest of the dinner guests said it was good guacamole without me telling them i'd added peas.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:44 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
All gone..

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...psrvix3oe1.jpg

Old 07-04-2015, 04:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
There are lots of good dips and spreads to be made out of mashing/blending/pureeing vegetables, beans, fruits, whatever. Nothing saying that peas can't be used to make a dip. Nothing saying you can't make a kip using avocado, peas, whatever else you like.

It's just not guacamole.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:06 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
When I went vegan-ish, any oil and avocado was off limits. (it wasn't true vegan but it really ended up being mostly vegan)
ANYWAY there was a great recipe using tofu, and two different types of beans - lima and green I think, along with a dollop of salsa and it was amazing. Hard to tell it wasn't avocado, believe it or not! And I'm sure lots of you don't believe it. So yep, I'd be willing to toss a pea or two in there!

I do love avocado.
Why would avacados be off limits to a vegan?

Old 07-05-2015, 04:48 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
That idea (peas in the guacamole) sounds like "chalk on a blackboard ".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink