Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 06:38 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times

Advertisements

I would say this about Chinese food. Don't care for Cantonese or most Northern Chinese (except for dumplings), but Sichuan or Szechuan cuisine could be to die for. I'm a fan of spicy food, and going to Chongqing there was no shortage of food absolutely packed with chilli-peppers. In fact I used to not like Chinese food as a kid, until I expanded my palate and also tried dishes from other regions of China. Central China, like Hunan, isn't bad either, nor is say the cuisine of Shaanxi (Xian) and points westward.

Feel a bit the same about Vietnamese cuisine. Prefer the cuisine of Central Vietnam.

As for other cuisines, I don't really have a regional bias. I appreciate both northern and southern Indian cuisine, as different as they are. Same goes for the creamier/more Alps-influenced cuisine of Northern Italy versus the more tomato/herb based South. Haven't had a chance to sample a ton of real provincial French food but each region seems to offer quite a bit.

As for the US, love Southern US food the most. Down home soul food/comfort food, BBQ, grits, fried chicken, you name it. Jewish food in NY is okay but I'd prefer Southern food. Also like Cajun/Creole food, although gumbo is a bit overrated. New England has some great seafood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 12:24 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
because I am such a seafood lover, I would have to rate the Pacific NOWest cuisine (if there is such a thing) at the top of my list, followed by true Mexican food, which can vary all over the place. If you go to Mexico the Mexican food you get (dining away from the tourist traps that is) is very different from American style Mexican food. I also love Northern Italian food.

Nita

Old 05-30-2012, 12:30 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,043,473 times
It's not so much about having preferences for me, though I am aware of differences in regional cooking of other cuisines. I like Northern and Southern Italian food, but can also appreciate a really good version of an Italian-American dish like lasagna. I like spicy Szechuan dishes, but love Cantonese-style seafood and Northern Chinese pastries. I like the Mediterrean-influcenced dishes in Southern France as well as the more classic butter/cream stuff in central France (and of course, that's not even considering nouvelle cuisine of all regions).

Picking favorites is like picking a favorite song or painting. There's too much good stuff out there!

Old 04-28-2016, 12:12 PM

69 posts, read 85,670 times
For Indonesian food, I like Sunda style Indonesian food the most because most of the dishes are very light in taste and healthy. Sunda style seafood dishes and Sunda style vegetable dishes are my most favorites. Western Sumatra is also pretty good, I like Nasi Padang but sadly I cannot stand spicy food so when I am going to Nasi Padang restaurant I always request the dishes to be not too spicy or milder.

For Chinese food, I like Cantonese and Teochew style the most because they are light in taste and fresh. I love Cantonese style seafood dishes, dim sum, Teochew braised dishes, Cantonese roasted meats and Cantonese soups the most. Sichuan food is also good, but I cannot stand spicy food so when I am going to Sichuan food restaurant I always request the dishes to be not too spicy or milder.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:17 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,611,556 times
I consider the south Louisiana cuisine to be be the best American dining. I definitely like the cuisine of Bavaria best of the German and that of Calabrese best of the Italian. Palestinian is my favorite Mideast cuisine.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:13 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,991,741 times
Mexico - Oaxaca, Veracruz
Italy - Emilia-Romagna

Those are probably the only two countries I feel qualified to have an opinion as I've been all over both. Well, the UK and Canada too, but can't say there's a region I'd prefer. Curry houses and fish & chips aren't a region. And Canada is, well, Canada.

In the US, guess I'd have to go with Cajun/Creole down south. It's not a cuisine that seems to have exported to the north very well in my experience.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:36 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,345,540 times
If you think gumbo is overrated, then you haven't had real gumbo. Not everyone can cook it right, even in Louisiana, and there are variations w/ 'maters and okra that I do not care for, but good gumbo is an experience, not a food item. You'll just have to come to New Orleans and eat some at ACME Seafood to understand, and order the bread pudding for desert too.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:16 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,583,898 times
BBQ = Carolina, you can keep all that syrupy sweet stuff, give me some Carolina kiss spicy vinegar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
If you think gumbo is overrated, then you haven't had real gumbo.
You can't possibly conclude from someone not liking something that they didn't try the "real" version. Everyone has different tastes and preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink