Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 12:38 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I am quite confused about the issue with "meats and salt".

Many sources say "don't salt meat prior to cooking because it will draw out the juices".

Yet others talk about marinades and dry marinades, salting and letting the meat sit with the salt on, even cutting a slit into the meat so the salt will penetrate the meat and bring out the flavor, etc.

Which one is it?

In my experience, if I do not marinate/salt the meat in advance and let it sit, the food comes out bland. Barely tasty on the surface, and completely bland inside.

To me, it is not enough to season the dish towards the end or even cook with it for a reasonable period of time (15-20 min).

Unless I had the meat sit with the salt on it for a while, it comes out bland.

Any suggestions? Thank you so much!
I think it depends on what type of meat. We have always, as my dad did, mash garlic, salt and pepper and smear it, with a little butter or oil on our steak before grilling. If anything it can hold the juices in. I have a problem with using lemon juice on meat. I think that can dry it out some. We do not use salt when we are smoking something; not until the meat is well on its way to being ready. Then I will use a rub and yes, salt. As for cutting slits in meat, we have always just done that to add extra garlic, not salt. I guess we all have our own ideas about what works best. I think the most important thing is cooking meat at the correct temp and the correct timing, not so much the seasoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 12:40 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,450,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
O.p. I haven't read the link but there may be some information in there you can use.

Jamie Oliver - Forums / geoffp are you watching! - beta

Thank you for the link, Leisesturm.

As I figure out one basic decent curry, I will try more variations in terms of ingredients, types.

For me, the trouble was that I had only tried a few "quick" type of curries, not the kind you simmer all day. I read these are "westernized" versions.

I would do the "onion, ginger, garlic" thing, then added the spices, then the meat, then the thickening agent (tomatoe sauce, yogurt, whatever). That was that - and the result was a gritty curry without depth of flavor.

Now I am doing something along the lines of this (below) with the sauce only first. The only difference was that I cut the ingredients small and sauteed them before covering with water for simmering.

The guy here gets them straight into a pot, cut in larger pieces and does not sautee, just lets the heat extract moisture.

https://jamie.curle.io/posts/british...e-curry-gravy/

I got to the stage of returning the sauce back to the pot after I put it in the processor. Yes, it changed the color just like in the picture, from brown to yellow.
All good...but I tasted again at this stage and I am still not feeling any BIR-level flavor that would blow me away. It's good but it's far from a "wonder" sauce so far.

I have high hopes for the next stage - two hours of water evaporation (I suppose this is called reduction, or something like that). The guy says this one is crucial - he'd better be right.
If it's still not blowing me away after 2 more hours of THIS...then it means I did not season well or i am cursed.

More salt? More acid? More something?
This is where I usually get stuck.

A curry done really well (as in good Indian restaurant) is the best food I have ever had. Better than any fancy French ANYTHING. But it seems as if no matter what you do at home, you'will always be far from that, when it comes to curries.

For now, I just need to figure out how to season my meats for any dish, in general.

At least today I learned here that I must salt in advance (and let sit), not matter what. :-).

Old 08-06-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think the most important thing is cooking meat at the correct temp and the correct timing, not so much the seasoning.
Well...I had done that, but it still came out unsatisfactory and bland without salting in advance.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:10 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,982,868 times
After reading that recipe, I can only hope it comes out deserving of the 7 hours involved. Yikes.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:38 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,946,925 times
I have a couple dozen spices to use so will pick at random 5-6 for a mix combo.....every meal tastes different as a result.

I like center thick cut of Pork Steak......make a few slices with a knife and sprinkle in Garlic Salt and/or Red Paprika while frying slowly and turning over often.......heck even tried BBQ sauce as a flavor......even Bacon bits for a change.....whatever it takes...like I said every meal tastes different.

As for Chicken, have cut way down on that as of late.......ditto with the Steak prices out of sight.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
After reading that recipe, I can only hope it comes out deserving of the 7 hours involved. Yikes.
OK...point me to a better one. :-)

PS: Tasted, sauce is done. It came out good. Clearly better than my previous quick and gritty curries...but the flavor is only "good". Not phenomenal...as the guy implied on the site.

So yes. Point me to the "phenomenal" curry recipe. The BIR kind, where you leave the restaurant praying you will one day be able to figure out such of work of art. :-))))
You sound like you hold the secret to that one.

If you think this one is "yikes", you would have died if you'd tried my previous ones. :-))))
So as far as I am concerned, this was an improvement,

But you're right. When it takes 7 hours...it should taste like Heaven. Not just "good".

Last edited by syracusa; 08-06-2015 at 02:51 PM..

Old 08-06-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post

Right. Except that you would pay tons of money for a little bit of sauce.

If you referred to this as a complement to a home-cooked sauce, I can see that.
But to just cook the meat and then simmer it in Patak, bought sauce...it may be nice but I assume it would end up costing a lot.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:24 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,265,079 times
cook to YOUR tastes of what you like.... if you like salt on before,,then salt it

I will bring meat to room temp before cooking,,,i will also salt or marinade before cooking...

Old 08-06-2015, 04:27 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,837,235 times
I read that link, out of curiosity, where did you buy your spices? These specifically:
  1. Big curry spoon of coriander seeds ( dry roasted and ground)
  2. Big curry spoon of ground cumin
  3. Big curry spoon of asafoetida
  4. Big curry spoon of ground fenugreek
  5. Big curry spoon of curry powder
  6. Most of a big curry spoon of ground turmeric
Hopefully you have bought them at an Indian/Pakistanian grocery store...

Old 08-06-2015, 07:39 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,912,100 times
Depends. Brine & rinse for chicken, for steak, I like to salt maybe 30-60 min prior to cooking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink