Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 08:15 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times

Advertisements

I have never read or seen a food blog, I doubt that their tastes and mine are the same but I also read cookbooks like a regular book and use the recipes as a guideline not as an absolute this is how it has to be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 10:18 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,419,949 times
I don't try any recipes from blogs unless there are many reviews from people who have actually made the dish. I find that most comments on blogs are about how "this LOOKS marvelous", but they haven't tried it.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:48 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
I don't try any recipes from blogs unless there are many reviews from people who have actually made the dish. I find that most comments on blogs are about how "this LOOKS marvelous", but they haven't tried it.
I always scroll through the comments until I see some reviews that have actually made the recipe. I was wanting to make Pumpkin coffee cake the other week. On one of the recipes I found there were about a hundred comments all saying "This looks amazing" and then maybe 3 that actually made the recipe and all said it came out horrible. I skipped that recipe and found one where most of the comments were from people who actually tried it and said it tasted great.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:10 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I write a business blog and don't have time for food blogs. If I'm looking for a recipe I Google it.
Which often leads you to ... a food blog. Or it leads you to Pinterest, which leads you to ... a food blog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Typically, there is a recipe which is not very interesting, followed by reviews by other bored housewives who always change half the ingredients. Please, I beg you, do not submit a review of a recipe unless you make the exact recipe.

The reviews always go like this... recipe for brownies.... "I was out of chocolate and eggs, so I substituted butterscotch chips and skipped the eggs. My kids are allergic to dairy, so I used almond milk instead. I can't eat gluten, so I left out the flour. My family did not like the recipe at all."
LMAO! That's particularly true with Allrecipes.com. Not a food blog, thank heavens, but very few of the reviewers ever make the recipe as listed. And while I empathize, because I like to mess around with a list of ingredients myself, if you don't make the recipe as listed, why review it?

Old 11-09-2015, 12:25 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
LMAO! That's particularly true with Allrecipes.com. Not a food blog, thank heavens, but very few of the reviewers ever make the recipe as listed. And while I empathize, because I like to mess around with a list of ingredients myself, if you don't make the recipe as listed, why review it?

Yesterday, I googled a recipe for green chili chicken enchiladas. The link sent me to a FoodTV recipe. The recipe looked pretty reasonable to me.

Then, I looked at the comments. One poster ranted about three paragraphs on how the recipe did not work. And at the end, the poster noted that they skipped a couple of steps.

Wonder WHY the recipe did not turn out?

Old 11-09-2015, 06:26 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Purely a curious question ... for those who despise food blogs and equate them to ramblings and blatherings by a bored housewife, then why do you read them?? And why waste time and space complaining about them? I don't care for Gothic Romances nor Stephen King, but I wouldn't insult those who do by ranting on and on, leaving an impression that anyone who enjoys Gothic Romances, Stephen King, and food bloggers must have a screw loose. All writers write with a purpose and in style comfortable to them - if you don't like the purpose or the style, don't insult the writer with accusatory labels. Just move on. Geesh.
In the OP, I said why I read the blogs, which was a compliment to the bloggers.

What I asked in the OP is why is this writing style so popular. I never said anyone has a screw loose or anything of that ilk, and I don't recall anyone else stating anything similar.

You will note I did not post any links. I did that deliberately so as to not be insulting to any individual.

I guess if we cannot chat about things we read, well then there is not much of a reason to chat at all.

Publishing your writing, in front of any audience, comes with the possibility that someone may comment about your writing style.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:48 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,134,001 times
I love to look up recipes myself. And I find this topic and this chat very entertaining, and not at all insulting to anyone. And yes, it is funny to read reviews where they have exchanged half the ingredients for their own stuff, then give the recipe a bad review. At least I've learned what not to substitute that way, LOL.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:29 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Purely a curious question ... for those who despise food blogs and equate them to ramblings and blatherings by a bored housewife, then why do you read them?? And why waste time and space complaining about them?
Why complain about people complaining? Sheesh ...

Old 11-11-2015, 05:42 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Which often leads you to ... a food blog. Or it leads you to Pinterest, which leads you to ... a food blog.

I know, right? I always make a recipe as written first. Then, if I make it again, I might tweak it, but it is not fair to judge it without making it as written first.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:22 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
I end up on most food blogs because I am googling some recipe. I end up not returning to most. There are pretty much only two food blogs that I go to over and over again. In each case, its because the blog is completely about recipes and cooking, and there is no other filler material such as about the blogger's kids, etc. AND the recipes and instructions they provide work.

My all-time favorite general cooking blog is Budget Bytes - My stomach is full and my wallet is too. - her style of cooking matches the types of dishes I like to make. What I really love about her blog is the full-color step-by-step photos of each recipe. For some reason, having that visual to guide me the first time I make something really helps. Then she has the "save" or "print" button right at the top of each recipe, and that is great too.

My other favorite is a gluten-free baking blog - Gluten Free on a Shoestring - Making gluten-free enjoyable...and affordable.

In the case of those two blogs, I've bought cookbooks from both the authors - I feel like its the least I can do after getting so many recipes and helpful info for free from their blogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink