Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 05:54 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

I searched high and low for crème fraiche, but when I found it I thought it tasted most like sour cream. I have never bought mascarpone.
My main questions is, why can't I use just one or two of these things in all recipes? What's the big difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 06:14 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Mascarpone is expensive, an 8 oz container can cost $6, but I've bought it at Walmart for $3.50. I only use it for tiramisu. It's very mild and bland tasting too. It's like cream cheese without the cheese taste.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Mascarpone is expensive, an 8 oz container can cost $6, but I've bought it at Walmart for $3.50. I only use it for tiramisu. It's very mild and bland tasting too. It's like cream cheese without the cheese taste.
The crème fraiche I bought was $5. and the taste is most like sour cream. I guess what I want to know is, whether a thing that is most like another cheaper thing, is interchangeable.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:37 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The crème fraiche I bought was $5. and the taste is most like sour cream. I guess what I want to know is, whether a thing that is most like another cheaper thing, is interchangeable.
It depends on what you are using it for. I can use that Neufchâtel cheese that tastes like cream cheese but milder in place but it won't be the same as mascarpone. I've never had creme fraiche but I read it's a milder form of sour cream. Ricotta I've only used in lasagna a long time ago, but it can be sweetened and used in desserts. I would maybe mix some heavy cream of half and half into sour cream to make it more like creme fraiche. Depends on the recipe and how you will use it.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:02 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
I searched high and low for crème fraiche, but when I found it I thought it tasted most like sour cream. I have never bought mascarpone.
My main questions is, why can't I use just one or two of these things in all recipes? What's the big difference?
Creme fraiche is really just the French version of sour cream. If you don't want to buy it you can mix 1 cup of heavy whipping cream with 1/2 cup of sour cream. You are suppose to leave it out overnight, then stir it and place it in the fridge. You just need to use it in the next couple of days. I know the leaving it out seems weird. I've done it that way before and I've left it in the fridge the whole time before - it was okay in the fridge but wasn't quite as authentic.

For the mascarpone, you can mix a large cream cheese brick (8 ounces) with 1/4 cup whipping cream by creaming it together or the brick with 1/8 cup whipping cream+ 1/8 cup butter. I prefer the butter/whipping cream combo. I have a friend who mixes the brick with 1/4 cup sour cream, but I don't think that works anywhere near as well.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:10 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:

And you also forgot to mention Mexican crema which is somewhere between sour cream and creme fraiche.

As much as possible, I really try to avoid using recipes as it has me running up to the store and buying all of these ingredients that I am not going to use. Wherever possible, I try to develop a plan to use up all of the special ingredient before I actually purchase it.

By the way, in lasagna recipes, a lot of people use small curd cottage cheese instead of ricotta. The cottage cheese is generally a lot cheaper and up until maybe ten years ago, much more available.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:17 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
IMO, I wouldn't substitute these ingredients... I don't think they're necessarily interchangeable, because the fat content can be very different, for one thing. Crème fraiche and sour cream are around 30% fat content, while yogurt can be very low fat-- this can make a huge difference to how a recipe turns out.

Keep in mind, that cooking is part chemistry. The ingredients interact while the recipe is prepared. Crème fraiche and sour cream are more interchangeable with one another, then say, ricotta (a tangy cheese) and yogurt.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:05 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
$2.99 at Trader Joe's.

I've been thinking of making a small batch of tiramisu filling with cream cheese just to satisfy my curiosity. Anyone ever try that?

Old 12-05-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Creme fraiche is really just the French version of sour cream. If you don't want to buy it you can mix 1 cup of heavy whipping cream with 1/2 cup of sour cream. You are suppose to leave it out overnight, then stir it and place it in the fridge. You just need to use it in the next couple of days. I know the leaving it out seems weird. I've done it that way before and I've left it in the fridge the whole time before - it was okay in the fridge but wasn't quite as authentic.

For the mascarpone, you can mix a large cream cheese brick (8 ounces) with 1/4 cup whipping cream by creaming it together or the brick with 1/8 cup whipping cream+ 1/8 cup butter. I prefer the butter/whipping cream combo. I have a friend who mixes the brick with 1/4 cup sour cream, but I don't think that works anywhere near as well.
Thanks for the tip. I have never made anything with mascarpone, so not too concerned about that, but if I can avoid driving 30 minutes for crème fraiche I will try to make it.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:28 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
One of my favorite dinners ever was creamy polenta with roasted portabella mushroom in a wine sauce topped with mascarpone cheese and fresh herbs. Had it in a restaurant many years ago and have tried to recreate it at home several times since then but could never get it quite right. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink