Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 11:33 PM

671 posts, read 854,427 times

Advertisements

I agree with all of the observations.

They mean well. Sometimes those gimmicks works and sometimes the restaurant will miss the mark.

I love playing with and making food so I would not mind the make your own chocolate. I have not seen that personally.

I absolutely prefer to pack my own food. The first time that happened I was also offended but I have had a few experiences where only some of the food was packed. It is better that I just do it myself and keep it as much as possible in a condition where I will actually eat it later.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:52 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Unless this was fine dining with white linen tablecloths, that is par for the course in my experience. Anyplace that serves more than a person can eat in one sitting is probably not the kind of place with the pretense to make a production of bringing your food back to the kitchen for professional repackaging by a Cordon Bleu trained saucier.

I prefer to pack my own, anyways. I can see who's handling it and how. Also I'm assured they didn't mix up my take-home with someone else's

Old 03-23-2016, 04:00 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I am totally not into serve-yourself. I pay good money and pay a good tip. I could stay home and serve myself.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:54 AM

24,548 posts, read 10,869,900 times
The only changes I noticed are black napkins. Thank you!

Old 03-23-2016, 06:11 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
"Hi, my name is Buffy. I will be your server tonight"

Like we are all one big happy family.

No, Buffy, you are NOT part of the family. You are the server. The help. Your job is to remain silent and do a top notch job of meeting my every need, for which I will provide you a very good gratuity (provided of course, you make sure to "sell" us some dessert).

This approach just bugs me. So "canned". So impersonal. Let's me know I am in a chain restaurant. Nothing special (except the check inside a book).

Ugh. So sad that unless you are in NYC or a major metro area the individually owned, and unique places, have been run into the ground by places like that high class Italian joint, Olive Garden. $16.95 plus tax and tip.

Plus Buffy!

Old 03-23-2016, 06:30 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
I've noticed menu descriptions getting longer and more exotic, even at small restaurants. Examples from three different places in my small town.

Catch #2 - Wet jerk rubbed seared catch, coconut braised beef short rib ragu, plantain and coconut gouda dumplings, candied macadamia nut chow chow

Braised Beef Short Rib with a Tomato & Saffron Gravy - Roasted Fingerling potatoes and Heirloom Tri Color Carrots, drizzled with house made Chimichurri Butter.

Costoletta D'Agnello - Duroc pork chop seared and roasted with prosciutto, Gruyere cheese and sage butter served with mashed potato

Old 03-23-2016, 07:31 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I haven't noticed any of those trends but one place I went (and will not be going back) brought us an empty styrofoam container when I asked to take the rest of my meal home. We were supposed to fill the container ourselves from our plate.

I guess that's less work for the wait staff and maybe it's even more sanitary because it doesn't go back into the kitchen but for the prices you pay at a nice restaurant, I don't want do it yourself "service."
I'd much rather box mit myself. How is staff supposed to know if I want to keep the mashed potatoes or not? Or if I'm going to flip out or not if the peas are touching the carrots?

Old 03-23-2016, 07:36 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
"Hi, my name is Buffy. I will be your server tonight"

Like we are all one big happy family.

No, Buffy, you are NOT part of the family. You are the server. The help. Your job is to remain silent and do a top notch job of meeting my every need, for which I will provide you a very good gratuity (provided of course, you make sure to "sell" us some dessert).

This approach just bugs me.
I see nothing in that approach that makes any pretense of being part of your family. She told you her name and that she was your server. Not your sister, not your niece. Your server. As you command. You need to know her name in case she isn't around when you need something so you can tell one of the other staff "tell Buffy to get her worthless behind over here and lick my boots".

Old 03-23-2016, 08:00 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I see nothing in that approach that makes any pretense of being part of your family. She told you her name and that she was your server. Not your sister, not your niece. Your server. As you command. You need to know her name in case she isn't around when you need something so you can tell one of the other staff "tell Buffy to get her worthless behind over here and lick my boots".
Ahahahaha! Got me rolling with that one! Somebody needs to smoke a bone and mellow out.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:54 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
My favorite comment from wait staff "Are you still workin' on that?" or a close second "Are you done with that"? If I'm at a diner, okay. If I'm at any kind of restaurant I'd rather hear "Have you finished?" and even better, wait until my silverware is on my plate in the "4 o'clock" position...or at least not in my mouth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink