Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 09:55 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,291,458 times

Advertisements

I remember it being a treat to get Smaks hamburgers when I was a kid in the 60s. The food actually tasted good. So did McDonald's. It was real food! If the food were the same now as it was then, it would be great. But it's not.

I got KFC tonight for the first time in a long time. The mashed potatoes were instant mashed potatoes. The macaroni and cheese had a sort of chemical taste. The corn was dry. The chicken was soggy and the original recipe breading/crust was falling off. It smelled like a bucket of grease. I took a bite or two of each thing and I was done. Might as well throw the rest away; I'm not going to eat it. I remember when Kentucky Fried Chicken was really good, both the chicken and the sides. Now it's disgusting.

I don't see how places stay in business serving "food" like this. What about places that sell "chicken" with the fake grill stripes on it? It's definitely not real chicken, or it's random chicken pieces pressed together. On the Border serves that questionable chicken. I don't order chicken anything there. But other places do it too. Sometimes I just order a meatless entrée because I don't want any mystery meat on my plate.

Why can't they serve real food? I know it's probably cheaper to serve the crap they are serving, but I can't be the only person who refuses to eat it.

Same with school cafeterias. When I went to school, they cooked everything from scratch. It smelled and tasted wonderful. Now they open industrial sized cans of crap and feed the kids. What's up with that? When are we going to INSIST on real food?

I think they are going to continue to do this until people just refuse to eat it. I can't help but think that our grandparents and great grandparents would refuse to eat the stuff we are being served today and would be shocked to see what we are eating. They knew what real food was.

It's to the point that I'm going to start cooking more because I just can't stand the stuff they try to pass off as food!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 10:29 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,751,509 times
That's why I stick to local places now where ever I go. Yes even then you get frozen, nuked, then deep fried junk. But with the advent of all the review sites it's easy to pick out the good ones.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:31 PM

32,964 posts, read 36,449,858 times
I haven't bought anything from KFC for years. The food like substances are terrible. Same for the rest of the chains.

Yes, I remember when fast food was good. Was that the '70s?

Old 08-29-2015, 02:32 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,567,333 times
Yes, sure do remember. There was this place before Micky D got so extensive, called Burger Chef.
The food was good, real hamburger, nice crisp lettuce and tasty. Not greasy at all. I guess Corporate America happened and everything went south.
Like Luizanne mentioned, KFC is garbage, you couldn't pay me to eat that. Oh well, I like to cook anyway, and it's healthier when you choose your own ingredients.
Mom and Pop places are much better choices if you want to eat out, imho.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:20 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,715,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I remember it being a treat to get Smaks hamburgers when I was a kid in the 60s. The food actually tasted good. So did McDonald's. It was real food! If the food were the same now as it was then, it would be great. But it's not.

I got KFC tonight for the first time in a long time. The mashed potatoes were instant mashed potatoes. The macaroni and cheese had a sort of chemical taste. The corn was dry. The chicken was soggy and the original recipe breading/crust was falling off. It smelled like a bucket of grease. I took a bite or two of each thing and I was done. Might as well throw the rest away; I'm not going to eat it. I remember when Kentucky Fried Chicken was really good, both the chicken and the sides. Now it's disgusting.

I don't see how places stay in business serving "food" like this. What about places that sell "chicken" with the fake grill stripes on it? It's definitely not real chicken, or it's random chicken pieces pressed together. On the Border serves that questionable chicken. I don't order chicken anything there. But other places do it too. Sometimes I just order a meatless entrée because I don't want any mystery meat on my plate.

Why can't they serve real food? I know it's probably cheaper to serve the crap they are serving, but I can't be the only person who refuses to eat it.

Same with school cafeterias. When I went to school, they cooked everything from scratch. It smelled and tasted wonderful. Now they open industrial sized cans of crap and feed the kids. What's up with that? When are we going to INSIST on real food?

I think they are going to continue to do this until people just refuse to eat it. I can't help but think that our grandparents and great grandparents would refuse to eat the stuff we are being served today and would be shocked to see what we are eating. They knew what real food was.

It's to the point that I'm going to start cooking more because I just can't stand the stuff they try to pass off as food!
It's real food.....if it's not real what is it?

What you are ranting about is pre-prepared or mass produced foods. There are plenty of places that cook from scratch...you just have to pay attention to where you are eating at but it's not that hard to do.

Why don't schools cook everything like they used to? There budgets have been slashed to hell by people that dislike public schools...they don't have money for the staff that would cook any longer.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:30 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,898,134 times
I remember working at McDonald's in the late 60's as a kid. Hamburgers were very good, when the BigMac was introduced it was huge, flavorful. Taco Bell, the shell were filled with meat, not lettuce like today. I guess along with everything else, short cuts, smaller sizes, a bigger profit margin.

When I want a burger or a taco, I will go to small local owned places I know use fresh local beef or chicken. Haven't eaten chain fast food in over 10 years.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:38 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,615,568 times
a lot of techniques have changed in the whole farm-to-consumer process as well. Factory farming and factory animal raising have changed the varieties, flavors and textures of all the foods. Spoilage is deterred by chemical sprays and freezing or near-freezing refrigeration which also changes/lessens the flavors and textures. Even if those chains started cooking the way they did in the '60s and early '70s, the food would still not taste as good or the same. It would still have less flavor and less texture because the ingredients are less than what they were back then.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:43 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,996,790 times
If you're buying a meal from a company whose stock is publicly traded, you're buying a meal from a company with a stated objective of efficiency and QC (and that's consistency of product, not great taste) first and quality of ingredients pretty far down the list. The moment stockholders get nervous about profits, cost-cutting ensues and the first place to get cut is almost always the actual food - how to make ingredients cheaper to acquire.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:02 AM

88,680 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post

I remember when I went to get a sandwich at our work cafeteria and saw them opening a can of chicken salad. I didn't even know it was possible to can chicken salad. Never ate that there.

So many places just serve pre-made frozen food now.

Another shocked was what is in some of that pre-made food. When my daughter started having digestive problems with wheat, we asked to see gluten-free menus in some of the chain restaurants. MASHED POTATOES were not on the gluten-free menu, so I asked why. Mashed potatoes are made with potatoes, butter, and milk. That's it. It turns out that most places serve mashed potatoes with flour in them. WHY? WHY? WHY? Why in god's name would anyone put FLOUR into mashed potatoes? It's not necessary. It would explain the off taste, but I suspect it somehow helps keep the consistency when the stuff is being reheated from whatever form it arrived in at the restaurant.

That's just wrong.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:06 AM

88,680 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Yes, sure do remember. There was this place before Micky D got so extensive, called Burger Chef.
The food was good, real hamburger, nice crisp lettuce and tasty. Not greasy at all. I guess Corporate America happened and everything went south.
Like Luizanne mentioned, KFC is garbage, you couldn't pay me to eat that. Oh well, I like to cook anyway, and it's healthier when you choose your own ingredients.
Mom and Pop places are much better choices if you want to eat out, imho.
Whoa, I remember Burger Chef! There was one in the Poconos, where we went for vacation in the summer. Wow, that was a blast from the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink