Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2015, 01:46 PM

566 posts, read 592,701 times

Advertisements

Making a homemade loaf of bread is so splended, and successfully baking a gluten free loaf is divine!

I have only heard of this pricey machine, but not any other with a GF setting.

Zojirushi BB-PAC20 Home Bakery Virtuoso. <--- $270 😨

Are there other brands with a gluten free setting that don't burn out or give you troubles?

I would sure love to know what has worked for you.

Any gf bread machine recipes anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 02:52 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
I haven't purchased one yet, but I've done some research on what to look for in a bread machine for GF bread. Two things that are apparently important ... GF bread requires A LOT of mixing, so getting a machine with two paddles (as opposed to one) is very helpful. Also, GF breads only require one rise, so it's important to get a machine with programmable cycles. In fact, some things I've read suggest that it's more important to get a machine with customizable cycles than one with a pre-programmed GF cycle.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:11 PM

Oh yes, so the cycle is the method to the madness. I had forgotten there was only one rise to GF bread. Great point!!

Hmmm, so if there are several other bread machines with programmable cycles, I can see the reviews to make a choice.

I haven't had any luck finding any GF setting options except for the Zojirushi. Now I have an alternate way to search.

Off to check it out. Thanks!

Old 07-10-2015, 05:19 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
I will say that Zojirushis are EXPENSIVE but they make a damn good product. I spent a small fortune on my Zoji rice cooker, and I'm simply in love with it.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:26 PM

King Arthur flour sells them at a discount only around the holidays... their model has two paddles, settings for regular bread as well as gluten free. I'm guessing the cost is worth it if its durable for all kinds of flour batters.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:50 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
If it needs more rising/mixing times etc. Look for a machine that let's you choose weight of bread, doneness of bread color and option for dough only in addition to choosing what type of bread. That's what my machine has.

I have some recipes that call for a double rising time. So I set it to dough cycle. Let it finish and "rise". And then I set it for whatever bread cycle (white, 1 pound, dark crust) and set it. So you might have to play around with it. There's also a fast rise option too which you can do twice.

Good luck in your search!

Old 07-11-2015, 10:37 AM

Momofthree.

Your machine sounds really great!

What kind of machine do you have?

Oh, and am I understanding this right, the different bake times is what allows for baking GF?

I think you're about to really answer my conundrum...

Can't wait to hear back from you!!! Eeeek, so excited!

Old 07-11-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
Momofthree.

Your machine sounds really great!

What kind of machine do you have?

Oh, and am I understanding this right, the different bake times is what allows for baking GF?

I think you're about to really answer my conundrum...

Can't wait to hear back from you!!! Eeeek, so excited!

I got mine at the thrift store but it's the tall upright one called breadman. I was responding to the poster that said more mixing is needed etc. I was thinking instead of trying to find a specific GF cycle, you can find one where you play around with the various functions to achieve the result you want. Like mine had those various functions plus cycles allowing for customization if the part cycles aren't what you need.

As for the baking, if they require longer baking, you can set it for darker crust, less baking, light crust etc.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:44 AM

Ahh, such nuances. Thank you for the insight.

Its probably best to visit a store that sells a few with your info in mind to see the options, buzzers and bells.

Nice of you to reply ~ again, my thanks 👏👏👏

Old 07-11-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
Ahh, such nuances. Thank you for the insight.

Its probably best to visit a store that sells a few with your info in mind to see the options, buzzers and bells.

Nice of you to reply ~ again, my thanks 👏👏👏
Yes, look at the display, they also have several on amazon so you can narrow them down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink