Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2015, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 631 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have a few questions about what all I can make before Thanksgiving. I hope someone can answer.

1. Potatoes: Can I chop the potatoes and leave them in water for whole night? I know I have seen this in the past, but I can't remember if it changes the flavor of the finished product.

2. Roasted Vegetables: Basically I want to completely cook these and then just re-heat before the dinner. Does anyone see a problem in doing this? Veggies will include sweet potato, parsnips, new potatoes, and onion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 09:16 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,453,459 times
Hi Alice!

I wish I could be more help, but I'm going to say yes on the potatoes in the water, and no on the roasted vegetables.

HOWEVER - keep in mind that I haven't made a whole Thanksgiving Dinner since - well - a really long time ago, so I could be mis-remembering.

Hopefully, someone who knows better will correct me.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-20-2015, 09:19 AM

41,964 posts, read 75,205,836 times
You can mash the potatoes ahead of time and reheat them in the oven after you've taken the turkey out. Add a bit of chopped butter over top. I don't see why you couldn't do the same with the vegetables.

The one day of the year I could use a double oven is Thanksgiving!

Old 11-20-2015, 09:20 AM

4,694 posts, read 3,475,013 times
I can't help you with the potatoes but I'm saying yes on the vegetables. I make ratatouille every Thanksgiving. I always make it the day before and then gently warm it up in the oven while the turkey rests.

Now that I think about it I vaguely remember a trick about making mashed potatoes ahead of time and reheating them in the slow cooker.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:33 AM

811 posts, read 1,147,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Norton View Post
Hi all,

I have a few questions about what all I can make before Thanksgiving. I hope someone can answer.

1. Potatoes: Can I chop the potatoes and leave them in water for whole night? I know I have seen this in the past, but I can't remember if it changes the flavor of the finished product.
You can absolutely make mashed potatoes ahead of time, but not that way! Allowing the potato pieces to sit in water will water-log them and totally screw up any attempt at fluffy, creamy mashed potatoes. Instead, make the dish in its entirety: mashed, seasoned, butter, cream... Then transfer it to a baking/casserole dish with a lid and refrigerate (even two days ahead would be fine). When you're ready to heat them up and serve them, put them in a 350º oven for about an hour. In the last 10 minutes or so of heating, removing the lid and throw on a dollop of butter. Voila!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Norton View Post
2. Roasted Vegetables: Basically I want to completely cook these and then just re-heat before the dinner. Does anyone see a problem in doing this? Veggies will include sweet potato, parsnips, new potatoes, and onion.
Yes, you can absolutely make these ahead. If you don't care about the crispy bits that you get with beautifully roasted veggies, you could just microwave these to reheat them. Personally, I'd do a quick reheat in the microwave and then put them on a baking sheet under the broiler to renew those crispy roasted edges in the last few minutes before serving.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:37 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
I make "Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes" every year. The recipe has cream cheese in it along with butter and milk. There are recipes online.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:46 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,453,459 times
IslandCityGirl, THANKS - I had NO idea about the potatoes - I've always done them the same day - and I really don't roast many vegetables but now, it could be an option for large meals in the future! I appreciate it!!

Old 11-20-2015, 03:41 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
I will fix the potatoes and put them in water early in the day...I've never left them overnight. It really doesn't take THAT long to peel and quarter potatoes for boiling....just do it in the morning!

As far as the veggies...sure...no reason not to reheat..they'll be fine!

Old 11-20-2015, 10:51 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
I make mashed potatoes the day before with cream cheese and sour cream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink