Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 12:41 AM

638 posts, read 594,398 times

Advertisements

I've looked through a few threads here, but have to make a quick decision on a coffee machine, so need some help:

Doing some research online, it seems that some coffee made for Keurig machines doesn't actually work in the machines? Some of the pods I've looked at say "some machine modification may be required". How does that work, I don't want to have to start messing about with things....

I'm not at my vacation place much unfortunately, do the pods keep well? I've never had a bean to cup machine before, how long does an unopened pack of coffee beans last, since that could be an option instead?

Is there any really really excellent coffee available for them? I'm still a bit unclear how it all works, is it a closed system like Nespresso, or can anyone sell their coffee through them?

For anyone thats had a bean to cup machine how does this compare?

How are the alternative 'pod' coffee machines?

Anything else I should know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 01:57 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times
At first, I didn't really want to switch to a Keurig, but our coffee maker quit right around Christmastime a few years ago, and my mother bought us a smaller red Keurig.

Guess what? I love it!

There are so many brands out there that sell K-Cups in so many flavors...I haven't had a problem yet. I'm not sure what you mean about "machine modification" being required...I buy "pods" and have no problem.

In my experience, they keep well. I went a bit nutso last year and bought a ton of flavors, and everything is still fresh.

All of that said, although I enjoy drinking coffee, I'm not a "coffee snob."

I definitely know that some people are more picky about their coffee than others, and those who are often snub Keurigs and similar machines.

That said, along with the fact that I like our Keurig, I would say it's actually a GREAT choice for a vacation spot. I might even think some who don't love the Keurig would agree. It's easy and convenient, and I DO think K-cups will stay fresh longer than, say, a bag or canister of coffee that has already been opened...

Old 05-10-2016, 04:55 AM

638 posts, read 594,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post

There are so many brands out there that sell K-Cups in so many flavors...I haven't had a problem yet. I'm not sure what you mean about "machine modification" being required...I buy "pods" and have no problem.
I think I'm probably a little overly concerned since I was (via random googling) looking on a slightly snobby coffee site, though this is what I'm refering to:

Quote:
As its K-Cup prices fell, Keurig took the battle into its own hands by unveiling the Keurig 2.0 machine, which will be released this fall. The new home brewer will use “proprietary interactive capabilities to identify the Keurig pack.” In other words, it will accept only licensed K-Cups.

In February, Treehouse Coffee Company—the largest manufacturer of private label pods—filed a lawsuit against Keurig, arguing that its new machine is anticompetitive, preserving and boosting its own sales while limiting those of others.

Here's What You Need to Know About the War on K-Cups

Basically the machine refusing to use certain pods, which would annoy me!

Old 05-11-2016, 05:21 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times
Hmmm. Mine is an original Keurig that takes the regular K-cups. There are other brands that make the same type of machine, that take the same types of cups. I wouldn't buy a machine that only takes licensed K-cups.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:43 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Nothing to do with the pods or anything but I've never had a cup of coffee from a Keurig (say that five times fast) that was hot. I like my coffee to start HOT and it never does from a Keurig. You can gulp it down as soon as it's ready and, I dunno, I want to be able to just sip it at first.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:30 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,070,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
I think I'm probably a little overly concerned since I was (via random googling) looking on a slightly snobby coffee site, though this is what I'm refering to:

Here's What You Need to Know About the War on K-Cups

Basically the machine refusing to use certain pods, which would annoy me!

I received a Keurig as a gift and use the reusable Keurig K cups so that I can fill them with my favorite coffee brands. I've been using them every day for 2 years. The new 2.0 model would be fine for someone like me. I would just buy the new proprietary reusable K cups.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:59 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
Our Bunn recently went kaput (wont be buying another) and we looked into getting a Keurig. Unfortunately a good portion of the reviews stated that they tended to break/fall apart after about a year, sometimes as early as 3 months. We're not made of money so paying $100+ for a coffee maker every few months just isnt going to happen.

I bought a simple Black and Decker 12 cup coffee maker with no bells or whistles for under $20 at Wal-Mart thats been going great for the past few months. Sometimes simple is better.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:04 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Keurig. I have one of the 2.0, which is our second Keurig. I liked the original one better. I see the K55 elite closely resembles our original Keurig so I plan to buy one (maybe two) of those while they are still available to use after we are done with the 2.0.

Why do things get worse instead of better? You buy a product and love it and when it's time to replace it you find that they don't make them like that anymore. You would think as time goes on products would get BETTER, not worse.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:10 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
I have a Hamilton Beach Flexbrew. One side makes a 12 cup pot of coffee. The other side makes a single cup of coffee, up to 14 oz using regular coffee. The most awesome machine I've ever had!

Old 05-11-2016, 10:42 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
If you don't mind paying more for convenience the Keurig is great. If you prefer to splurge on some "special" coffee blends maybe not. We are on our third Keurig and this one is the 2.0. We generally use Keurig K-cups so not sure about the compatibility issues. Newman's Own Extra bold is pretty decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink