Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 06:50 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times

Advertisements

Do you share your home made food or baked goods with neighbors, co-workers, friends, others for no reason? For helping you out? Because they shared produce out of their garden with you? You get the idea......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 06:56 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
Yes - many times it is just too much for the two of us to each so we share It is part of my new diet plan, feed everyone else around me so they become bigger and I look like I went on a diet

I am also amazed how few people bake or cook from scratch any more so they appreciate the home baked goodness.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:00 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,476 times
Me and my girlfriend love to share food.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:48 AM

153 posts, read 198,237 times
It's just my hubby and I... so when I bake goodies/treats (usually weekly), I take our share (usually a 1/4-1/3 of it), then give the rest away.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:59 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I like to bake, but I live alone and I don't need to be eating all of the baked goods by myself. I'll often bake something, save a few portions for myself, and take the rest to work or give it to friends or neighbors.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:08 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Very seldom. I don't bake very often except for one vegan friend I try to make things for and I don't grow produce.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:23 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,688 times
Yes and no. Oh come on, it's ME - you all KNOW I can't give a simple answer!

For veggies, not anymore. We used to back when we had a garden that actually produced something. We'd give the extra to friends - we really didn't have neighbors - and when they stopped speaking to us because we had given them too much produce (especially tomatoes one year), we started throwing them in the yard for the dog to chase. That dog loved tomatoes. She'd catch them on the fly, bite down, then leave it in the grass - she could do that for hours. Cucumbers she treated much like a stick and would bring them back. One year, we couldn't get RID of the darn things. I was almost afraid our FRIENDS would start bringing them back like the dog did. I miss that dog...

Now, we don't give ANY produce away - we still have a few plants (we've since moved and have some plants in planters on the deck) but there's nothing to give away or even for us to eat because the weasels get them. Well, I call them chipmunks, my husband says they're weasels. They attacked one of my three remaining tomatoes today while we were out - and the little jerks didn't even eat the whole thing! I give them bread, I give them sunflower seeds - but NOOOOOOOOO - they want my tomatoes!! I should just give them a head of lettuce, some croutons, and that bottle of Thousand Island dressing we never seem to finish - I mean really! Next they'll be wanting wine service or something.

Baked goods - yes, I used to do a lot of baking when my son was smaller and we always shared with the families of his friends. Now, since it's just the two of us, I do real baking once a year - around Christmas - and those platters (I make about a dozen different kinds of cookies and stuff) are Christmas gifts.

Except for spice cake. That is a story in and of itself which I will not bore you with. But they've been UPS'ed many, many places, and I am the go to person for spice cake for everyone we know, and who my mother knows, and her extended family, and friends, and suffice it to say I will never, ever, EVER probably ever eat spice cake again. I don't even need the recipe anymore. I can make them in my sleep.

So, TLDR version, yes, and no.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:42 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Of course, isn't that all part of it?

Old 08-08-2015, 02:43 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Do you share your home made food or baked goods with neighbors, co-workers, friends, others for no reason? For helping you out? Because they shared produce out of their garden with you? You get the idea......
We always share, that is why, when I can of bake I do so much. I am not getting ready to do more pickles, so I can give them away. If the fall I make 6 or 7 friendship breads and keep them frozen, until I have some reason to share them. In a few weeks I am going to do some flavored liquiors to give to my bridge friends at Christmas and when someone gives me a canning jar, I usually give one back to them with something it.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:17 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Yes -- like the title character in Mr. Frost, I love to cook and bake but my appetite is small, so it's either share or toss out a lot of what I make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink