Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 07:35 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times

Advertisements

The bf and I are thinking of dropping some money on good cookware so we stop replacing the crap ones we keep buying and it would be healthier for us as well. We were looking at Le Crueset. Does anyone have these and what do they think of them? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 07:51 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
The bf and I are thinking of dropping some money on good cookware...
Look for mechanical characteristics, avoid buying "sets" and avoid expensive brand names.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:18 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
The bf and I are thinking of dropping some money on good cookware so we stop replacing the crap ones we keep buying and it would be healthier for us as well. We were looking at Le Crueset. Does anyone have these and what do they think of them? TIA
I have selected pieces of several brands, including a couple of pieces of Le Creuset. But I also have some plain cast iron, some stainless, some hard anodized, and a couple of good non-stick. Each has advantages for different things.

To best advise you, please say more about how you cook, and about what appeals to you about Le Creuset.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:35 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times
We're going to piece them together as we phase out our old stuff. I cook normally nothing crazy but I'm just tired of spending money on crap. I have friends who have Le Crueset and are happy but other opinions are always helpful

Old 08-08-2013, 07:12 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Quote:
We're going to piece them together as we phase out our old stuff. I cook normally nothing crazy but I'm just tired of spending money on crap. I have friends who have Le Crueset and are happy but other opinions are always helpful
Le Crueset is OK cookware for many cooking styles, but also consider Descoware. Or shop around for Griswold enameled cast iron in good condition, which I think is better cast iron than the other two.

But what really counts is how you cook, what you cook, and whether or not you're interested in the committment it takes to keep the cookware in good shape. For example, I have a Descoware pan that has never seen anything in it but eggs for over 45 years, and it's a wonderful pan for 2-4 eggs any style.

Of passing interest ... I bought a Sam's Club (also seen at WalMart) enameled cast iron dutch oven two years ago, and it was a fraction of the price of Le Crueset. IMO, it cooks as evenly and has performed excellently for us. Gets used on our Waterford Stanley wood cookstove almost every day during our long winters; there's always a pot of stew or soup simmering on the stove since we use the woodstove for heating during the winter months. Having cooked with crappy chinese cast iron cookware in the past, I was surprised at how well this new item worked for us. Apparently, a buyer spec'd a decent quality of cast iron and you'll see these as a seasonal item in the stores.

OpenD has good advice ... you'll get the most meaningful responses if you identify the type of cooking you do and your expectations about the cookware performance. If nothing else, try using a couple pieces of Le Crueset or buying a smaller one to try out before making a larger committment to their products.

PS: Don't rule out plain cast iron cookware. Properly seasoned and maintained, it's a pleasure to cook on and can easily last a lifetime. I prefer Griswold, but also have some old Wagner & Wapak that is excellent. Don't much care for the newer Wagner, don't like Lodge at all.

Last edited by sunsprit; 08-08-2013 at 07:35 PM..

Old 08-08-2013, 07:49 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,945,917 times
If you aren't cooking gourmet frequently for large dinners, you won't get your money's worth from expensive gourmet cookware. Buying special pans for things that you don't cook often normally ends up being a waste of money.

I have several seasoned Lodge cast iron skillets and Dutch ovens, and couple of enameled Dutch ovens for tomato-based/high-acid dishes. I have a carbon steel wok that a friend sent from Japan (no name brand). I have several Corningware casserole & baking dishes, and a few large copper & steel saucepots, that I inherited from my grandmother. I also have a few Revereware copper-bottomed stainless saucepans and saute pans which I've been looking to replace with Cuisinart Multiclad because they have about the same feel and cooking characteristics but are a bit heavier and more durable (after 20 years, my RW is having problems).

I have cooked with Le Crueset several times and I don't feel that it's quality or performance is so superior to justify the huge pricetag.

So, as OpenD advises... get the cookware with the characteristics you need to match your method & style of cooking. Price doesn't automatically mean quality or ease of use/care... you're just as likely to find good quality cookware to meet your needs at a lower price-point with a little research and test-driving.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:53 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,861 times
I have a few pieces of Le Crueset & I enjoy it, but I wouldn't want it as my primary set. For one thing,it's heavy! I joke that I can hardly life the Dutch oven once I put a roast in there.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:51 PM

878 posts, read 2,737,433 times
I love Circulon...I have the Circulon Elite and have had for maybe five years now and I love it. Bought most pieces from Amazon.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:11 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
I have several good pieces from Lagostina and I absolutely love them.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
We got a full set of Langostino stainless steel cookware as a wedding gift about 30 years ago,all pieces are as good as new and never needed replacing,
If buying Teflon coated pieces expect the nonstick coating to wear off after a while and will need replacing.
We also got a set of Heinkels cooking knives as a wedding gift they also are working fine and never needed replacing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink