Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 08:53 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'm allergic to high fructose corn syrup and aspartame.

Health Effects of Aspartame on Diabetics (video)

I also have concerns about aspartame. It is in babyfood and is considered, by many, to be a neurotoxin. I have more links I'll try to find and post.
Now I can see how that would be a problem. High fructose corn syrup would also be a problem for diabetics. However, for everyone else they are better off getting their simple sugars from high fructose corn syrup than say from a slice of bread, for example.

I think we would all be better off if we avoided consuming artificially created sweeteners, if at all possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 01:43 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbon7462 View Post
I have always been a strong diet drinker, until I learned about aspertane. The artificial sweetner in diet sodas. Known to cause cancer. Well now I am trying to cut back but I just miss it sosososo much! Anyone else bothered by this or am I just crazy?
I have also been freaked out lately with the claims of aspartame causing brain tumors. I stopped using the "blue packets" for my coffee and went back to using plain old sugar.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:40 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,590,103 times
I have pretty much taken soda out of my diet completely. Instead, I'll just ask for water when I'm eating out, or I'll have iced tea or lemonade (at least if it's natural or home made). I know iced tea has caffeine in it, so I don't have it very often, and lately, a lot of places have switched to the soda fountain type, so I usually opt for water in those cases. With water I don't have to be concerned about my calorie intake, caffeine intake, or how my body will react to what I'm taking in. If I need a refill, I don't have to count the calories. The best part is, I really like it almost all the time. I guess I'm lucky to find many places that have good tasting water, and very few that don't.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:39 PM

60 posts, read 222,563 times
Splenda is not aspartame but it is only a chemically processed product which has been a lot of advertising hype as being safe. I don't believe it is safe. Aspartame was consumed in great quantities by many people and now it has been linked to multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia, and rheumatoid arthritis. Before it hit the shelves, many years ago, testing was done and it was rejected numerous times. Then, somehow, someone all of a sudden decided to give it government approval and it was in all kinds of products. The approval was linked to some kind of a bribe, not because it was proven to be a safe product for consumers. Now, years later, many people are have developed all kinds of health problems because they believed these products containing aspartame were safe. They indulged and overindulged themselves into serious medical problems. My husband always had headaches whenever he dried a diet cola (he's had maybe 5 in his life) and just decided it wasn't worth it. A friend of mine used to consume at least 6 diet colas daily for years and has suffered with fibromyalgia for years now; she finally gave up all diet drinks and foods with this ingredient. Best to stick to natural drinks, like water or juices. I'm always surprised when I see young people and especially children, with diet sodas. It's such a bad habit to get into and a hard one to break.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:11 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
Can't stand ANY of the artificial sweeteners, including Splenda, as they all have a nasty aftertaste and leave me feeling queasy - and that's without addressing the various health issues. Mostly I drink sparkling water with a little fruit juice for flavor - I bought one of those soda carbonators because I got tired of dealing with all the plastic bottles (and the cost).

Old 02-18-2008, 11:02 AM

443 posts, read 1,792,727 times
What a bunch of cream puffs you all are. I could't care less what causes cancer. You're going die of something at some point. Enjoy your stinking life while you still have it and quit worrying about whats going to kill you next.

Bring on the Aspartame, Bring on the Bacon, Bring on the fatty steaks

Old 02-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Xil

118 posts, read 274,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor_McCheese View Post
What a bunch of cream puffs you all are. I could't care less what causes cancer. You're going die of something at some point. Enjoy your stinking life while you still have it and quit worrying about whats going to kill you next.

Bring on the Aspartame, Bring on the Bacon, Bring on the fatty steaks
Cancer is a horrible way to die. Why encourage something so hideous
I'm in my body for the rest of my life, I plan on taking good care of it.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:48 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Try Stevia. It's a plant, natural, and pretty sweet. Or you can just quit on the sugar altoghether! Good luck!

Old 02-19-2008, 12:32 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,154,073 times
Quote:
I think going to all these artifically sweetened drinks causes more problems than it solves.
The problem with regular soda is that they are so high calorie and therefore create weight problems.

Anyhow, to the OP. I drink too much diet soda and I really have a feeling there is something addictive about artificial-sweaters. Its not the caffeine because even when I drink tea or coffee I still crave the soda. Sooner or later I plain on cutting them out, even if the cancer claims are largely false I can't imagine the junk in soda being good for you. Not to mention it gets expensive.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:24 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,487,887 times
careful, there is aspartame in some yogurts too....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink